• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lucas Great King Street demolition

Hi Sherrill,
I think Heritage Rooms was just another word for Storage space they certainly were not open to the Public, As this was around 1993/94 I reckon they would be probably have been also Demolished by now, So it''s anybodie's guess at what happened to all the Old Birmingham Memorabilia they had stored there. When we were there we had a good look around and there were Statues, Clocks, Picture's, Cast Iron Street Nameplates, Victorian Architrave from old Pubs. Loads of Memories of Old Brum. Probably all been sold i suppose. Cheers .....
icon8.png

Wal.

Hi Astoness
Where can i view the pics of Lucas Demolition as i was a member of the creww that did the Demolition, Thanks
Wal.

waltoo, i think that if you go to a site called lucas memories you will find it und gks factory. kind reguards sidwho.

hi marion...i will see if i have still got the demo pics in my files..if i have i will repost them if not i will have to get the originals off my brother...unless of course other members may have them saved and will kindly repost for us..

lyn

those are they mike...thank you...such a sad sight for those who worked lived and grew up with joseph lucas GKS...

lyn

hi

the 5 years i spent in there and many visits when i worked for Rover.
Hitler coudnt have done a better Job. Looks like scenes from Germany
in the War. Terrible

mike Jenks

hi mike as you can probably see pic 1 shows where the lucas building was either side of gt king st where the big clock was..i could see the demo going on from where i lived on the 7th floor of geach tower..it was a massive job and thats not taking into account the lucas blocks that was in farm st...such a sad end to a major part of brums working industry...

lyn

Yes those are the photos very sad to see they dont realise what a waste this was our industry gone forever
Thank you for finding them for me I will keep them

I am assuming by Heritage Rooms you are referring to the collections held at the Stores in Dollman Street which have regular Open Days. Have to confess I did not see the Lucas Clock when there but then I saw enough of it when I worked there.

During my time workling at GKS as an electrician, I spent some time working with a wonderful man named Colin Webb. Colin was responsible for maintaining all the clock systems throughout the entire site and I learnt a tremendous amount from him. Colin was immaculate in everything that he did. His shoes were always highly polished and his workshop down in the basement was similarly immaculate. All of the clocks, including the big clocks over the bridge, ran on a pulsed system that received a pulse every 30 seconds. There were around 6 master clocks thoughout the entire site that kept the time and each circuit was driven by a bank of lead acid batteries that required regular maintenance.

Talking of the pubs, while I worked there, the electricians, in the main, used the Lord Byron and the Pipe Fitters used the Duke of Cambridge. I recall one very sad event one Christmas during the factory shutdown, probably 1979 I think, when there was a fight during the lunch break involving one of the boilermen and a pipe fitter. The boilerman returned to his post in the boiler house and died shortly afterwards at his work station.

hi lacy...thank you for your memories of GKS..there should be pics of the byron and the duke of cambridge on the forum..

lyn

icon1.png
Re: demolision of lucas gt king st.
hi lacy, many thanks for your post, indeed i do remember colin webb and yourself and most of the other members of g7 wed. i was a mtf based in g7 and worked all over gks. do you remember me big john, if you do please send me a pm, so i can get in touch with you, kind reguards sidwho

hi folks..took an amble down the old end today while the weather lasts and popped into the white house pub corner of unett st and new john st west...ive been in here a few times and never noticed this...an old clocking in clock that came from lucas gt king st...the barmaid reckons there are a load of old clocking in cards upstairs somewhere with the names on them and when the gaffer next comes in she will ask him about it and if thats the case i can hopefully go down and at least take pics of them...could be interesting...any how here is a pic of the pub and the clocking in clock which still works..

OLDENDJAN2013019.jpg

OLDENDJAN2013035.jpg

hi astoness yes that is indeed a clock which was used at gks. the lever on the lefthand side below the key hole was to clock in move it across to the wright to clock out, many thanks for the picture of this, kind reguards sidwho

hi astoness, this may or would be a great oppitunity to discover some great memories for people who are on this wonderfull forum, kind reguards sidwho

hi sidwho yes it would be...our dad worked inside the factory and in the 70s was security at lucas gks i must ask him about his memories also my aunt joyce worked there for over 30 years so will ask her as well..

lyn

What a brilliant find
I can remember when I started at Shaftmoor Lane in the 60's, we had one of the clocks there used to be a rack at the side for you to put your clock card
I'm always amazed at what still keeps turning up but this ones a GEM
Would you mind if I used the photo on the Website

no objections at all jackie...as i said in my ealier post its believed that the pub landlord also has some old clocking in cards..i will be following this one up next week so watch this space...

lyn

You have really made my day with the photo of the clock, and as soon as I'm able I will be going down to have a look at it, it's such a magnificent find I can't believe it
I know you won't mind Lyn when you go down again can you see if you can get any info on how the clock came to be at the pub, I would love to know the story behind it

You have really made my day with the photo of the clock, and as soon as I'm able I will be going down to have a look at it, it's such a magnificent find I can't believe it
I know you won't mind Lyn when you go down again can you see if you can get any info on how the clock came to be at the pub, I would love to know the story behind it

hi jackie of course i dont mind..i did ask the barmaid who said as far as she is aware it was given to the pub when a previous landlord was there..he has since passed away but i will ask to see if she has anymore info..what got me was i have been in the white house many times since the clock was gifted and i did not notice it tucked up the corner..i must be slipping lol...i am still trying to get that big heavy ciggy lighter that my brother has..it came out of the gks boadroom but so far hes not parting with it...will be in touch soon jackie but yes you must try and get down there for a look yourself when you can..

lyn

Hi Bernie
The Heritage rooms where the big Clock from the Central Bridge at Great Kings Street was taken to was Definitely in Weston Road Winson Green. next to Dudley Road Hospital as it was called one time. It was me that Dismantled it and Delivered it.
Walt00.
I am assuming by Heritage Rooms you are referring to the collections held at the Stores in Dollman Street which have regular Open Days. Have to confess I did not see the Lucas Clock when there but then I saw enough of it when I worked there.

Hi walt00
Have you any photos of when you was dismantling things

I will have a ring around see if I can come up with any info on where thing maybe now

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of those clocks myself when the factory came down. It used to be in my garage and I had it wired up to a master lock that a friend of mine in Devon pulled out of a skip! It kept pretty good time once set up but has been sitting in my loft for many years now!

If you find any clock cards with the clock number 18806........That'll be mine!

Lacy

Hello Jackie
Unfortuneatly i dont we did'nt have camera's with us when Demolishing Buildings i think Astoness can tell you where to find some pics.
Walt00
Hi walt00
Have you any photos of when you was dismantling things

I will have a ring around see if I can come up with any info on where thing maybe now

hi lacy i will look out for your number if the pub does have any clock in cards to show me..

walt the only pics of the demo i have has been posted on this thread..

jackie...i was also down at doman st last year and asked an attendant if the big lucas clock was there..as bernie has already said it was definately not on show but the attendent said it could well be upstairs amonst the rest of the articles not on show..said he would have a look and get back to me...he never did im afraid so i really do think dolman st need to be pressed again..

lyn

sorry to report folks that the landlord of the white house had a good clear out when he took over and the lucas clocking in cards we thrown out...such a shame but at least the clock is still there for us to see..

lyn

Back