• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

The final five reaching The three Horse Shoes, I think tomorrow may be our final leg as we reach the old entrance to Elmdon Airport.

Attachments

• 25 Sheldon Coventry Rd Three Horseshoes.jpg
    25 Sheldon Coventry Rd Three Horseshoes.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 21 Sheldon Coventry Rd (2).jpg
    21 Sheldon Coventry Rd (2).jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 22 Sheldon Wagon Hill. Coventry Rd[1].jpg
    22 Sheldon Wagon Hill. Coventry Rd[1].jpg
    64 KB · Views: 157
  • 23 Sheldon Waggon & Horses Coventry Rd Sheldon.jpg
    23 Sheldon Waggon & Horses Coventry Rd Sheldon.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 24 Sheldon Three Horse Shoes Coventry Rd.jpg
    24 Sheldon Three Horse Shoes Coventry Rd.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 162
Another set of images of more or less the same location

Regarding the Swan, herewith a publicity still regarding its inaugural season

image.php

OldMohawk

I answered that question on post #952 when Pete asked me the same thing, it was in 1960 and it was The Indian Workers Association heading toward Deritend for a mass union demonstration.

Phil

As I don't have so many images of this end of Coventry Rd, these last three sets of images will take us from the three horseshoes to the entrance of Elmdon Airport. A trip up Alum Rock Rd or Washwood Heath Rd has been suggested next so I'll see what I can come up with.

Attachments

• 1  Sheldon Coventry Rd Nr Lyndon Rd Sheldon Cinema.jpg
    1 Sheldon Coventry Rd Nr Lyndon Rd Sheldon Cinema.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 2 Sheldon Coventry Rd - Sheaf Lane 1958.JPG
    2 Sheldon Coventry Rd - Sheaf Lane 1958.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 162
  • 3 Sheldon Coventry Rd Shops.jpg
    3 Sheldon Coventry Rd Shops.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 4 Sheldon Coventry Rd The Parade.jpg
    4 Sheldon Coventry Rd The Parade.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 163
  • 5 Sheldon Wheatsheaf Coventry Rd.JPG
    5 Sheldon Wheatsheaf Coventry Rd.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 160
The next five for this section of road

Attachments

• 10 Elmdon Village Farm Coventry Rd 1931.JPG
    10 Elmdon Village Farm Coventry Rd 1931.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 147
  • 6 Sheldon Arden Oak 2002.JPG
    6 Sheldon Arden Oak 2002.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 7 Coventry Rd Terminus Arden Oak[1].jpg
    7 Coventry Rd Terminus Arden Oak[1].jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 8 Sheldon Coventry Rd Arden Oak.jpg
    8 Sheldon Coventry Rd Arden Oak.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 147
  • 9 Elmdon Cock Inn Coventry Rd.JPG
    9 Elmdon Cock Inn Coventry Rd.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 154
The last 4 images for now.

Attachments

• 14 Elmdon Site of Elmdon Airport.JPG
    14 Elmdon Site of Elmdon Airport.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 11 Elmdon B-Ham Airport Destination Sign.jpg
    11 Elmdon B-Ham Airport Destination Sign.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 525
  • 12 Elmdon Bham Airport Entrance.jpg
    12 Elmdon Bham Airport Entrance.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 13 Elmdon Bham Airport Hotel.JPG
    13 Elmdon Bham Airport Hotel.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 200
Bazz

Yes the hotel is still there and I believe that there have been a few more alterations since Google took this photo a few years back

Attachments

• Holliday Inn.JPG
    Holliday Inn.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 115
a1.jpg 1949.
Oak Tree Lane and Bristol Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am going to try here is to trace the old No 56 bus route from outside Henry's store in Union Street to the terminus at the Clock Garage Castle Bromwich. I do know that this might not be the original route, but it is the one I remember and made many times.

We start as I said outside Henry's store in Union St (1). We then make a little journey along Corporation St and down Bull St to Dale End (2) passing the length of Dale End we come to the Shah Jahan at the junction of Coleshill St and Stafford St (3). Passing by the Gaiety Cinema (4) on Coleshill St we come to Prospect Row (5).

Thus ending out first leg of the journey

Please excuse me if the photos don't always appear in the right sequence, but they seem to load themselves in a different order to what I place them in. You will have to run your mouse over them or open them to see the numbers.

Attachments

• 5 Gosta Green Coleshill St - Prospect Row 1940.jpg
    5 Gosta Green Coleshill St - Prospect Row 1940.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 212
  • 1 City Union St 1960.jpg
    1 City Union St 1960.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 2 City Dale End 1960 ad.jpg
    2 City Dale End 1960 ad.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 3 Gosta Green Coleshill St Shah Jahan 1954.jpg
    3 Gosta Green Coleshill St Shah Jahan 1954.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 221
  • s.jpg
    s.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 223
Our next leg of the journey starts with Holbrooks Vinegar & Sauce factory at the junction of Ashted Row and Dartmouth St (6) Our next Landmark is Middleton's Builders (7) by the junction of Henry St. Then comes what was once the Clock Tavern (8) next door to the Black & White Café. Over the road at the junction of Vauxhall Rd and great Francis St we have the original Co op building (9). After passing the Junction Inn we enter Great Francis Street (10).

