• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Fair in Stechford!

I am trying to work out something my grandmother told me: she remembers as a child being taken to visit her paternal grandparents, who lived in a gypsy caravan in Stechford, possibly by a biscut factory? Their surname was SMITH and they made mother of pearl buttons.
After emailing my dads cousin, she has a different story, that the person who lived in the caravan was a foreign man, and her mum (my nans sister) remembers visiting him, but they couldn't pronounce his name, so they refereed to him as Uncle Abu.
Does anyone have any stories or info. Thanks, Leighanne.

The fair is at Stechford now and it got me wondering how many years it as been at the Stechford Lane site? Also was it ever anywhere else in Stechford before its current location? :rolleyes:
Hi, I'm trying to research something my grandmother told me:- her grandparents lived in a gypsy caravan in Stechford, possibly near a biscut factory (Palmers)??? And they made mother of pearl buttons. Surname SMITH. any info would be appreciated. Thanks, leighanne

I am trying to work out something my grandmother told me: she remembers as a child being taken to visit her paternal grandparents, who lived in a gypsy caravan in Stechford, possibly by a biscut factory? Their surname was SMITH and they made mother of pearl buttons.
After emailing my dads cousin, she has a different story, that the person who lived in the caravan was a foreign man, and her mum (my nans sister) remembers visiting him, but they couldn't pronounce his name, so they refereed to him as Uncle Abu.
Does anyone have any stories or info. Thanks, Leighanne.
Hi, It seems we have two similar experiences, at least mine and your Grandmother. Wouldnt it be funny if we are talking about the same caravan couple. I have no idea what the surname of my Gt. Aunt Mary would be, other than her maiden name of Johnson. Monsieur le Blonde could well be a 'stage' name. which does not rule out the fact that he may be foreign. Aunt mary lived nr. Wellington in Shropshire in her youth and every year the 'Wakes.' came to Oakengates nearby.which is where she probably met him.. I always thought that the company was Collins. My Gran used to launder the dresses of the theatre troupe that came with them called the Johnson theatre troupe. I have not been able to establish whether they were related or not.

have you any further information?

regards mariep

Hi,
I have found out today that the couple who lived in the gypsy caravan were POSSIBLY my grandmothers Aunt and her husband or common law husband! Her name was Mary, but she used her middle name Adelaide. Her maiden name was Lynch, but she could have been married before. (Maybe to a Johnson!?). We are unsure of the mans name, but my nans sister referred to him as uncle Abu, as he was foreign and the children couldn't pronounce his name. My dads cousin told me her mum had told her this, and that he had a funny moustache, and drank from a cup and saucer which had a moustache "protector" in, which now belongs to my dad. Interestingly, I have found a marr record of a Mary Lynch to an Antonio Cerroni in 1914, B'ham. I intend to order the cert, as I'm hoping it has Mary's father as the same as my records!

There was also a McVitie & Price biscuit factory near there on the other side of the river Cole, fairly near the Bulls Head.
My grandparents lived next to the shops on Stechford Lane/Stechford road & my mother worked at McVities when ahe was in her teens. It must have been fairly close because she walked to work ('''Flaxley Road???).
I remember the fair from about 1950 & also a coal yard on the same site(Jenners?).

Frothblower, No buildings that i remember, they lived in their caravans during the winter. All posters on this thread Google " Showmans Guild of Great Britain" its a great site. Len.
My great uncle married a Drakeley ( Sorry can’t remember her name), they lived on this site in a house, I visited many times with my grandmother must have been 50’s. His name was Albert Rose, we had coal delivered by his sons for many years.

Back