• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great King Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...just come accross this cracking pic of gt king st showing the peoples baptist church....dated 1956....cant for the life of me remember this church so it may have been demolished when i was quite young...

lyn

Attachments

• HockleyGreatKingSt.jpg
    HockleyGreatKingSt.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lyn:

Here's some info on the People's Baptist Church, Gt. King Street:

Great King Street People's Chapel, with sittings for 250, was opened in 1848 (fn. 31) by 40 members of the Newhall Street church. (fn. 32) The first building was destroyed by fire in 1887 (fn. 33) and replaced by a second and larger chapel with 650 sittings. (fn. 34) The new building was of brick with stone dressings, and was designed by Crouch and Butler of Birmingham. (fn. 35) Attendance at the main Sunday service improved from an average of 175 in 1851 (fn. 36) to 500 in 1892. (fn. 37) In 1956 church membership was 82. (fn. 38) In 1851 members were responsible for a slum mission in Stayney Street (fn. 39) but this appears to have been given up by 1892. During the 1930s the People's Chapel played a leading part in mission work in the 'new areas' and, in particular, Kingstanding and Perry Barr, where new chapels were eventually opened. (fn. 40)

thanks jenny this is most interesting...

mike..if you spot this i wonder could you post one of yer famous maps for me please showing where the church was situated...

many thanks...

lyn

Lyn
It was between no 74 and 75 (between Brideg st west and new john st on the east side of the road), and disappeared from Kellys between 1962 and 1963 (though of course that doesn’t mean it was demolished then). The chapel stands out well on the map, so haven’t marked it
mike

Peoples_chapel_Gt_king_St_c_1913.jpg

Lyn,Type this into your google.
Churches and places of worship in birmingham uk.
Tried to send you the link...but it didn't work.

Ray
They haven't kept very up to date /
I'm pretty sure that the position of the chapel is now on a piece of landscaped ground just to the east of Lucas Circus and between the rerouted gt king St and New john St.
If its still there it must be buried !!
Mike

thanks ray but mike is right....im certain its not there now...will double check next time im round there just in case im having another senior moment...lol

lyn

Hi all
The picture of the peoples chapel is as it was before being bulldozed late '66, early 67. It was my regular until we were bulldozed out in April 1966. I lived in Little King St. It was down the road, 45 degrees left & cross over. The 1st A Boys Brigade were very prominent with a good band. The Chapel was founded by John Skirow Wright (& others) who is buried in Key Hill Cemetery, with the majority of the 40 original founders.
The new chapel was built further up Great King St on the other side of the road. Great King St itself has been disrupted by the new cut through to Icknield St from New John St, which goes under Hockley Hill. The new chapel is the one on the web site. Access is messy, you have turn sharp left at the new island after all the blocks of flats on New John St, bend left & Right to Well St, band you can see the chapel on your right before you get to the Woodman pub.
I have been seeking a good picture of it for some time. there are some pics on the new chapel site.

It was used for choir practise for the Mendelsohns 'Elijah' which was performed for the fist time at the Town hall music festival.

The chapel still has links to Kingstanding baptist church which they helped start.

The chapel was (I believe) named after the American speech - for the eople , by the people, etc.

hi brian so you lived in little king st...thanks for all this information and hope you liked the pic....now you have explained it i know exactly where the new chapel is...

cheers

lyn

HI Lin,

The last but one out of Little King St - Not there now, and most have never heard of it! - You rarely see pics of it even in old B'ham books - Nothing special I suppose about it. In April 66 there was 2 house standing - us at 79 & the Smiths at 77, with half a house each side. You could walk around the block - Gt King St, Bridge St, Guest St and not pass a single building !
If you crossed the road and went around that block, New John St instead of Bridge St, you would not pass a single building !
All we could see was the White House (still there), Farm St School & Lucas's - all now sadly gone.

Simple poor times, but good times..

