• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Old Boys FC.

maypolebaz

master brummie
I have a picture of Handsworth Old Boys Football Club, taken in the early Thirties, (I think).
I recently found out that the team was -
C.SHAW, J.JENKINS, W.BUFFERY, A.HYDE, A.CHADWICK, A.SCAMP, A.HARVEY, H.HUMPHRIES, B.SIMMONS, W.TIPPER, E.GILL and W.WILKES.
I am not in a position to post the photo on here but will be happy to email it to anyone who has an interest.

Hi maypolebaz! Handsworth Grammar School in Grove Lane would be happy to have a copy of the Old Boys Football team. They have an archive of old photographs. I sent them one of my own some time ago so I know that they would welcome a copy. Good luck! willey

Hi maypolebaz! Handsworth Grammar School in Grove Lane would be happy to have a copy of the Old Boys Football team. They have an archive of old photographs. I sent them one of my own some time ago so I know that they would welcome a copy. Good luck! willey

Thanks for that, I'll look into it.
I'm pretty sure my dad didn't go to Grammar School though !

Thanks for that, I'll look into it.
I'm pretty sure my dad didn't go to Grammar School though !
Maypolebaz It is HGSOBFC 125th Anniversary this year and we are holding a special Dinner at Villa Park.Could you please E Mail me a copy of the photo in question to - see below. Edit to remove personal email address I am a Past President of the Society.

Please message Roy using the "Inbox" tab above - then "Start a conversation" Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a picture of Handsworth Old Boys Football Club, taken in the early Thirties, (I think).
I recently found out that the team was -
C.SHAW, J.JENKINS, W.BUFFERY, A.HYDE, A.CHADWICK, A.SCAMP, A.HARVEY, H.HUMPHRIES, B.SIMMONS, W.TIPPER, E.GILL and W.WILKES.
I am not in a position to post the photo on here but will be happy to email it to anyone who has an interest.

My dad went to Handsworth Grammar School in the 1930's and I would very much like any photos you may have

Edit to remove email address.

Please message Kate using the "Inbox" tab above - then "Start a conversation" Thanks.

ROY GUTTERIDGE & Kate 777 OK, I'll get on it.
As a matter of interest, "A. Scamp", on the team list went on to become Sir "Jack" Scamp.

Hi Kate and Roy. I've removed your email addresses as it may attract unwanted messages. I've suggested you make contact via " Inbox" near the top of the page. Viv.

Hi Kate and Roy. I've removed your email addresses as it may attract unwanted messages. I've suggested you make contact via " Inbox" near the top of the page. Viv.

Nothing in the Inbox yet Vivienne. The photo is ready to send as soon as Kate & Roy get in touch.

Hi, as a newby I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I have asked this question before, and had no response, so......Does anyone in the Handsworth area recall a Football Club, called "HANDSWORTH WEDNESDAY"? My father played for them pre-WW2. I am just wondering who would have the records of the club, or if they were absorbed into another club? My Dad had trials for WBA from his time at HWfc. Thanks. Gerry

I’ve been looking for references Gerry but unfortunately can’t find anything.

I came across a couple of items on eBay below. The detailed information in the second image belongs to the first photo. Quite possibly this is the image referred to in the first post on this thread. Viv.

1930s
6A65A69C-A960-4A40-B035-512235A465FE.jpeg
EAE57CB1-AD2A-497B-9EBE-2E9C4E0C3FBD.jpeg

1945/6
53C985BD-3986-4716-A558-4CF87D6E608A.jpeg

I’ve been looking for references Gerry but unfortunately can’t find anything.

I came across a couple of items on eBay below. The detailed information in the second image belongs to the first photo. Quite possibly this is the image referred to in the first post on this thread. Viv.

1930s
View attachment 131495
View attachment 131493

1945/6
View attachment 131494
Thank you, I know they existed, because Dad told me many times about them, and they were definatly called "HANDSWORTH WEDNESDAY", because it was the half-day closing in Brum, and they all worked in shops in the area. I will keep looking, and perhaps something may turn up. Once again Thank You. Gerry

Back