• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

You'r very welcome Dennis I remember the tram tracks being ripped up but not the trams I lived in Charles Road opposite the Coach and Horses Derekw

You'r very welcome Dennis I remember the tram tracks being ripped up but not the trams I lived in Charles Road opposite the Coach and Horses Derekw

I'm enjoying all this nostalgia...brilliant pics....is the Coach and Horses that terraccota faced pub.

Where would 181 Bordesley Green have been please? Hubbys great grandparents lived there in the early 1900's.
I think they may have run a shop from there.
Sue

I don't know precisley Sue but the other side of Victoria Street ends at 103 so I would guess that 181 is faily close to the pic in the last post.The shop behind the bus stop was called Hales in the early 50s and the next two were called Pauls a ladies and gents wear shop

I think 181 would have been near Charles Rd, just past the end of the row in the picture.

Nick

Last edited:
Hi Derekw the Coach was on the corner of Norwood Road almost opposite Charles Roadand it's still there it was called Shannons last time I went past . Dick Waddams was there for donkeys years and most people used him but I think there was a cooked meat shop that most people bought the faggots from , I can't remember the name but I'll find out

Thanks Jim, Nick and Bernie, that means they lived not far fron dads family - small world really.
The butchers shop throws another angle though, I am convinced nan said her dad ran a butchers shop and she helped out in there when she was a teenager, that would be 1928 or thereabouts. I wonder if the butcher mentioned would have been that one?
Tied in with that, is/was there a pub close to the butchers with an outdoor? The reason I ask is that nan met grandad while she was working in the shop and he used to go to the outdoor for beer for his parents, who apparently liked a bit more than a tipple!! Only thing that would throw this is that they lived in Cradock Road, which I don't think is near Bordesley is it?
Why didn't I ask nan or listen more carefully to her!!
Sue

Many thanks Berniew,I think you're right about the cooked meat shop.
Some of the other names are coming back to me now,there was Bert Guy the gents outfitters,my eldest sister lived above his shop for a while.Scrivens on the corner of Botha Rd,Laws on the corner of Pretoria Rd and the Era picture house,a Mr Charles was the manager there in my day,he lived in one of the 'Avenues'.

Mr Charles lived three doors away from me in Third Ave, his Son, Bernard, worked with my Brother at the GPO Fordrough Lane.

Mr Charles lived three doors away from me in Third Ave, his Son, Bernard, worked with my Brother at the GPO Fordrough Lane.

Thanks Jim...we used to play him up blind at the Era with our pea shooters and such,he had a wicked temper.

Just a thought, here is a photo of Cyril Price...Head Teacher at Marlborough Road School circa mid 70s. Stepfather of my cousin. Taffy from Glamorgan originally...wondered if any of you remember him?

Cyril David Price .jpg

. Dick Waddams was there for donkeys years and most people used him but I think there was a cooked meat shop that most people bought the faggots from , I can't remember the name but I'll find out

Hi Berniew,

There was a cooked meat shop on Bordesley Green between Victoria Streetand Carlton Road It was named Hydes. I often went there with a basin to buy their famous faggots and peasl It was almost next door to Corbetts the greengrocers.

Old Boy

Back