Brian

yes i agree bri...not much money about but good times none the less...wouldnt swap my childhood for all the tea in china...do you have any pics at all of little king st...if so i would love to see them and i will keep my eyes peeled for any and post them...thinking back i am sure i posted a newpaper cutting showing a bit of little king st...it was ages ago and may take me some time to locate it but i will try...

lyn

Sorry - No pics. I was only 11 when we left. My dad had some, when they were demolishing the area, but I believe he chucked the lot, several years ago when he remarried (after Mum had passed away).
I didn't know until he died himself this time last year, that he no longer had the tins of old photo's. I suppose he wanted to start afresh.
I have a family shot standing in front of the front door (not that we used it, it was always down the entry and in the back ! - It shows half of Olive Walkers front door at 81 ! - not much else though

The only sign of Little King St now is the lump of granite visible from New John St showing where the Original Lucas factory started - Not the big 'un in Great King St which it later developed into (it is incorrectly labelled in Ted Rudges latest book - but we put him right on it !

yes i know the lump of granite you mean brian...not much of a testament is it to what was once a great factory and provided hundreds of jobs and created a hive of activity in the area...ok i shall try me hardest to find any pics of little king st for you...dont give up as they are out there somewhere..

cheers

lyn

1966_setting_out_from_peoples_Chapel.jpg Another pic off the 1stA Boys Brigade site - Setting off for summer camp in 1966. Picture taken from the 'old' Peoples Chapel looking up Gt King St, with the New John St tower blocks visible on the skyline. Most of Gt King St had been demolished by than, but a few shops survive on the corner. I remember Tom the Butcher which was the corner shop. He was still there in April '66 - unsure how much mlonger he lasted - very nice bloke.
Bri

mike could you please repost the map that was on post 3 please if you still have it...

many thanks mike

lyn

bri im reposting this one that you posted as it should enlarge better..

lynVARIOUS PICS 002.jpg

Cheers Lyn - copied them off the flikr of Rob1ABB.
Rob - the 1887 Chapel was the 'proper' chapel of the 1960's - great old building - large, dirty, dark, hard wooden boxes to sit in - proper chapel!
The entry on the left as you looked at it led up a great wooden staircase to the upper floor where the Boys Brigade met, Sunday school was in the lower room.
Many happy memories - new place is nice - but modern!
The old old chapel was used for some of the choir practises for when Mendleson first performed 'Elijah' - written specially for performance at the Birmingham Music festival in the Town Hall.

Quite a few of the Chapel founders are buroed in Key Hill cemetery - Birmingham's first Public cemetery - Non Denominational - For the People - By the People!
Bri

Rob - the 1887 Chapel was the 'proper' chapel of the 1960's - great old building - large, dirty, dark, hard wooden boxes to sit in - proper chapel!
The entry on the left as you looked at it led up a great wooden staircase to the upper floor where the Boys Brigade met, Sunday school was in the lower room.
Many happy memories - new place is nice - but modern!
Hi Brian,
Yes it was a shame the old People's Chapel had to be demolished in the name of redevelopment, just to make the green space around the Lucas factory that is no more.
We were one of the last couples to be married at People's Chapel.
There were 3 floors of school rooms - bottom floor BB Bible Class on Sunday mornings and primary Sunday School on the afternoon; first floor Junior Sunday School; and top floor BB Club, Youth Club, and Old Boys. (Pictures of the school rooms are on the web site link on my previous post #24)
The new chapel continues to be run by a lay, voluntary leadership and so while the vision and ministry changes the ideas of the original founders from 1848 still influence - So the name has meaning.
The People's Chapel has always been a Baptist Church although sevices have always been led by folk from many denominations.

hi robb as you say such a shame the old chapel went...i take it you have seen the pics of it that are on the forum...think there are two of them...

lyn

Quite a few of the Chapel founders are buroed in Key Hill cemetery - Birmingham's first Public cemetery - Non Denominational - For the People - By the People!
Bri
Brian. A few years ago we went to Key Hill cemetery with the Boys' brigade lads and a list of the Founders to see how many we could find. Found John Skirrow Wright and. I think, one other but if you know the locations of some of the others it would be great to repeat the exercise next spring/summer with the present members, especially as it is the 1st A BB centenary year. (You probably saw the list of the 40 founders - https://www.peopleschapel.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/History/ThePeople.html ) I also have the names of some of the other early members who may be in Key Hill. Rob

Back