• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wheeler Street lozells

thought it was the rose and crown topsy...ive posted another pic of that pub on this thread..should still be on unless it was lost along with the others...hope you dont mind but ive sent the pic of your sis in law to another member who maybe able to tidy it up a bit for you...

lyn

Thanks lyn. Thought i would share a pic of the family in the front room.3 more kids born after that photo was taken
SB_32852793-1.jpg

Thanks for the tidy up of this photo john/stars... What a difference. It is such a shame when they get torn or stuck in albums that you can,t get out.

dont know if know this topsy but under the old photographs section there is a sub forum...picture restoration..just post any pics that are damaged and i am sure there will be plenty of members willing to have a go for you..

another cracking pic of the welsh chapel wheeler st..dated dec 1951

img561-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi his name was Charlie Bower he started me kart racing in the the early 60,s my name is Barry Fortnam my father was the licencee at the Acorn Wheeler street Charlie was involved with concession karting at chase water he lived off the Lozells road as I remember

Hi his name was Charlie Bower he started me kart racing in the the early 60,s my name is Barry Fortnam my father was the licencee at the Acorn Wheeler street Charlie was involved with concession karting at chase water he lived off the Lozells road as I remember

hi fortyfies and welcome to the forum....have you seen the pic on post 117 that i posted showing your mom valerie serving in the acorn..also shows my dad sitting down reading the newspaper..pic dated 10th of may 1959....i have also got a pic of the acorn pub if you want it..

lyn

Last edited:
hi barry...dont worry if you give me a couple of mins i will post the pic of your mom and also one of the acorn pub..

lyn

acorn1958-1.jpgView attachment 85698here you go barry here is your mom serving and thats my dad sitting down...dated may 1958..if you click on the pic it will enlarge..just sorting out the pic of the acorn pub for you
lyn

Going to see Mom tomorrow have printed pic Dads got PC but at 86 struggles abit I will get him on it will bring back happy memories what was your fathers name

ok barry...dad is now 84 and his name is george harrington i wonder if your mom and dad may remember him...not sure if you know the history behind the acorn but just in case you dont here it is...that pic was taken by the local paper because the pub used to be a morgue...the bar where your mom is serving was the mortuary and the pub had two entrances..one in wheeler st and the other in wilton st...both were joined by a long inside passage which was known as memory lane...your parents may already know this...here is another pic for you to print off..this is the front of the pub and so taken in wheeler st and to date is the only pic of the acorn that i have come across..

lyn

Last edited:
Brings back memories I will take pictures to mom and dad tomorrow and hope fully get dad to join so he may have some useful in put the up stairs window third from left is were my younger sister was born October 1962 not long after her birth we left and my father managed the Custard House Blake Lane Bordesley Green I seam to remember a butchers show down the road who won the Pools I think it was Lee,s

barry ive read about this butcher who won the pools...have a feeling it c v bulls on the corner of farm st and lennox st but cant be certain of that...hope your mom and dad like the pics and if your dad is not up to joining the forum perhaps you could write down his memories and your moms and post them on their behalf also if they have any photos of the area we would love to see them..

lyn

thanks topsy i had the wrong butcher then lol...what a great bit of news footage ive not seen that before

cheers

lyn

morning topsy..ive played that clip a few time on full size screen and i reckon we can just see a corner of the joseph lucas factory on the left..just trying to find out exactly where the butchers shop was now...poor mrs lee looked absolutely overwhelmed by it all.. mind you a quarter of a million is a heck of a lot of money now so just how they felt winning that much back then we can only imagine...fair play to them and i hope they enjoyed spending it...must ask our dad if he remembers this..

lyn

Last edited:
Back