• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyburn Road Bus Works

This is a super photo taken within minutes of the boarding taken off.

coa.jpg

Glad to see my bit of the works is still standing.....picture (5), that part of the works was just mine, when we moved out to be relocated at Walsall, I wrote my name on te ceiling......, it is sad to see her go, but the saddest part is how many people have lost their jobs, not just here but all around the Midlands area, and throughout the country, proper jobs....not working at Macdonalds or Tesco's etc, but production jobs......many reasons why we have, but one of the biggest was lack of investment, I worked at Drews Lane (British Leyland) for 5 years on the front axles, this was between 1976 and 1981, I was working on the track along with tools that were being used 30 years earlier.....,

We did look for your name aston lad, even got the site manager looking but all the ceiling as peeled with with the damp, sorry.

I see today that there were digging up a section of the concrete floor of the works there did seem to be a lot of interest in the earth/soil in that had been under the concrete floor

ref post 188.......picture one......that looks like my department.....I haven't seen it since the day we moved out 1990/91, the works continued to use that whole area until they closed down a couple of years later ......shame that the paint flaked away, it would have been a thrill to see my bit of vandalism again..

I see today that there were digging up a section of the concrete floor of the works there did seem to be a lot of interest in the earth/soil in that had been under the concrete floor

wonder if they think the soil is contaminated...this happened when they demolished the crocodile works down newtown and they had to wash thousands of tons of it before building on the site..

lyn

ref post 188.......picture one......that looks like my department.....I haven't seen it since the day we moved out 1990/91, the works continued to use that whole area until they closed down a couple of years later ......shame that the paint flaked away, it would have been a thrill to see my bit of vandalism again..

Was it just Your name?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Two things if you look at a modern Coat of Arms you will see that the female and the male have swapped sides on the modern Coat of Arms the female is now on the left and the male is on the right, and for some bizarre reason the male appears to have a bog (toilet) roll in the crook of one of his arms why? and if it is not a bog roll what is it?

I have done a small amount of research on the place and the first time I can find a reference is in the 1931 directory there is no mention of it in the 1928 directory, in the back of the 1931 directory there is a list of the omnibus routes in the city there are not many I hope to scan it and post the list eventually,
it does appear that there may have been nothing (as yet not proved ) on the site before the works was built more research is needed,

This is a super photo taken within minutes of the boarding taken off.

coa.jpg

Great thread with lots of info and photo's well done frothy! The coat of arms look amazing!

ref post 195.......No.......but what I can tell you , that Kenny was someone who worked in the works and had mental problems.....he was a nice bloke, but sometimes he would just go berserk, not in a nasty physical way, but arguing with himself......sorry to say that (madness) ran in his family , both mother and brother suffered with it, he was okay in his earlier life, got married and had children, but around the forty mark he got worst and worst, his wife left him etc, poor soul died not to long after that......Working in the stores sometimes we felt like we were going mad ourselves hence the sign.....

2 photos sent to me from the site manager Gary

The Stores, the only building left standing behind the main wall. Waiting for Health and Safety report on how best to bring it down.

The back wall has gone the view from the Manager's office

This is from a Kellys 1931 directory showing the bus routes for 1931 so that when the works opened these were the bus routes in Brum at the time

From a 1931 Kelly,s Birmingham Directory .jpg

Back