• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

Hello Postie,

Really interesting stuff on here. I went to Marlborough Road School also and I remember Dougie blackham.

regards

David
Hello David, who else do you rember ?
Some bell ringers, Danny Canning, Barney Jenkins, Jimmy Worrall, Peter Evans, Pat Postan, Margaret Barratt, Ray Guyatt, the list is endless.

.... Unfortunately, I am unable to get any pictures of Gordon Street, I went there a few months ago to take some photos and its all been knocked down, I was gutted. Do you have any photos of that place?

Good morning, Manasseh,
Although the Gordon Street you remember has long since gone, did you notice that the name lives on? It is no longer a 'street'; more like an alley or passage. And it seems to have been moved slightly to the west, that is, towards the city centre.

Gordon_Street%2C_Bordesley%2C_Birmingham_9.JPG

It's to be seen both on Google Earth and Bing maps.
David

Last edited:
Thank you so much David and woofy that is a fantatic site, i found a picture of the road I lived and the same time period. Thanks once again.

Hello postie,

I remember Barney Jenkins and Victor Jenkins and remember Ray's untimely death.

Here are some names you may remember, Tony Galliers, Peter Godfrey, Mike Phillips, John Savage, Barry Arrowsmith, John Wilkins.

Regards

David

Hi Dennis
Sorry to undermine you but Thomas (Raggy) Allen did not have any children i worked for him for 8 years in 60/70's, and so you must mean one of his nephews there Was Tommy, Philip, Frank, Irene...
He died around 1973/4 with Throat Cancer and i pass his grave regulary in Yardley Cemetery.
Walt00

A great photo, Stitcher! Thank you. I lived in Blake Lane until 1968 so remember these shops very well.
Has anyone on the Forum any news of Mr Bruce the Greengrocer's son, Roger? In the mid-60s he had a record shop almost opposite his dad's fruit and vegetable shop on Bordesley Green and a very successful travelling DJ business. I sometimes helped him out humping his turntables, records, lights, amp, etc. about.
Would love to hear how life has treated him.
Thank you, David

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Mr Law's store corner of Pretoria road and Bordesley Green. I worked there part time on Saturday when I was 14yrs old in 1964-1965 I was useless at it, but Mr Frank Law was so helpful. I remember trying to weigh the bacon slices and was scared stiff cos I had no idea what to do ; At Christmas he would shut the shop early, get the local kids in, my younger sister said she would be handed a raffle ticket then all the kids would run around the shop and find the item that matched he number. Mr Law used to give my dear mom food on tick until the end of the week, that helped her out, dear Mr Law.I remember at Christmas Santa's sleigh along the Bordesley Green Rd, us kids would be so excited to see him, they were on their way to East B'ham Hospital.

Jan_ame my cousin in Canada sent this.. I dont know if you knew him his name was Michael Edwards and he lived in Pretoria Road.

'Dorothy Simkiss and her Mom ran the sweet shop remember when they rationed your sweets'.

hi brummophile was the record shop attatched to the paper shop on the corner of churchill road i can remember walking into the paper shop and when you walked to the counter you looked left and there was a doorway into the next shop that is where he had turntables and you could listen to the song before you bought it !

Heres a couple more.

Attachments

• DRUMMOND RD.jpg
    DRUMMOND RD.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 56
  • BLAKE LANE 11.jpg
    BLAKE LANE 11.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 55
Hi Tonko.

Welcome aboard. You say that you lived opposite Bordesley Green Fire Station. So did my aunt and uncle - George and Emma Boswell. Their daugjhters were Gertrude and Elsie. They lived at 235, Bordesley Green. However it was many years ago and perhaps before your time.. My aunt and uncle passed away ages ago and I have lost track of my cousins but, as they were older than me, I would not be surprised if they had now died.

Old Boy

You'r very welcome Dennis I remember the tram tracks being ripped up but not the trams I lived in Charles Road opposite the Coach and Horses Derekw

You'r very welcome Dennis I remember the tram tracks being ripped up but not the trams I lived in Charles Road opposite the Coach and Horses Derekw

I'm enjoying all this nostalgia...brilliant pics....is the Coach and Horses that terraccota faced pub.

Where would 181 Bordesley Green have been please? Hubbys great grandparents lived there in the early 1900's.
I think they may have run a shop from there.
Sue

I don't know precisley Sue but the other side of Victoria Street ends at 103 so I would guess that 181 is faily close to the pic in the last post.The shop behind the bus stop was called Hales in the early 50s and the next two were called Pauls a ladies and gents wear shop

Back