• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

post 201 bernie..stunning pic..

bernie ..gt western terrace is a new on for me...

lyn

Thanks Mike , I don't know much about the area Lyn will have a look but thats what the caption said , I've been looking for Small Heath pics Carolina but they seem to be in short supply

Unfortunately, it doesnt give a street address for Small Heath. Is it only courtyards you are lookin for in Small Heath?

It;s really funny looking at these photo's Carolina, I had mates who lived in diverse places Like Ladywood, Balsall Heath, and Winson Green, and all the places looked identical to, #214/217.
paul

Paul, it seems that lots of them had industries around them as well. I lived opposite a mudguard factory and a brass foundry, but never thought anything about it. There was a place in Ford Street we called 'The Opening' but I havent got any photos of it, I wish I had 'cause thats where we seemed to congregate.

It would be nice to find a few in Small Heath Carolina . there seem to be plenty around for most other places

Brilliant carolina, the Small Heath one in Post 214 - I think that is the tower of the Wimbush Factory peeking above the rooftops right of picture perhaps?

And these photos are superb. My favourite has got to be berniew's night-time special of Icknield Square ...the names in the window....R.White's Cadbury's, Corona, Ty-Phoo, Brooke Bond...my childhood in one lovely classic shot...thanks so much Bernie...I'm posting again, just for sheer nostalgia...is it a personal one or from a book?

Icknield Square  Evening shot 1960.jpg

Thats my favorite too Dennis it isn.t personal I just nicked it from a site somewhere because I liked it , thanks for the pics Carolina I do have quite a few pics of Small Heath but hardly any of yards o rback to backs they seem to be very rare

Pic taken at back 0f 54 Arthur Street

berniew, I've just spotted this photo and I got all excited !!! (it's ok, I've calmed down now ) I referred back to my records thinking this could very well have been the place where my Great Grandad lived in 1881, but on checking the census he was at 4 bk of 48 and there were a lot of back houses listed between his house and number 54, so on the down side it may not have been that actual place ...but on the up side I'm thinking that at least it gives me a good idea as to what his home and surroundings would have been like as I imagine they would have all been very similar.
I just cant work out on Old Maps where 48 would have been though..if I type in 54 on googlemaps it places it on the corner of where Bolton Road crosses Arthur Street, same side of the street as the Bus Depot....confused.com !!

lindy go to the maps and mapping section and post a request to mike..im sure he would be happy to post you a map highlighting the house numbers you want..

lyn

Good advice Lyn sorry Lindyloo I don't have a map with house numbers on only one with houses from 1890.Arthur Street has been largley rebuilt and so probably renumbered as I'm sure you know

Re 181 Dymoke St any idea what year it was, loving this thread.

Good advice Lyn sorry Lindyloo I don't have a map with house numbers on only one with houses from 1890.Arthur Street has been largley rebuilt and so probably renumbered as I'm sure you know

Not to worry berniew, I have done as lyn suggested and posted in the Maps section, but thank you anyway.

DSCF0015   humpage road 1935 coronation.jpg
Not a yard but small cul de sac off Bordesley Green Humpage Road my dads bookies was here when bookies were illegal just across from the police station dated 1935

It;s really funny looking at these photo's Carolina, I had mates who lived in diverse places Like Ladywood, Balsall Heath, and Winson Green, and all the places looked identical to, #214/217.
paul

I agree Paul, #217 has the same central entry as my Gran's did. She lived at 2/19 Norman St, Winson Green.

My wife Cathy lived at 16 back of 8 Cooksey road[
My wife lived in Cooksey Road almost next to Dixon Road school till, about 1960 , they lived in york place bolton road for a few months before the landlord sold the hous e and they were evicted. The mother in law and the kids ended up in a hostel for a couple of months and the father in law had to live with his mom , they then got the Cooksey Road house, tennants had no rights at all back then and housin,g was in very short supply

I would concour with post 214. The distinctive building in the background is familiar and it may be the Wimbush building but my first instinct was that it might be the Grange Cinema on the other side of the Cov, but don't hold me to that. The lampost looks fairly modern as compared with old style gas lamps and the boarded up building suggests that this might have been in the twilight of its existence - c1960

Lyn
Great Western terrace was on the west side of Icknield st just above the junction with Warstone lane

map_c_1889_Great_Western_terrace.jpg

Back