• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alderlea Secondary School

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Alderlea secondary modern boys school. Shard End
Longmeadow Girls School. Shard End.

Both now housing estates.

Snap. posted at same time as Robert

Formans rd,Yardley Grammer, Alderley Boys, Long Medow Girls, Central Grammer, Arch Bishop Grimshaw.

It was spelt Alderlea Boys and was in Alderpits Road, Shard End. Built in the 1950s but closed in the 1980s as a consequence of falling rolls. Now a housing estate. Longmeadow Girls, also Shard End, was its 'sister' school.

The teachers of Alderlea Secondary Modern in 1961. Picture taken from the Friends Reunited site.

Terry

Attachments

• Teachers of Alderlea School 1961 (Medium).jpg
    Teachers of Alderlea School 1961 (Medium).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 166
001.jpg
Another photo of Alderlea Teachers,July 1967.
Some of these faces still give me the eebie jeebies !

Last edited:
Just looked at the 1961 Alderlea photo and saw my old pal and Castle Bromwich Cricket Club team mate Sid Dennis in the back row

Just looked at the 1961 Alderlea photo and saw my old pal and Castle Bromwich Cricket Club team mate Sid Dennis in the back row

If memory serves me right, he is standing 3rd from right, and he used to be our PE teacher. Is he still alive?

Terry

Morning assembly at Alderlea Secondary Modern.

Attachments

• alderlea (Medium).jpg
    alderlea (Medium).jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 180
Both the schools I went to - Loxton Street Infant & Junior and Central Grammar - now gone, as well as at least two I taught in - Alderlea Boys' and Handsworth Wood Boys'. I don't have any badges etc here where I live in Cyprus, but I'm coming back to the UK for a few weeks next Saturday and I'll see what I can find then.

Graham
What years did you teach at Alderlea & what subject?

Did you know a Steve Daniels? My brother went to Central Grammar but not sure when he left. My sister went to Byng Kenryck. I never did 11+ and went to Alderlea!

Sorry - never in my year, and we rarely mixed too much those above/below!
Presumably Alderlea was mixed? In which case you were probably better off.

Brian

Attachments

• Alderlea boys school Shard End..jpg
    Alderlea boys school Shard End..jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
Alderlea Secondary Modern.Thats where I went along with Jeff Lynne (ELO) and Paul Smith AKA Paul Henry (Benny, Crossroads).

The school badge.

Attachments

• alderlea badge.jpg
    alderlea badge.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 27
Alderlea Secondary Modern.Thats where I went along with Jeff Lynne (ELO) and Paul Smith AKA Paul Henry (Benny, Crossroads).

The school badge.

Attachments

• alderlea badge.jpg
    alderlea badge.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 3
Alderlea Secondary Modern.

The school badge.

Attachments

• alderlea badge.jpg
    alderlea badge.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
This thread has been created from earlier posts on an older 'school photos' thread. Viv

For info. From History Online

ALDERLEA COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Shard End. Opened 1954 as M sch. Reorganized 1956 for B on opening of Longmeadow Girls' Cty. Modern Sch., q.v. N.o.b. 1961: 700.

It was spelt Alderlea Boys and was in Alderpits Road, Shard End. Built in the 1950s but closed in the 1980s as a consequence of falling rolls. Now a housing estate. Longmeadow Girls, also Shard End, was its 'sister' school.
I appreciate this is an old post. I think my father may have gone to this school in the 1950's do you know how I would find out for sure. I know his brother definitely did in the 1960's. They lived in the Shard End area of Birmingham. Unfortunately I live in Ireland so any research has to be done at a distance. Any help would be appreciated.

Back