• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane Pubs

Well that looks really nice, i wish the new management well. Max

so do i max...got my son to take this pic as he passed on his bike earlier....he got off first of course...lol

lyn

its may also be interesting to note that on 9.4.1941 elliots took a dircect hit with a loss of life of 16 people...just noticed that one of the names on the list is arthur moseley so i will check this out as he could have been a rellie of mine...

lyn

I think my rellies used all of them at point. My Grandparents also lived in Ormond St although they died before i was born. But i have heard all the stories over the years .

same here topsy my lot have lived round the area for the best part of 200 years to my knowledge...having a prob here as i dont think i saved the pub pics to my pc and im having trouble finding the postcards..they also came with a map pinpointing the locations...must be somewhere...

ive just realised that on the pic of the geach arms post we can also see the three horseshoes on the corner of cowper st..

lyn

What asuper record of pubs in Summer Lane
Can anyone tell me the name of a pub in the lane opposite the firm of Leopold Lazerus ??? it was on opposite corner as other pubs shown.

Mike Leedham

Leopold Lazarus Ltd were steel stockholders with various sites around the country. I used to sell them little felt pads to be placed between sheet metal to prevent sticking, but I don't think I ever visited their place in Summer Lane. They are, I believe, still trading under the name Macsteel Ltd, but not in Birmingham,.

Lyn, your photos bring back memories of an ill-spent youth! I don't know what it was about it, but when I first realised that I liked beer (!) Summer Lane drew me like a magnet. Two or three of us would catch the No 5 or No 7 bus in Witton Road, get off at The Salutation (may its memory be forever blessed) and then work our way back up to Six Ways. I can't say I drank in every pub in Summer Lane or Alma Street, but I think I managed to get a swift half in most of them. I also played darts (for The Brown Lion, Hall Street) and we had many a match in various Summer Lane pubs. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that apart from the odd "falling out" between drinking partners, I never encountered any serious trouble in Summer Lane. Or maybe I was just lucky. The pub that sticks in my memory is The Cross Guns - an old regular there took a liking to me for whatever reason. I think that was one of the first Summer Lane pubs to be demolished, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I also liked The Woolpack for both its atmosphere and its architecture. They were real pubs for real people - beer, cheese cobs and darts, as my old man used to say.

G

hi G..although i was too young to drink in any of the pubs on the lane in their hay day from what ive read and been told they played a major part in the life of those who lived in the area..breaks yer heart to look at all the pics ive posted and to know that they are no more...only the barrel and the royal george buildings are still standing...the barrel closed for years now and the royal geoge was gutted a couple of years ago..not sure if it has re opened as an eating place (that was the plan i believe)

so that leaves just the stag and i am happy to say it has recently been taken over and money spent on it...far as i know it is now open again and i will be taking a look soon to see whats been done to it...

lyn

Blimey Lyn, there must have been a pub at every junction along Summer Lane! Great photos, and a great record of them. Thanks. Viv.

always a pleasure ray...this is the 3rd time ive posted the lane pub pics lol..

viv looking at the pub map yes there was a pub on quite a few junctions...i was just thinking that even having just a half in every one would have had me reeling..

lyn

taken today the barrel pub tower st/summer lane..as i was taking these pics a women happened to be going inside so i grabbed her quick and asked if she knew anything about the plans for the pub as obviously new windows have been put in and its all gutted inside...her dad has bought the building and plans are under way to turn it back into a pub and eating place...i was pleased to hear that the name will remain...could be at least another year before work is completed..

the stag on the corner of brearley st/summer lane is under new management and work still in progress..

i was told that it seems that work has completely stopped on the royal george corner of william st north/summer lane..

OLDENDJAN2013009.jpg

OLDENDJAN2013008.jpg

Good news that some may survive, a rarer thing nowadays. I was looking at your new pics Lyn. The brewery names on the old ones always seem to be more prominent on the old pubs with the pub name almost secondary. Now pubs give pride of place to the name of the pub. Wonder why that's changed. Viv.

Viv
It's because in olden days (2o years ago) the majority of pubs were owned or tied to breweries, Nowadays theya re owned by pub companies, who are only interested in milking as much money from them in the year.

Oh I see Mike. So I guess if more were still tied to breweries we'd get decent beer. Pity it's changed so much. Viv.

I know nowt about running a pub, but a friend of mine who did run one (not in Brum) that was tied to a brewery once mentioned to me that he was under constant, daily pressure from the brewery to sell more of this or that, do this or that, just to spend 24 hours a day making increased profits for the brewery. He packed it in after a few years, which he didn't want to do as his father and grandfather were both pub landlords.

As far as I can make out, having spent a lot of time there, bars and cafes in France are usually privately-owned and they can buy their beer and food, etc., from wherever they like. Not that it works out cheaper for the customer, as bar-prices in France can be horrendous.

Anyway - I thought I'd get that off my chest, and look forward to a (motorised) ramble down Summer Lane one of these fine days, to see what's happening.

G

Back