• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ephraim phillips ltd

I have two original patent and blue prints. The belt punch and one for improved cut off on a heading machine. I also, have a copy page of the patent for the rolling machine that Ehpraim designed and built.

Peter

Ephraim Phillips Ltd donated two machines to the Science Museum, one was a wire forming machine and the other a rolling machine. These machines were not taken to the new Millennium centre. I have enquired about these machines but no one at the new centre knows what happened to them. They were probably scraped along with a lot of other interesting old machines.

Also, D.H.Phillips renovated a Ford model T truck, it was painted green with Ephraim Phillips Ltd written on the outside in gold leaf. The last time I saw the truck it was housed in the Transport Museum which used to be in Aston by the Villa ground. When I was an apprentice at Phillip’s I spent hours cleaning and renovating parts for this vehicle. Does anyone know where this vehicle is now, I would love to see it again.

Peter

Peter the Machines may well be at the Museum Stores at Dollman Street. They have an open day there soon. I doubt the folk at Millenium Centre would know much about what is stored there at all. As for the Transport Museum - many of us are off there on Sunday to start an Outer Circle Bus trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I have nothing to do with the firm itself, can I make a plea to anybody who has any articles to do with any firm not just Birmingham, that you consider making some sort of arrangement for this memorabelia to be donated to the relevant Archives Department or at least arrange to have it scanned digitally, so at least somebody else has a copy. You may find the artifax interesting and relevant to you, but will your family once you are no longer here?

Hi Peter

I didn't know Ephraim designed & built a rolling machine!! Nor that he donated them to the Museum! I'll check with my Dad but its the first i've heard about it.:shock:

Bernie thanks for the tip off! I'll try & found out about the machines, i'd love to see them! Please could you keep an eye out for the Phillips truck as i'd love to see that too.:)

Thanks again Peter :)

Hello Peter

I am amazed by all this info & documents you have! All i knew about my Uncle Ephraim was that he was an inventor & had factories that made screws/bolts etc. Other than certificates its all i had. Now thanks to you i have learned so much more.

I checked with my Dad, but he knew nothing about the machines Ephraim donated to the science museum nor that he had truck with his name on them that was donated to the Transport Museum. I will try & find ouit what happened to them, hopefully this week.

Can i ask what years you worked for EP? Do you have a date for the photo of the bus?

Does anyone know what bus route the 168 covered?

Love the photo! My Grandad worked on the buses, he loved them & would have loved this pic!! Thanks so much Peter ;-)))))

Brummiegal,

You asked when I started at E.P, this is a brief history of what happened during my time there.
• I started my apprenticeship in 1967
• In 1987 E.P was sold to Linfast, who were a fastener distribution company, originally part of Linreads.(During this time I was Toolroom Supervisor)
• 1989 after just under two years of bad management Linfast took the company into administration.
• Brought by a German company called Bauer & Schaurte Karcher (BSK), who to the delight of the workforce reinstated the name of Ephraim Phillips. They invested a vast amount of money into the company, replacing old machines with state of the art equipment. (During this time I was Technical Engineer)
• 1994 was sold again to another German company call GKS-Umfortechnik. (After this takeover I became Operations Manager)
• 1995 was sold again to a UK company called Industrial Fastener Systems (IFS)
• In 1996 IFS was taken over by the Infast Group, (now part of Anixter Fasteners)
• 1998 the decision was made to amalgamate GSK with Centrepiece another heading company within the group, in new premises in Booth Street, Smethwick. We became Infast Manufacturing Division GKS-Centrepiece Ltd.
• In 2005 Infast sold the company to Armstrongs in Darlaston. (I remained Operation Manager, but after 38 years service I took voluntary redundancy)

Peter

I was an apprentice in the 60's at Ephraim Phillips Ltd in Bissell Street. It would be great to contact fellow work mates.
I also have many old ledgers which belonged to the founder Ephraim Phillips dating back to the 1880's, which I found in a rubbish bin when the company was closing down.

Peter
Hi Peter I worked at phillips from 1962 until 1967 when i emigrated to canada. Some of the names that come to mind are Wally cheese Tony whelan, Al reid, Harry palmer Brian tomlinson. I dont recall your name but i do remember the wonderful humour and a time of full employment Ray Turner

Hi Peter I worked at phillips from 1962 until 1967 when i emigrated to canada. Some of the names that come to mind are Wally cheese Tony whelan, Al reid, Harry palmer Brian tomlinson. I dont recall your name but i do remember the wonderful humour and a time of full employment Ray Turner

Hi Ray, I started at Phillips in August 1966, but was at college full time until 1967. I also can't remember you, but remember Wally Cheese, Al Reid, Tony Whelan, Harry Palmer.

Here's a few more names you may or may not remember. Alex Harris, Bob Harris, Bert Martin, Barry Johnson, Dave Andrews, Ken Lloyd, Alan Watkins, Ron Morris.
Regards, Peter

I worked in the fastener/Bolts/screws and nuts business my whole life and finally retired as General Manager of a fastener company in Canda. I started out aged 15 at John Bradley on Holloway head, worked at Thomas Eaves in Ernest street, Ephraim Phillips in Balsall Heath, Haddon and Stokes and Headings in Digbeth, Baxters in Sheepcote street, GKN Newtons in Nechells.
Mickey Breen ran a trainng school funded by all of the Fastener companies in Brum and Coventry and Wasall and located in the upstairs of Haddon and Stokes. What a shame that a whole industry has gone now, it was a great business to be in with a great bunch of people.

Hi Peter
Have been reading your thread and have found it very interesting. My husband is related to Ephraims brother Nephi, so the amount of info you have has been great to read and has given us an insight to this family. If you have anymore info it would be great to hear.

