• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

I also think there was a girl or a young woman murdered in the fields by the school - before the school was built. The murder would have been in the late 50s or early 60s. I remember my mum and dad talking about it. Viv.

I bought my first houd on Landswood close which was built in the lat 60's early seventies behind sidcup road on the side of a hill now known as the kingstanding beacon . I believe in earlier times it was know as the pimple, and the other side of this was finchly road. Now I notice on those old maps "welshmans hill" could that be the same place and if so why would a hill be named as such right in the middle of Kingstanding?

Welshmans Hill and the "Pimple" are not the same place, Welshmans Hill is halfway between the Bush and Banners Gate on the Chester Rd and yes, you will find it on old and modern maps. The Pimple was allotments bordered by Finchly, Sidcup, Ellerton and Danesbury Cres, the place doesn't feature on any old maps i have seen and as others have said i think the name was a local name for the place.

bren

there was a little girl named sheila attwood age 11 years who lived in caversham road was murdered in 1951 the man who murdered her lived next
door to her he was hanged at winson green prison in 1952

i agree there is a picture of her poor mother with the police looking at a garment she was wearing that poor mother to lose a child is heart breaking but to have one murdered must have tore her apart

I also recall a story about a man who lived on Kings Road who murdered his wife, cut her body up, and put the parts down the cavity wall in the entry.

I was told it was somewhere opposite the mount pub

Hello Vikki,
I haven't read every thread on Kingstanding on this site so I don't know if you have already got the information that you wanted a number of years ago.
You were enquiring about the location of Warren Farm.
If you walk down the Charlton Road from Hawthorn Road (when Warren Farm existed, Hawthorn Road was known as Short Heath Lane) to the far side of Norbiton Road and stand on that corner, the back gardens of the houses that stand on the corner of Charlton Road and Norbiton Road are built on top of Warren Farm foundations.
It used to stand at the end of what was known as Holly Lane (Kingstanding Road was also called Holly Lane at the time.
Charlton Road follows, more or less, the route of Holly Lane.
There used to be a large body of water on Warren Farm land called Lodge Pool, the island that now stands at the bottom of the hill in Warren Farm Road is built on top of a filled in Lodge Pool.
Augustine Lewis Wells, my Great Uncle, owned and farmed Warren Farm until his death in 1934.
With best wishes from Rod.

My mum during the later part of ww2 talks of having worked for Birmingham Corporation as a nursery nurse at the day nursery in Kingstanding called the Circle Day Nursery does anyone recall such a place i have seen some photographs of her in her uniform with the children but not of the front outside of the building .Stared early in the mornings when the women went to work in the munitions factory

Last edited:
Hello Skelly - I used to take my two younger brothers to a childs nursery in Good Way Road - just off Hawthorn road before I went to Dulwich Rd. Sec, School. Miriam.

For years I've tired to remember exactly were there was a nursery (the plantsman type) along Kingstanding Road. Now I've just spotted this on Google maps and think it might be the place. This spot is just along from Old Oscott Hill, heading towards the Circle. Does anyone know if this was once a nursery? We used to buy plants, shrubs etc from there, maybe even our Christmas tree. I did wonder if it was part of a farm, but we definitely used to go in through a gate off K'standing Rd. I'm talking about it being there in the mid/late 1950s. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366032541.715237.jpg

I think the nursery was the white hut building in this photo of the Goodway Rd / Kingstanding Rd junction. Originally second photo posted in #271.
Maybe the lady standing at the bus stop has just picked up her child from there ....

Kingstanding_Rd.jpg

HELLO MOHARK. i REMEMBER THE VIEW ON THE PICTURE VERY WELL - SO MANY COLD MORNINGS T TAKE MY BROTHERS TO THE NURSARY BEFORE GOING TO SCHOOL. mIRIAM.

I can see our sons house at the top of the hill on the photo Phil. They have an extra room built on top now though. Hi Miriam. xx

Hi Miriam.
I used to be taken past the nursery on the way to my Nans. We lived on the Beeches Estate and used to walk up Goodway Rd. I think the old Drill Hall is also in the photo and there was a Co Op milk depot, I remember all the horses lined up from the milk carts.
Phil

Yes Bingo ! thats it thank you so much the white building is definalty the building in my mums photographs all i need to do know is if possible find anyone who used to work there . Thank you so much cant Waite to tell her .

Hi Jean,
I seem to remember a deep sand pit behind the houses on Dyas Hill. Not much traffic in the photo - seems a peaceful view even though it was taken in WW2 !
Phil

Some features I often notice in old pics are the old GPO Telegraph Poles - in the photo in #1091 each pole has 14 bars and each bar had maybe 4 wires so a barrier of 56 wires birds had watch out for.
In the road I lived in my kite got snagged on telephone wires, it was up there for months.

Thanks all for your interesting posts. Think I've probably mislead you - I'm looking for the gardening variety of nursery not the little cherubs variety!! But all the same, you've added some nice memories to the thread. Viv.

Hello Phil. Yes. I remember the Co Op milk depot.. and if I am right, later on the building became something to do with income tax ..... very vague, but a friend of those years ago used to work there. Miriam.

Hello Miriam,
I can't remember what the building became. I've just had a look around the on Google Streetview and can see a very large nursery on the corner, and what I knew as the Drill Hall may still have something to do with the Territorial Army because I can see a Union Flag in front of the building but can't read any notice boards.
Phil

Hello Phil. Remember the drill hall - When I was a 'Gel' many moons ago - I remember going to a dance there. I knew a certain person would be going so I dressed my self 'up to the nines' - He never batted an eyelid! didn't fancy me, I expect
but I still remember himto day.!!!!!!!! Miriam.

I'm looking for the gardening variety of nursery not the little cherubs variety!!
My brother-in-law vaguely remembers a nursery with shrubs (not little cherubs) near the old Midlands Counties Dairy situated on the site of present day Heather Croft road, and the nursery probably sold heathers maybe suggesting the road name. The Google Earth 1945 view shows the building with a small field behind, the 2005 view shows the building being demolished, and the 2007 view shows the present block of flats.

Attachments

• 1945view.JPG
    1945view.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back