• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

Hi regan,i have replied to your recent post re Havergale house in the brearley street newtown thread.moss

hello pam
i am sure the shop was a cross the road from the geach pub' when we were kids in geach st we used to go in the shop for parts for a bike we were trying to put together.. happy days

one of my favourites..our nans watering hole the geach arms with a good shot looking up summer lane..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
gary i think it was on the corner of moorsom st...ive got a collection of all the pubs on the lane but i cant find them at the min..they could be saved on the hard drive..i did post them all ages back but when the forum was hacked last year we lost all of our images...will do my best to find them and repost them all again..any how here is a map showing where the pubs were..the only one i dont have a pic of is the red lion that was on the corner of bridge st west and the lane...demolished in the 1920s to make way for the police station..
lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Regan
If it was was Grandmothers and uncles shop that you bought your cycles spares from the shop was mostly fruit and veg and a small space on the right for the cycle spares,I can't remember what was on the otherside of the road,I remember the chemist shop was on the corner of Cowper Street the next door was either the ice cream/sweet shop or the butchers that shop is pictured on post #381, granny was a bit further down at 179.
Pam

I spoke to a lady last week who lived on the corner of Cowper Street and Newtown Row. She told me about the bombings during the war and the devastation especially the school. She said her father would never go down the shelter. It must have been awful. She said how lucky they were as their house was never hit. The family name was Pursehouse.

Hi Regan
If it was was Grandmothers and uncles shop that you bought your cycles spares from the shop was mostly fruit and veg and a small space on the right for the cycle spares,I can't remember what was on the otherside of the road,I remember the chemist shop was on the corner of Cowper Street the next door was either the ice cream/sweet shop or the butchers that shop is pictured on post #381, granny was a bit further down at 179.
Pam

pam and wendy its lovely to see this thread come alive again just wished there were more pics of summer lane around...pam i have a rellie living at number 14 in 1954 in my notes ive got that its a chemist shop...just wondering if its the one on the corner of cowper st that you mentioned...

mike when you have time could you highlight no 14 on a map for me please..many thanks mike

lyn

how lovely to see a photo of the geach pub, my dad used to use the pub with my uncle sid [floyd ] who lived in geach street,

I must ask mom if she remembers the pub, her best friend lived on Theobald (?) Street and in Asylum Road I think, she has some great stories, really must jot them down to post on here!!
Sue

hello members
any one remember the youth club in brearley st . it was called havegal house .in the earley sixties.

I think it was actually in Hatchett Street, off Summer Lane. It was more than a youth club, it was a Methodist Church. I think there was an original church next door which was bombed in the war. Havergal House was set up in 1888 by the Methodist church in Birmingham as a girls club. It was named after Frances Ridley Havergal who wrote many well known hymns in the nineteenth century.
I knew Havergal House as I was sent there to Sunday school and church as a teenager. My sister and her husband were members there for many years. He preached there regularly after he became a Methodist minister.
About ten years ago I was in Birmingham and took a photo of the building, which I think is probably still there. At the time I think it was a scout centre. Sadly, I have mislaid the photo which will be in my loft somewhere. There is a link to a photo below, however.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/silvis-rivers/6970526341/in/photostream/

Hi Astoness Did you mean your rellie lived in Cowper Street or Summer Lane
I don't know if the chemist shop's address was Cowper Street or Summer lane, I think the doorway was on the corner,
If it came in Summer Lane its number would be a 160 something, I remember it had two big coloured glass bottles in the window.

Pam

hi pamela all i have from the e rolls is she lived at no 14 summer lane and i think it was mikejee who found out for me that it was a chemists shop...she wouldnt have owned the shop but rented out a room maybe...i will do some more checking and get back on this one..

lyn

Lyn
14 summer Lane is shown in red below,

map_c_1913__summer_lane_showing_no_14.jpg

Morning Lyn,It may have been one of these shops as i remember there being a chemist there as late as the 1960s.moss

Attachments

• Summer Lane .Hockley.by Snow Hill.jpg
    Summer Lane .Hockley.by Snow Hill.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 96
morning moss yes ive studied that pic..would love to prove one of those shops was a chemists in 1954 but ive got a feeling looking at mikes map that it was a tad further up...will see if kellys can help as it looks like the numbering went up in ones with odds and evens on the same side

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,I think the chemist was where the newsagent is on the picture.I think at the time the picture was taken, the whole of the block where the Salutation stood and up to Clive Passage had been demolished.
If you look at the map Mike posted your chemist is 2 doors left of the entry,as is the shop in the picture.Off the top of my head i think the chemist was called Bishop in the 60s.moss

moss and mike thank you...this is great news for me as i now have a pic of where a rellie of mine lived on the lane..like i said earlier she would not have owned the chemist but rented a room there... but what is even better is i used to use that paper shop up to 1998 when i lived in newtown and walked that way into the city centre...think they were demolished around 2005/6..brilliant

lyn

Back