Thanks for the histoy guide to EP
Nicola

I have just found a piece of paper with all the names of the people on the photo which was on the front cover of the 100 year brochure.(which I have attached again.) Looking from left to right on the back row the names are: L.Sandbrook - S.Lashwood - H.Humpherson - T.Brookhouse - A.Sandbrook - T.Watson - A.Hefford - T.Jacks - H.Farmer - G.Wimot - A.Draycott. Next row on his own H.T.Phillips. Next row left to right J.Brannan - H.Eaves - W.Brettell - W.Phillips - F.Horton. Front row left to right A.Chambers - W.Mountford - W.Hunt.

All these gentleman appear again on another photo which I have also attached.

Peter

View attachment 50322View attachment 50323

I performed a forum search for the surname "Jacks" and an entry came up for the thread on Ephraim Phillips. My wife's grandfather was Cyril Jacks who was at some time a director of the company I understand but what I found was your photos with a T. Jacks in them. I immediately recognised him as the large chap on the back row of the cover and the front row of the photo. He is my wife's great grandfather Thomas Edwin Jacks 1866-1948, who was 22 stone. We didn't know he worked at Phillips's but his 1911 census entry for Kyrewicks Lane of screw tool grinder should have given is a clue.

Mike

I remember Cyril Jacks, I think he had retired by the time I started full time after attending College. He returned to work after he had officially retired and worked in the inspection department, inspecting the new tooling before it was used in production. I think I have a photo of him somewhere, when I have a moment I'll see if I can locate it.

Hi Charlie

Sorry about the name mix-up. Yes I do remember Trevor Rhodes, he ran the 3/8 Waterbury section along with another guy called Les (can't remember his last name.

Peter

Hi Peter,
No problem with the name mix up, I get called Mike all the time (LOL).
Trevor is in Canada working in Toronto, he had his own company for a while selling Nakashimada machinery etc and that is how I met him. Now he is managing a small fastener company.
If I hear from him I will tell him that we were in touch and will put him onto this website, Trevor is sure to have somehting to add to the forum.
Regards,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Do you know John Neale? I think his company was call Fastech, I believe he worked with Trevor in Canada. John designed some tooling for us along with another guy you might know, Tony Davis who used to work for Hatebur.

Peter

DSC01382.JPG Old Painting of Ephraim Phillips ltd in Bissell St Birmingham. I dont know who painted it or when ? it looks around the 30s or 40s.

If it was here before, this picture of a bus advert and its colours has been lost so here it is again:

Ephraim Phillips Screws Nuts and Rivets.jpg3467  MHA 467  rear.jpg

Hello Lloyd, i have seen the bus picture before, but not shown in colour as in picture 1. Thanks for posting, nice to see again, All the best FT.

Hello there
Thank you so much Formula T for posting the documents. Ephraim's wife was Elizabeth Margaret Mathews. Its great to see a picture of her, its great to put a face to a her name. They are both buried at Brandwood End & i visit their grave regulary. Love the other photos too. If you have any more documents or photos i'd love to see them.
Thanks very much Brummiegal.

i worked at ephraims twice .iwas one of the first screw operative block release trainees i did six months at bournvile college and six months <br>at ephraims.<br>i worked with dave andrews&nbsp;on the course.the second time i worked with jack day and ray grew also trevor rhodes and big&nbsp;walley cheese . i <br>also remember the the lad who died cleaning the degreaseing machine. my name is les smith.<br>

I remember the name Peter Hunt and a few of the other names mentioned. My name was Karen Russell (I'm married now). I started work in the press shop, working for Ken Long. I think that was in 1982. I then became Booking in Clerk and eventually moved up in the world and became Purchase Ledger Clerk. You may remember my mother better than me, Rose, she was the cleaner. I also had my auntie Sheila and cousin Janet working in Packing. I eventually left to have a baby in 1990. I now live on the east coast.

i worked at ephraims twice .iwas one of the first screw operative block release trainees i did six months at bournvile college and six months <br>at ephraims.<br>i worked with dave andrews&nbsp;on the course.the second time i worked with jack day and ray grew also trevor rhodes and big&nbsp;walley cheese . i <br>also remember the the lad who died cleaning the degreaseing machine. my name is les smith.<br>

Hello Les I remember you, you used to work on the 3/8 waterbury's with Jimmy Jordon. Next to you was Tony Maguire on the split die machines. I still see Tony now and again in Sutton and also saw Dave Andrews who works at Forward Fasteners, I believe he retires this year. I thought you went to work in Canada with Trevor Rhodes.

I remember the name Peter Hunt and a few of the other names mentioned. My name was Karen Russell (I'm married now). I started work in the press shop, working for Ken Long. I think that was in 1982. I then became Booking in Clerk and eventually moved up in the world and became Purchase Ledger Clerk. You may remember my mother better than me, Rose, she was the cleaner. I also had my auntie Sheila and cousin Janet working in Packing. I eventually left to have a baby in 1990. I now live on the east coast.

Hello Karen I remember you working in the office, but not the press shop. I remember your mom Rose and also your auntie Sheila and cousin Janet. I believe Janet's partner was Nick Earl who worked on the Hatebur's. Ken Long and Owen Clearly ran the press shop at the time you were there.

Hello Peter iwas going to canada but met my futer wife so never made it i went to Griffin fasteners in stead iwould love to speak to Tony Maguire and Dave
Andrews both were good friends .Did you know a guy called Barney Mcginness also Elbert Stevenson .I still remember one of the directors taking in his
rolls royce to his private dentist on the Bristol road,a very carring company .I remember the directers used to come and speak to you on the shop floor.
and called by your name.

Hi Les, can't remember the two names you mentioned. I have Tony Maguires and Dave Andrews mobile numbers somewhere, when I find them I will forward to you. Are you still working or retired and do you still live in Birmingham?

Back