Just give me a little while and I will be back to continue our journey.

I do realise that some of these photos, especially in the earlier sections of our journey will have been posted to various places in the forum before. In fact I may have posted them myself. The thing is without them I would have to leave whole sections of the journey out.

Attachments

• 10 Nechells Great-Francis-Street-15-1-1952-[1].jpg
    10 Nechells Great-Francis-Street-15-1-1952-[1].jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 6 Nechells Holbrooks Ashted Row.jpg
    6 Nechells Holbrooks Ashted Row.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 7 Nechells Ashted Row.jpg
    7 Nechells Ashted Row.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 8 Nechells Clock Tavern Ashted Row.jpg
    8 Nechells Clock Tavern Ashted Row.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 167
  • 9 Nechells Great Francis St Co-op.jpg
    9 Nechells Great Francis St Co-op.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 169
Phil, to my mind you could post these treasures a hundred times and still I'd engrossed with every one of them. Richie

Now before my day the bus would have continued straight down Great Francis St taking the left fork at the junction (11) of Duddeston Mill Rd, but by my time it turned right and then left into Melvina Rd (12) where it continued downhill alongside the railway tracks and new maisonettes to Saltley Rd where it passed under the bridge (13) then along Saltley Rd to Nechells Place and Saltley Gasworks (14) Then after passing over the viaduct we reach Saltley High St(15).

Attachments

• 11 Nechells Great Francis St 1938.jpg
    11 Nechells Great Francis St 1938.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 12 Nechells Melvina Rd 1967.jpg
    12 Nechells Melvina Rd 1967.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 13 Nechells Saltley Rd.JPG
    13 Nechells Saltley Rd.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 14 Saltley Ashted Service Stn Saltley Rd 1957.jpg
    14 Saltley Ashted Service Stn Saltley Rd 1957.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 15 Saltley Saltley Viaduct.jpg
    15 Saltley Saltley Viaduct.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 212
Travelling along Saltley High Street (16) we reach The Gate Inn (17) There has been a pub on this site since the mid 1800's until recently when the last one was demolished. Turning left at the junction of Alum Rock Rd (18) we turn in to Washwood Heath Rd (19) passing by Arley Rd on the left. Just a little further up the road and we pass Havelock Rd on the right (20).

Attachments

• 16 Saltley High Street.JPG
    16 Saltley High Street.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 17 Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    17 Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 18 Saltley The Gate Alum Rock Rd - Washwood Heath Rd.JPG
    18 Saltley The Gate Alum Rock Rd - Washwood Heath Rd.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 19 Saltley Corner of Arley Rd-Washwood Heath Rd.jpg
    19 Saltley Corner of Arley Rd-Washwood Heath Rd.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 20 Saltley Washwood Heath Rd (3).JPG
    20 Saltley Washwood Heath Rd (3).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 195
The pics in #1043 are fabulous. I spent many hours looking over that wall, watching the trains go by, and Ashted Service Station was where I bought my very first car, and used to get all my petrol. (that was the days when you could afford petrol).

Phil. I dont know where you get all these pics from, but I cant thank you enough for taking the time to post them for us all. Some of the views, and scenes, I thought I would never see again in my life-time. Such wonderful memories.

Now before my day the bus would have continued straight down Great Francis St taking the left fork at the junction (11) of Duddeston Mill Rd, but by my time it turned right and then left into Melvina Rd (12) where it continued downhill alongside the railway tracks and new maisonettes to Saltley Rd where it passed under the bridge (13) then along Saltley Rd to Nechells Place and Saltley Gasworks (14) Then after passing over the viaduct we reach Saltley High St(15).

A series of photos to add to Phils of the Saltley Gasworks post # 1043 showing the retort house chimney demolition in 1907. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342815106.479952.jpg

Phil, found that really interesting, have never been on that route, but know bits of the route, so it was good to see some of the places.Thanks!
Stitcher, the Oak Tree Lane/Bristol Road pic really brings back memories from the early 80s, the shop on the corner was a mini-market, that sold allsorts of things, in no semblence of order, you just browsed until you found something, not always what you wanted! They used to sell the little tins of Heinz toast toppers, a new thing out and as they were really cheap on his offer, we all used to live on them with toast at the end of the month!! And the number of times we have willed the traffic to stop so we could get the 61, 62 or 63 into town.
Thanks for putting it on,
Sue

Back