• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Does anyone have or know where I can get pictures of the police houses in Osborne Road Erdington that have been demolished - I want one of no 33?

img006.jpgHaving looked through many of those remarkable old street photos I thought I'd like to include this lovely picture of 21 Witherford Way Selly Oak taken c 1960. Some in the neighbourhood called it a "poppy cock", but I thought it a labour of love and a picture of joy. I realize this post isn't the usual type but adds a different dimension to the thread.

View attachment 83768Having looked through many of those remarkable old street photos I thought I'd like to include this lovely picture of 21 Witherford Way Selly Oak taken c 1960. Some in the neighbourhood called it a "poppy cock", but I thought it a labour of love and a picture of joy. I realize this post isn't the usual type but adds a different dimension to the thread.

I recall that Birmingham Council did hold an annual garden competition and gave prizes. I wonder if this was an entry?

I was just thinking that I would love to see that house as it is nowadays. It's was absolutely beautiful when this photo was taken. I wonder if it has changed much?

Here's the current Google streetview image that is dated 2009, the address is approximate but I'm guessing that this is the same property at number 21Witherford Way 2009.jpg

What an amazing garden at 21 Witherford Way in 1960. Thanks for posting Anvilman. I had a look at the address on Google Earth. The house doesn't have shutters anymore
and they stood out in the 1960 photo as well as the garden. Nice location even today. What a lot of work it must have been to keep up such a garden but it did look spectacular.

I have been looking through all those historic photographs of Birmingham and I wonder if anyone out there has a photo (prior to demolition) of Victoria Place Halam St Balsall Heath. My late mother lived there in the 1928 era. and I would very much appreciate the actual terrace or something close. Mikejee has kindly given me a road layout of that period.

It is a lovely house, with all the flowers, so many now have gone to block paving - mo is a garden person and in her culde sac there are now only 4 houses with actual flower gardens left - a sign of the times!
Sue

I have been looking through all those historic photographs of Birmingham and I wonder if anyone out there has a photo (prior to demolition) of Victoria Place Halam St Balsall Heath. My late mother lived there in the 1928 era. and I would very much appreciate the actual terrace or something close. Mikejee has kindly given me a road layout of that period.

halam st is a new one to me anvil man but i will see if i can find any for you and post if i can..

lyn

astoness.............mikejee on a thread called Map Request #9 sent me a map of the area I was interested in so you could perhaps refer to that.

Back