• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Some photos of Eden Place, Guildford Street. George VI coronation May 1937
my sisters and brother

edenplace_3.jpg
A group photo

edenplace_4.jpg

Re post 80 its William Edward St, they were the last family to live there,great photo's

Bordesley Street Birmingham__PNG 2_ possibly milk street.jpg
Another Bordesley Street with bigger blooomers the rear of my nans house on the right side of the entry facing Milk Street flats

hi bernie smashing pics..post 96 is another new pic to me and is very interesting as angelsey st is still there and you would be surprised just how many of those little terraces are still about...im due a trip down the old end very soon so i will investigate..

lyn

wonderful pics of eden place mike...a stones throw from paddington st where nan and grandad lived so very good chance they knew your family...often wonder if a street party was held but found no pics as yet...

lyn

I wonder if anyone has got any old photos of Communication Row Ladywood. My late sister started her married life there in an old back to back. It really was a happy house. I loved visiting her as a kid.

https://binged.it/R2f7CA

there were three terraces in Lawrence Street A,B, and C terrace. this is one of them. they wer'nt back to back houses, each one had a front and back door. I read somewhere that these homes were the first council houses in Brum and were first occupied by police families from Duke Street.
Thanks for the location sorry I can,t add to it no mre info on pic legend
Bernie

Communication Row, as requested!
My ancestors lived there 1841-1851.

Attachments

• Communication Row.jpg
    Communication Row.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 168
Has anyone ever seen a photo of Chequers Walk? One of my relatives were there around 1880, but I have never seen a photo. I think it was only a tiny place.

All my families seem to have lived in the courtyards and yards of Birmingham in the 19thc so it has been fascinating to see these old photos they give you an idea of how hard their lives were. So thank you for posting them.
Sheri

It is in Cheapside according to the chalk marking under the first window. I can't make out the numbers if indeed it does give the numbers.

Terry

Back