• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Goffy that is where a dog ran out in front of our car as we were going over one of the speed bumps and Pete slapped his breaks on and I ended up with whiplash. You are right they are everywhere now!.

Dave M, The school you mentioned, was that the one on Collingwood drive ? If so I think it is a Medical centre now, When we lived up on Frampton Way our doctors surgery was in that building. Speed Bumps, they are everywhere now, I was surprised to see them along there, being a bus route, or is it now ?

Goffy yes thats the one, I left there early 1959. think they call it, collingwood community centre, stll on the bus routes.

This thread has really opened my eyes, and I thought they were already open. I have spent most of my adult lif in and around Kingstanding and desite livin in the shadow of the new oscott college and my daughter attend cardinal wiseman school I had no idea there was an earlier college and even less idea that it still existed.

If it wasn't 1 o'clock in the morning I would be there now looking at it.

I bought my first houd on Landswood close which was built in the lat 60's early seventies behind sidcup road on the side of a hill now known as the kingstanding beacon . I believe in earlier times it was know as the pimple, and the other side of this was finchly road. Now I notice on those old maps "welshmans hill" could that be the same place and if so why would a hill be named as such right in the middle of Kingstanding?

hi pau...i am just round the corner from sidcup and the hill is still known locally as the pimple...

lyn

hi pau...i am just round the corner from sidcup and the hill is still known locally as the pimple...

lyn
Good morning Astoness, the entrance shown on the pic is where I got the kingstanding beacon from as it is in the iron works above that entrance. Maybe the council had a go at changing what it is called for some reason or maybe they didn't want to comission signs sayin pimple lol.

kingstanding beacon sign.jpg

My house was on the next alley to this picture. It is strange how the locals have one name and the council officials have another. I am/was originally from pipe hayes so tending to use the more official name more.

Hi ypauly. Not sure if the pimple was Welshman's Hill. Welshman's Hill was supposed to be named because of the livestock that was driven from Wales along Chester Road and on to the markets in the Midlands. But someone else may know more. Viv.

Good morning Astoness, the entrance shown on the pic is where I got the kingstanding beacon from as it is in the iron works above that entrance. Maybe the council had a go at changing what it is called for some reason or maybe they didn't want to comission signs sayin pimple lol.

hi paul...you could well be right about that lol.

lyn

Thanks for that ypauly. We are not far from there and I had heard that rumor too. Will ask our local councilor to see if he knows?. Jean.

I also think there was a girl or a young woman murdered in the fields by the school - before the school was built. The murder would have been in the late 50s or early 60s. I remember my mum and dad talking about it. Viv.

I bought my first houd on Landswood close which was built in the lat 60's early seventies behind sidcup road on the side of a hill now known as the kingstanding beacon . I believe in earlier times it was know as the pimple, and the other side of this was finchly road. Now I notice on those old maps "welshmans hill" could that be the same place and if so why would a hill be named as such right in the middle of Kingstanding?

Welshmans Hill and the "Pimple" are not the same place, Welshmans Hill is halfway between the Bush and Banners Gate on the Chester Rd and yes, you will find it on old and modern maps. The Pimple was allotments bordered by Finchly, Sidcup, Ellerton and Danesbury Cres, the place doesn't feature on any old maps i have seen and as others have said i think the name was a local name for the place.

bren

there was a little girl named sheila attwood age 11 years who lived in caversham road was murdered in 1951 the man who murdered her lived next
door to her he was hanged at winson green prison in 1952

i agree there is a picture of her poor mother with the police looking at a garment she was wearing that poor mother to lose a child is heart breaking but to have one murdered must have tore her apart

I also recall a story about a man who lived on Kings Road who murdered his wife, cut her body up, and put the parts down the cavity wall in the entry.

I was told it was somewhere opposite the mount pub

Hello Vikki,
I haven't read every thread on Kingstanding on this site so I don't know if you have already got the information that you wanted a number of years ago.
You were enquiring about the location of Warren Farm.
If you walk down the Charlton Road from Hawthorn Road (when Warren Farm existed, Hawthorn Road was known as Short Heath Lane) to the far side of Norbiton Road and stand on that corner, the back gardens of the houses that stand on the corner of Charlton Road and Norbiton Road are built on top of Warren Farm foundations.
It used to stand at the end of what was known as Holly Lane (Kingstanding Road was also called Holly Lane at the time.
Charlton Road follows, more or less, the route of Holly Lane.
There used to be a large body of water on Warren Farm land called Lodge Pool, the island that now stands at the bottom of the hill in Warren Farm Road is built on top of a filled in Lodge Pool.
Augustine Lewis Wells, my Great Uncle, owned and farmed Warren Farm until his death in 1934.
With best wishes from Rod.

My mum during the later part of ww2 talks of having worked for Birmingham Corporation as a nursery nurse at the day nursery in Kingstanding called the Circle Day Nursery does anyone recall such a place i have seen some photographs of her in her uniform with the children but not of the front outside of the building .Stared early in the mornings when the women went to work in the munitions factory

Last edited:
Back