• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley & Alum Rock

Colin

There are loads of photos of Adderley Road all over the forum as I'm sure most of these are.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley Adderley St.jpg
    Saltley Adderley St.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Duddeston Mill Adderley Rd.jpg
    Duddeston Mill Adderley Rd.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Duddeston Mill Adderley St Adderley Park Inn.jpg
    Duddeston Mill Adderley St Adderley Park Inn.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Saltley Adderley Park 1966.jpg
    Saltley Adderley Park 1966.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Saltley Adderley Park Library 1965.jpg
    Saltley Adderley Park Library 1965.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 193
What super pictures. I didnt know Adderley Park had a library! In the 4th pic is that the Morris factory behind the house or is it the 3M factory where my Dad worked? Anyone got any ideas please.

I went to Adderley School in the late 50's/early 60's. I am sure 3M was in Arden Road on the other side to the park, I used to walk through the park to school from Ash Road. I remember the Morris Commercial Car Social Club, was in Bordesley Green Road. There was a fire late one night which destroyed the building.

I have just looked more closeley at the photos and in the first photo is John Wilkinsons rolling mills. In about 1966 I was secretary to the Managing Director there. The shop on the corner, which I think was Masons when I was young, had gone by then and it was a car park for John Wilkinson. Once again, great photos.

A couple more photos of Adderley Rd, one showing a number 8 bus passing by Wilkinsons Rolling Mills, one of an early version of The Olive Branch and one of an outdoor at No 39.

Attachments

• Saltley Olive Branch Adderley Rd 1930 .jpg
    Saltley Olive Branch Adderley Rd 1930 .jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Saltley  39 Adderley Rd.jpg
    Saltley 39 Adderley Rd.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Saltley Adderley Rd Wilkinson Steel Works .jpg
    Saltley Adderley Rd Wilkinson Steel Works .jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 173
Phil, Thanks for the pictures. I was especially pleased to get the one of Aston Ales as it was between our shop and The Gate. I must have walked past it scores of times but as I left there as a five-year old I was probably not very interested in beer. I was interested, however, in bananas and those are what were displayed in a fruiterer's a few doors past Aston Ales. I wanted those bananas but as it was wartime they were merely waxwork lookalikes. I remember throwing a tantrum until my mother took me inside the shop and the shopkeeper let me touch them to prove they were not real.

My Nan and Grandad lived in the maisonettes at the end of Tarry Rd...Until I fell from the 1st floor balcony, whilst climbing as a naughty 4 year old! Then they were rehoused to Castle Vale to a bungalow surprisingly!!!

Hello bigvern,
I wonder if you could ask your grandparents if they remember any of the people who used to live in the maisonettes, I went to Nansen Rd school and my husband went to Leigh Rd and we remember a few people from that end of Tarry Road.
Regards trebor (Rita)

mizzyjo have you done a search on the search engine at the top of this page or checked out the threads as well. kind reguards sidwho

Has someone nicked all the photographs again? I can't find any!!

maybe worth pointing out that any photos posted prior to november 2011 were lost therefore will not be visible unless they have been reposted by the members who posted them originally...hope this helps

lyn

Thanks for the pictures Phil.
I lived in Ash Road (my mum still lived there until her death last year) and I walked down Adderley Road daily.

Hello bigvern,
I wonder if you could ask your grandparents if they remember any of the people who used to live in the maisonettes, I went to Nansen Rd school and my husband went to Leigh Rd and we remember a few people from that end of Tarry Road.
Regards trebor (Rita)
Hi Rita,
I also went to Nansen Road school, I was there until 1966. My favourite teacher was Mr. Hodgkinson.

Saltley Hall, used to be behind the houses on Ash Road. We lived right next to the opening that led to it. When I was small, the house had gone, but, the stables remained. There were factories up the 'opening' in the stables and other buildings that belonged to the house. The 'opening' was my playground and if I was feeling brave enough would go exploring where the remains of the house were.

Wendy

If this is the Norton Hall under discussion it started life as a Reformatory on five acres of Land donated by Charles Bowyer Adderley, later to become Lord Norton of Hams Hall. Originaly it was a working farm for young offenders. It opened in 1853 with 25 boys. It later became known as Norton Training School and it eventually moved to Kineton Warwickshire.

Phil
Phill,
This is not the Norton hall that is in Ralph Road. My mother used to tell me about your Norton Hall, and she said it had been removed from the back of the houses in Ash Road.

Hi Wendy. I used to live in High Street Saltley and went to St Saviours School next to the Rock Cinema, and to the annex in Ralph Road. My Father told me a story about Reginald Road concerning the builders of the houses in the road. One set of builders started at the Alum Rock Road end, and the other at the other end. When they met in the middle there was not enough room for a full size house. So, somewhere in the middle is a 'narrow' house. I am fairly sure he took me to see it, but can't be certain if it was a fact or a local myth. Any thoughts?

I heard that tale too. And, I vaguely remember going to look for it.

I heard that tale too. And, I vaguely remember going to look for it.

I have an Alan Godfrey copy of the 1902 OS map that shows Ralph Road just starting to be built from the Alum Rock Road end. There is a terrace of three houses on the south west side (ie the uphill side) and two opposite them. They come to an abrupt end at allotments. At the other end of the allotments there is an entrance of some sort opposite St Saviour's church. The entrance cuts through a terrace of houses in St Saviour's Road and there are two houses just inside the entrance. It looks as though Ralph Road could easily start at both ends.

Incidentally, I too started at St Savour's school up the Rock in 1941 when I was almost five but I left after six weeks because I had TB and did not go to school again till I was 9.

I was born at No 79 Adderley Road, my grandmother's shop. Has anyone any photos?

Happy new year, everyone.

Thought you might like this one.

Attachments

• ralph rd saltley.JPG
    ralph rd saltley.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 176
Phill,
This is not the Norton hall that is in Ralph Road. My mother used to tell me about your Norton Hall, and she said it had been removed from the back of the houses in Ash Road.

Fashionz

The photo I posted is of the original purpose built building that was Saltley Reformatory which later was renamed as Norton Hall in honour of it's sponsor Charles Adderley the 1st Baron Norton. The building was on the site of the later Post Office stores in Fordrough Lane, which I suppose was more Bordesley Green than Saltley.

Fascinating photo's.I was born at my grandmothers house which was number 33,I always remember that when approaching it from Alum Rock it was the house with the first high step and the first Black Door knob.With regard to the out door ,number 39 it was later converted into a house and was occupied by my aunt and uncle , Bernard and Violet Hunt.I also remember the greengrocery shop near alum rock it was owned by Betty Bailey and who can forget the shop that repaired false teeth.

I have just found this photo of Michael his sister and friends in the garden of 14 Ralph Road in 1951. This is a very small photo which I scanned in high resolution, it's amazing what you can then see his short trousers on the line and his scooter leaning against the wall.

img189.jpg

Hi Wendy
Great photo, can you tell us the names of the children? I lived in Reginald Road and we could go to the top of our garden and thro to Ralph Road, via an entry.
WendyP

They are L-R Michael Partridge, Margaret Partridge, Margaret Thompson, David Maul boy sitting is Margarets brother David Thompson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back