• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

Sorry Michael, I have no suggestions. As I understand it you are looking for a factoryon the opposite side of the road to the norton factory but nearer #aston road. there does not seem to be any listed in the 1950 of 1956b kellysd

Many thanks for trying Mike. It was a long time ago. It may have been a bit further on in Dartmouth Street

hi mike..when dave logs on he maybe able to offer up some ideas as he knows round that way pretty well..i can only recall visiting and staying overnight at my cousins at no 71...must have walked past the norton factory hundreds of times...

lyn

Lyn the pics are great, are the markers with numbers on A34, A45, referring to the road numbers so would they be the Stratford and Coventry road signs? Or are they nothing to do with that, I'm not familiar with the area, so not sure if the roads are withinn the area, if that makes sense lol -post 10 2nd pic and post 13
Sue

Last edited:
Lyn the pics are great, are the markers with numbers on A34, A45, referring to the road numbers so would they be the Stratford and Coventry road signs? Or are they nothing to do with that, I'm not familiar with the area, so not sure if the roads are withinn the area, if that makes sense lol -post 10 2nd pic and post 13
Sue

now you are asking a non driver sue lol so i cant help with that one..bet someone will soon put us right on those road signs..

Sistersue, as a road haulage driver throughout the UK from the 1970s to 1990s can i get as near as possible with an explanation?

In modern times, the A34 'A' road ran from Southampton, via Stratford and Brimingham to Cannock, Stafford and ultimately Manchester. The A45 ran from Cambridge via Coventry to Birminghamand stops there (I think).

Therefore Lynn's pictures show the old Aston bit from the City Centre to Cannock and Manchester (A34) and City Centre to Coventry etc (A45).

However, if the sign has a black and white striped border then you are not actually on the road itself, but its nearest equivalent. The stripes will stop when you get on the real A road.

I'm a bit confused with the A45 sign in Aston rather than in Yardley, which the Coventry Road comprises. Maybe the bus drivers on here can get it just that bit more exact for you.

Richie.

Thanks Richie,I didn't know about the borders on the signs before, but have to confess, the Stratford Road I could see, but like you say the Cov is way away from the area - like you say unless the bussies or someone else knows better, dad thought the Cov finished at Digbeth.
There you go Lyn, more info.
Sue

I worked out of Henrietta St Ambulance Stn, and quite often drove around this area. Having a Norton motorcycle and being interested in local history I found the photos fascinating .... but terribly sad. They show just what was lost. Communities that had grown together over decades were torn apart and demolished in the name of progress, but, sadly, this was really corporate greed, for what came after was terrible and is being torn down today in an acknowledgement of the truth of what many protested about at the time.

have to agree with you pete..i have now lost count of how many times i have said that of course some of the housing conditions were vey poor and a lot of properties were just unfit for human habitation and beyond repair but there were also many thousands of houses that could well have been saved from demolision and also so many buildings of historical interest..one thing we have certainly lost is that sense of community spirit...back in the day we knew almost everyone who lived in our street or road but now we are pushed to know who our neigbours are...gone are the days when folk would gather in the local pubs for a game of darts or dominos and chatter about putting the world to rights and help each other out if they have a problem..this is whats missing now and i find it very sad... and i think this is why our forum meet ups are so popular..a time when us good old brummies can gather together under one roof for the afternoon and have a good old natter and a few beers..a good way also of forming friendships as has happened with many of us..look forward to meeting you at the christmas meet pete...:encouragement:

lyn

Last edited:
pic 3 on post 11 jumped out at me yesterday and ive now had time to study it...the third house from the right of the gully is my aunts house at number 71...no doubt about it as thanks to mikes map on post 6 and showing no 71 shaded in red just down from the norton factory you can cleary see the gully to the left of no 71..made my day has this..ive emailed the pic to my cousin jenny...i had many a sleep over there...jenny had the front bedroom and i remember one day uncle sid was up the ladder cleaning the front bedroom window when the ladder slipped and his hand went through the window.. severed the artery in his wrist....narrow longish kitchen that led from the back room..narrow back yard..back and front living rooms and in the front room uncle had a piano and to this day i can remember him teaching me to play a few tunes on it.....happy days..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
who were your family at No 71? Did you know the Hosgood family? I am sure that their house was the one just before that big entry to the right of the factory.

Hi Lyn
who were your family at No 71? Did you know the Hosgood family? I am sure that their house was the one just before that big entry to the right of the factory.

sorry i did now know anyone in the street apart from my aunt and uncle and cousin jennifer...they were elsie and sid broughton...somewhere in the back of my mind i seem to remember a little sweet shop just a few doors up from 71

lyn

Hi - without going off subject I hope, We used to pick up an elderly Jamaican gentleman from a Tower block in Nechells. He'd come to the UK in the 50's and was housed in a house in this area (Aston Cross, etc.,). He was rehoused in the Tower block some 10 years later. He said many of his neighbours also moved in there. At first it was great. Better conditions, etc., but by the 1990s he was isolated. "You hear the lift going up & down, sometime you hear voices, but I don't know who they are. Not like the old days when you saw people walk past your window." Point proved?

Lynn after looking at post No 6 and counting down from your number 71, it looks correct that 79 where my Uncle and Aunt lived was on the corner as I can remember this because you actually went through a gate into their back yard. I can remember many years ago that my dad went and done some decorating for them, he actually fell off the chair and broke his leg, and the hospital said he couldnt have had a worse break if he had fell from an aeroplane. At the same time, one of my brothers was with him as he had broken his foot playing football, so when we went back to the house on the night time, you can imagine my mother's face when she saw the both of them in plaster. How did we manage, I cant remember, but we obviously did.

hi carolina well you are lucky as well then as we can also clearly see no 79 on the pic i posted..like 71 its corrogated up at the window...

crikey i bet you mom had a fit when she saw the state of your dad and brother lol...

hello, just came across this site and thread, was looking for any old pics a bracebridge street, lived there from 1952 too 1965. and trying to find pics of the nortron factory aswell.

hi gnc and welcome to the forum...what number did you live at....glad you found the pics ive posted which includes one of the norton factory...

lyn

Back