• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Kim

I have reinstated all my posted photos to this thread as requested. I'm sorry you had to wait so long but if I don't keep some sort of sequence then I'm afraid I will lose track of where I am.

Phil

Just found this new site.https://www.saltleygate.co.uk/. Which Is about the miners strike.and the blockade of saltley coke works. There are a few images and newspapers cuttings. Also an article by Arthur Harper.Who was a convenor at Drews lane and led all the workers to saltley gate.I knew Arthur Harper many years ago before he died.And found out his funeral was attended by arthur scargill and red robbo.

I also lived on Farndon Road in the late 50's. When did you move away?

Hannah

Sorry about the delay replying- been busy and also broke my collar bone!

1957- I was born there, at 37 Cranby Street but mom and dad got a house off the council on the Pype hayes estate the year I was born.

This is No.68 Hams Rd.Saltley...ivy covered cottage,not exactly what you would expect down "the old end".

Attachments

• m_68 Hams Rd.jpg
    m_68 Hams Rd.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 139
My father and his family lived at 61 Cranby Street and his motherand sisters still lived there into the 1970s; the family name was Rawlings

Does anyone have a photo of Raymond Road, Alum Rock? My sister lived there before emigrating to Australia?
Thanks. Jojo

hi,guys,.is there any pics, of PAT ROACH..tv star,,& wrestler..at SALTLEY MARKET..on alum rock rd in the 1972/3..opening the market..cheers..christy..

Phil, you are a hero. I have been trying to find a picture of Adderley Road for years and you have come up with one. I was born over Mrs Edwards's shop, No 79 Adderley Road, about a dozen houses from Mr Turner's News/conf/tob. on the corner of Cranby Street. I tried to photograph the shop years ago but it was just a pile of rubble - I was too late. A few years later houses had been built on the site. Now the place where No 79 stood resembles a derelict basketball pitch. If anyone has other pictures I would love to see them.

Thanks again, Phil.

Colin

There are loads of photos of Adderley Road all over the forum as I'm sure most of these are.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley Adderley St.jpg
    Saltley Adderley St.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Duddeston Mill Adderley Rd.jpg
    Duddeston Mill Adderley Rd.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Duddeston Mill Adderley St Adderley Park Inn.jpg
    Duddeston Mill Adderley St Adderley Park Inn.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Saltley Adderley Park 1966.jpg
    Saltley Adderley Park 1966.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Saltley Adderley Park Library 1965.jpg
    Saltley Adderley Park Library 1965.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 193
What super pictures. I didnt know Adderley Park had a library! In the 4th pic is that the Morris factory behind the house or is it the 3M factory where my Dad worked? Anyone got any ideas please.

I went to Adderley School in the late 50's/early 60's. I am sure 3M was in Arden Road on the other side to the park, I used to walk through the park to school from Ash Road. I remember the Morris Commercial Car Social Club, was in Bordesley Green Road. There was a fire late one night which destroyed the building.

I have just looked more closeley at the photos and in the first photo is John Wilkinsons rolling mills. In about 1966 I was secretary to the Managing Director there. The shop on the corner, which I think was Masons when I was young, had gone by then and it was a car park for John Wilkinson. Once again, great photos.

A couple more photos of Adderley Rd, one showing a number 8 bus passing by Wilkinsons Rolling Mills, one of an early version of The Olive Branch and one of an outdoor at No 39.

Attachments

• Saltley Olive Branch Adderley Rd 1930 .jpg
    Saltley Olive Branch Adderley Rd 1930 .jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Saltley  39 Adderley Rd.jpg
    Saltley 39 Adderley Rd.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Saltley Adderley Rd Wilkinson Steel Works .jpg
    Saltley Adderley Rd Wilkinson Steel Works .jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 173
Phil, Thanks for the pictures. I was especially pleased to get the one of Aston Ales as it was between our shop and The Gate. I must have walked past it scores of times but as I left there as a five-year old I was probably not very interested in beer. I was interested, however, in bananas and those are what were displayed in a fruiterer's a few doors past Aston Ales. I wanted those bananas but as it was wartime they were merely waxwork lookalikes. I remember throwing a tantrum until my mother took me inside the shop and the shopkeeper let me touch them to prove they were not real.

My Nan and Grandad lived in the maisonettes at the end of Tarry Rd...Until I fell from the 1st floor balcony, whilst climbing as a naughty 4 year old! Then they were rehoused to Castle Vale to a bungalow surprisingly!!!

Hello bigvern,
I wonder if you could ask your grandparents if they remember any of the people who used to live in the maisonettes, I went to Nansen Rd school and my husband went to Leigh Rd and we remember a few people from that end of Tarry Road.
Regards trebor (Rita)

Back