• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

king family 64 Ladypool Road 1930s

csmith604

master brummie
Help me please if you can, Suzanne was kind enough to trace Francis and Florence May King to 64 Ladypool Road, as I am trying to find the household at that time around 1930-1945. My father lived there, had two brothers. One lost at sea, but I have no christian names to go on and really want to find out about him. I assumed that Francis and Florence May would be my grandparents - but find no marriage certificate. Florence May King died in 1945 age 52 therefore born in 1893, but I have matched her birth for that year and same surname but she should have had a different surname name. a picture I have of my father as a young boy with his mother and brother gives me the impression she should have been a lot older. Dad was born in 1921, so Florence would have been 28 years older. Any help to put the pieces together would be so appreciative as I have got a little further, but I am quite confused...... I will be grateful to any help anyone can give.

Thanks,

Chris

When my dad went to enlist WW2, he asked his dad for his papers. His dad would not give them to him and said he would go with him. His dad showed the papers and talked to the person, looking at dad and nodding etc. Dad asked what was going on and eventually found out that he had been adopted, born at Dudley Road Hospital and his mother's name was Mary Mead. He enlisted as Stanley Patrick King, his army papers said Stanley Philip King, the name he stayed with all his life. He never had a clue he was adopted up until then. His brother said that he did not care dad was adopted they would always be brothers, he was lost at sea ww2. Dad was born Stanley Mead, always called Stanley King, not knowing he was really a Mead, I found out earlier this year, I felt hurt myself. I saw a likeness on photos of my dad with his dad and with his brother, who I still class as an uncle. Any help with the King or Mead Will be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris

This is probably nothing to do with the thread and only coincidence, but there was a family called King that lived in Larches Street until it was demolished in the mid 70's. Larches Street would have been more or less opposite 64 Ladypool Rd give or take a hundred yards. I can't remember the number of the house but it would have been around 121 / 122.

Thanks very much any help is useful. It will all go down in my notes, as you never know!

Thanks a lot

Chris

Hi Chris

Have found a birth in June quarter 1921 for Stanley Mead Birmingham 6d 505

bewdley

In England and Wales adoption first became legal in 1926, while in Northern Ireland it was 1929 and in Scotland it was 1930.

Before the introduction of legislation adoptions were arranged informally by organisations, or directly between the birth mother and adopting parents, and in some cases agreements may have been drawn up by lawyers.

Permanent placements may also have been made by Guardians of the Poor or Public Assistance bodies and county record offices are now the main holders of this information.

My mum recently revealed that this happened in her family when her elder sister Lil took her husband’s sister’s daughter as her own when she was born illegitimately. Fortunately, or not, she had the same Christian name as the baby’s mother so the mother’s name on the birth certificate is noted correctly, but she is definitely not the correct mother!

Chris

All the following years at 61 Ladypool Road (opposite your Mom and Dad's families at 62 & 64 Ladypool Road)

1912 - Tamar (mother of this Mead Family & Frederick, (Frederick William is his full name), her son) Mead (Tamar's (nee Gell b1843 Bedfordshire husband was Samuel Mead born 1842 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire ) I have traced this mead family back to 61 Ladypool Road from about 1891 and they were at 50 Ladypool Rd in 1881) but no Mary Mead that I can see at present. Evenso, I thought it might prove useful in your future research for Mary Mead and the Kings because of your Dad's mother's maiden name and also the close proximity of the families.

1922 - Tamar & Daniel (her son who is actually Henry Daniel) Mead
1925 - Tamar, Adele Fanny (daughter), Daniel Henry Mead - also a Richard Bishop
1930 - Evelyn Maria (daughter), Henry Daniel, Adele Fanny Mead - also Harry & Louisa Radnor
1935 - Adele Fanny, Henry Daniel, Evelyn Maria Mead
1939 - Adele Fanny, Henry Daniel, Evelyn Maria Mead
1945 - Evelyn M, Adele F, Henry D Mead
1950 - Evelyn M, Adele F Mead
1955 - Adele F Mead
1960 - Adele F Mead

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne, I am grateful for any information to help find my dad's past of any kind. My mom said that when his brother died it changed him (not for the better). Older I now understand the emptyness he must have felt with finding out is past because, of enlisting, and his brother dying during the war also, so it must have beenquite close really, besides the trauma of going to war.

Thankyou very much for your time and help I really do appreciate it!!!

Very best wishes

chris

Thanks for the info, I have written it down (word for word I hope you don't mind) as it helps to see the difficult times they faced.

I have found this very useful, thanks again

Chris

Of course I don't mind, it was put on here for you. Do you have your Dad's birth certificate? If not, it would be useful to send for it as it would give his mom's occupation perhaps and an address.

Suzanne

Dad had said to me he was born at Dudley Road Hospital 10.05.1921. When I did some research it seemed to imply that being born there was a polite term for the Workhouse,and some lived there and gave this as their address so I did not persue it. knowing this now, do you think it might have any other information on? and if so do you go to the registry office in town order it special?
Sorry I'm so thick, but I'm a bit of a novice, Thanks for your help,

Chris

Hi Chris

Just because you are a novice doesn't imply you are thick. We all have to learn some time, one thing or another. I do think it would be worthwhile to get your dad's certificate because it will give the informant's name and address and if this was his mother perhaps another address? This is the reference you will need that Bewdley supplied on an earlier post : June quarter 1921 for Stanley Mead Birmingham 6d 505
Here's the details from Bham Council's site. Good luck and let us know how you get on and if you do get an address for his mother let me know and I can try and look at the electoral rolls for you:)

Certificates from Birmingham

There are three ways you can apply to us -1. Apply using our secureOnline Certificate Application Form
2. Apply in person at our Birmingham Office - call in between 9.00 am and 3.00 pm Monday to Friday. You will be asked to fill in an application form with the information detailed below, you can pay with cash or a credit / debit card.
Certificates will be issued within 5 working days by post or 3 working days for collection at the office.

New priority same day service for customers calling in at
Birmingham Register Office

For an additional £5, your certificate will be issued on the same day you apply.
To use the Priority Service visit our Holliday Street Office between 9.00 am and 3.00 pm.
The £5 priority fee is non refundable if we can not find the correct entry for your certificate.

3. Apply by post - you can use an application form (found at the end of this page) or include the required information in a letter. If paying by cheque or postal order please make it payable to Superintendent Registrar and include a stamped addressed envelope.
If paying by credit or debit card please include:

• The card number
  • Issue and expiry dates
  • Issue number if given
  • Cardholders full name and address
  • The last three numbers from the back of the card
  • Authorisation for us to charge the card for the cost of the certificate and postage.
Please note we can not accept American Express, Diners Club or Electron cards.
If you are applying for more than one certificate you only need to fill in your card details once, authorising us to take payment for all the requested certificates and postage.

Suzanne

Thanks very much for your info, I will go and get one (unless one of my children come and do it for me) I never buy anything on the computer myself, as I don't know enough to feel safe to do it on line. I always tell them what I want, and give them the money and they order it for me. I can't even fathom out how to look at some of the photo's on the attachments on the forum, I keep clicking on them and nothing happens, I just have to read others comments. I am so pleased when the photos are just on there I love them enough of my ramblings, I thank you very much for your help. I can't empress my gratitude enough, I thought I hitting a brick wall, but now I am gaining ground, many thanks,

Chris
Thanks

Hi csmith604

That address did not always mean the workhouse. I myself was born in Dudley rd Hospital, quite a few years later. Although in the same grounds.
From 1904, to protect them from disadvantage in later life, the birth certificates for those born in the workhouse gave its address just as 1 Western Road
Don't put yourself, we all have to learn and you are in the right place for help. We have some very good members who are always willing to help.

regards Stars

Hi suzanne, just to let you know my son called in this morning and ordered a certificate for me on line, I'm hoping when he gets it we'll have further news,

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, I wasnt expecting the answer you gave when I asked your Dads name, but it seems to have opened up new possibilities for your research and hopefully the certificate you have ordered will give you more information.
It is just a pity though that your original question about the 2 brothers names hasnt been answered as yet.. I've done a lot of looking at various things but have come up with nothing I am sorry to say.
The only thing I did find was in the Kelly's for 1940 which has at 61 Ladypool Road...Mead, Miss E, which as far as I remember fits with the info Suzanne found.
Do you have any other info about the brother who was lost at sea such as his death date ??

Re Mary Mead, in the 1911 census there is a Mary Mead, 26, single, born Birmingham, daughter of George and Eliza Mead. George was a Bootmaker, born in Germanny (thats how it was spelt) It says he was a British Subject by Parent.....(cant see the last few letters)
They were living at 40 Tillingham Street which was off the Ladypool Road !! Could be a connection..

Thanks very much, it will be great if there is an address on the birth certificete! As to dad's brother lost at sea I have two photos of him, one in a black sailors suit with no insignia, the second he is in a white mediteranian uniform and on his sleeve he has crossed anchors for a Petty Officer, and a stripe which indicates 1st class?( if my research is correct) so I am assuming it has to be well into the war to earn his promotion. Dad never knew what ship he was on (not allowed to talk about it), dad was in the Royal Engineers 8th army, so I should imagine communication was very difficult. The only thing he was told was that all hands were lost at sea, unfortunately there were many. I have made a list of Petty Officers lost at sea named King and sadly my list runs into pages, and I have only managed to eliminate a few. If this is any help, I don't know. If you have any suggestions I would be grateful. Thank you for your help and time, best wishes
Chris

I've had a look at the Kelly's Directories that I have available to me and I can't find George and Eliza or Mary at that address after 1911 unfortunately. Perhaps someone could look them up in the Electoral Rolls for you.

At 61 Ladypool Road in 1913 was Mead and Deakin motor car builders.

I'm afraid I wouldnt have an idea of where to start with looking for your Uncle although I did look at a list last night which led to me asking if you had a date..again maybe someone on the forum may be able to help. The only thing I could think of was contacting the Navy or the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ..sorry I cant be of more help

Thanks very much for the update. I have made a note of it and hope eventually to piece things together. I am still hoping to find his christian name first, as I only think he was younger than dad but not 100%, so all I know is King 64 Ladypool Road, if I knew his name I might already have the details of ship etc, as I have written every PO King down by hand, and I am trying to eliminate, but only by luck rather than skill, that's why I was trying to find his name. But I don't understand the parent side of things. I cannot find Francis and Florence May's marriage as I assumed they were the parents. She was born Florence May King, so how can she be Mrs. King? What a mystery!!! If all fails, I might try the Navy, but I must admit it does sound odd not knowing his name, but dad never much talked about it or the war they kept things "in" if you know what I mean, but thanks very much for your help it is greatly received, best wishes, Chris

The Mead family lived at 61 Ladypool Road until at least 1960.
Tamar Mead,Frederick Mead
Tamar Mead,Daniel Mead
Tamar Mead,Daniel Henry Mead,Adele Fanny Mead
1930-1945
Henry Daniel Mead,Adele Fanny Mead,Evelyn Maria Mead
1947-1950
Adele F Mead,Evelyn M Mead
Adele F Mead
Tamar was a widow in 1911,with sons Percy 34,Frederick 30,Henry D 28 and daughters Evelyn 40,Adele 38, and Winifred 26.
All were single.
There were 2 other married daughters ,Charlotte 1874 and Alice 1878.
There was a Mary Mead (married) living at 3 Ruckley Terrace, Sydenham Road,in 1920,which was not far from Ladypool Road.

You're welcome Chris...
I really do wish you luck with your search...perhaps if you posted the photographs on here someone might be able to confirm that you have his rank right..just a thought..
I have looked at marriages too and have not come up with anything for it either..the closest I got was one in Thornbury in 1914, a Francis H King to a Florence M A Hicks but then I noticed you had said she was born King...is that from her birth cert ??
Just as a point to bear in mind, my cousin was born a Lambert and married an unrelated Lambert and so remained Lambert, so it does happen and also sometimes 2nd cousins (and even 1st cousins I believe) married so anything is possible..

ladylinda, would you be able to check the Electorals for George and Eliza Mead please, they were in Tillingham Street in 1911 with a daughter Mary, but I couldnt find them in the kellys I have after that.

Hi, according to the Electoral Roll the surname was Meades.I think they moved to Aston (Vicarage Rd) after 1912.

Ahh ok ladylinda, thanks for looking.. I got the spelling off the 1911, it just seemed really coincidental that there were the 2 Mead families living close to each other and close to the Kings, I thought that was maybe how Mary Mead knew the Kings..just guessing though really..

Electoral roll entries for 64 Ladypool Road

1925 Francis and Florence May King
1927 Francis and Florence May King
1930/31/35/36 Francis, Florence May King and George Edmund Hardy
1939/40 Francis, Florence May and Thomas Savory
1945/46 Francis King and Thomas Savory

(1947/50 Thomas Savory is at 14 Hickman Road Sparkbrook, nothing after this, but there is a death in June quarter 1950 Birmingham 9c 385 for Thomas Savory aged 62 so born 1888ish.

There is a George E Hardy at 128 Sarehole Road, Moseley in 1945-60, but no way of knowing whether he is George Edmund Hardy or if there is any connection to your Francis and Florence May King).

bewdley

Just found a birth for George E Hardy-King Coventry March quarter 1917 6d 1209 mmn Barker

Last edited:
Back