• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Michaels RC School Floodgate Street

Here is a shot of Saint Michaels RC school Floodgate Street Digbeth.
Not sure on the date for this one.View attachment 76805This is a re-post

Attachments

• A shot of Saint Michaels School.jpg
    A shot of Saint Michaels School.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 33
A shot from Saint Michaels RC school window..picture taken from the collection of an ex school teacher.
Looking into the girls side of the school.s.jpg1960's.

A team shot...showing pupils and teachers from Saint Michaels RC school.
Just before my time here...but I remember all the teachers here. 1960'ss.jpg

hi i`am chris mcnally left st michael`s 1966 can remember all the names john flatley mentioned and a lot more - was mates with michael lawless who came with me from st catherine`s school also a very special girl Jacqueline Nash who was in all my classes throughout my time a st catherine`s would love to hear from her or any of her friends - plus should anyone hear of a school reunion please post it on this site or facebook under st michael`s - cheers chris

Hello John, one of the names you mentioned was Rita Shanahan, I'm wondering if that might have been my aunt. I know she went to a Catholic school nearby. I'm trying to think what might help identify her from back then... I know she was a great Irish dancer and won a good few medals. What do you remember about the Rita at your school? any siblings etc

Hello

Would anyone be interested in a reunion of ex pupils of St. Michaels RC Secondary School Floodgate Street?
All are welcome but especially if you finished school in the summer of 1965.
We shall be meeting at the Robin Hood Pub on the Stratford Road Hall Green on Friday 17th May 2013 from 7pm onwards.
Would love to hear from anyone who was in my year especially Jean Hall , Patricia Casey, Catherine Maguire, Theresa Lacey Thelma Groggan.

Please contact me if you would like more information

Maureen Sinicola (Hodgetts)

Hello

Would anyone be interested in a reunion of ex pupils of St. Michael's RC Secondary School Floodgate Street?
We shall be meeting at the Robin Hood Pub on the Stratford Road Hall Green on Friday 17th May 2013 from 7pm onwards.
Would love to hear from anyone who was in my year especially Jean Hall , Patricia Casey, Catherine Maguire, Theresa Lacey Thelma Groggan.

Great to read about St Michaels, I left in 69 and remember Joe Parker, Dobbins ect. In fact Mr Parker visited our house during one of those long school holidays.Mr Short was the head back then. I'm pretty sure Clare Short MP is his daughter.

i went to st michaels digbeth,54 57,some of my classmates,& friends.philip donovan,terry o,brian(tacky) good footballer,declan troy,roy hunt,venanzio bove,billy mccuirk,bobby mccracken,i often wonder,if he is the father,of robert mccracken,boxing champion,who knocked 10 bells out of me in the ring.girls,anne holden,mary pender.teachers,joe (dirty)parker.mr. mccoy.mr.bobbit woodwork teacher.
rockinden,pulling

View attachment 57318Hi. My name is Dermot Winston
This is a photo of my late parents Michael and Anne Winston.
My dad taught at St Michael's in the 40s 50s
I taught there from 1970 to 1975 when it was sadly closed
The photo shows mom and dad with John Joseph "Rinty" Monaghan a World Flyweight Champion Boxer on a visit to St Mick's
Dermot
Hi, my name is Denis Carter and your dad was my teacher, I became midland schoolboy boxing champion in about 1953
I had red hair my school friend was Leon Warren,
your dad I have never forgot, we got on well together,...bit of a temper but he was OK

I was also at St Michaels [1950s/1955 aug]
I remember Mr Parker [he caned me on many occation.
McCoy [headmaster] and Mrs. McCabe, [I was in her class].
Never a boxer, but I did have one bout with a tough lad called
Mickey Whelan [does anybody recall him]?
Names have seemed to have been erased of Micks, only one I
remember was a DECLAN TROY.
By the way my name is Julian Alcock, I came to live with my
late sister JUNE HOSEY in Barford St. [on the death of my parents].
I was not a Catholic but I got in the school because my new
friends went there [I spent 6/8 months at Hope St. school.
Life was tough, but I survived, now retired, living with Judy my
wife of 38 years.
friends went there.

My name is Denis Carter and I do remember you, we both lived in the middle of Barford St, I had ginger hair like you,and I was a boxer at st' micks,
can you remember us children walking the River Rea, can you remember riding our bikes to Alcester,
I live in Derbyshire now,.....get in touch

Hi, I am a newbie - only joined at the weekend. I have a photo of Class 1a September 1958 (before the St Catherine's pupil's joined us for that year), I need som help in identifying some of the names, and making sure I put the right names to the faces. I am doing a scrapbook page about my time at the school (loathed it)! and I need to get the names right - can anyone help please?View attachment 50488
Back row I have names for l-R 1. Jean Lawton, 2. Maureen O'Connor, 3. Catherine Cassidy 4. (me) Susan Clarke, 5. Jacqueline Williams 6. Elizabeth Mc ? 7. Bernadette H ? 8. Patricia Green (John Scully's aunt) 9. Hazel Pulling 10. Paula? 11. Paulette?
Middle Row l to Rt. 1. ? 2. John Scully 3. ? 4. Pauline C? 5. Judith Digby 6. Patricia Bowen 7. Philomena Sheehan(played accordian) 8. Jean Costello 9. Paul Carpenter? 10. ? 11 . ? 12 ?
Front row lt to rt 1. Paul Cleary 2 Liam Bermingham 3 ? 4. John Disney 5. ? 6. ? 7 ? 8.? Dolan 9. Paul ? 10. ?
11. Brian ? 12. ?
Would be very grateful for any help!
Brian Carpenter, would love to see the photo, I remember all the names, including Michael Dolan tom Griffin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello SallyC I was in the class September 1959, But where is the photo can you please post again, lolooking forward to your photo.

Bob

Well guys I also went to St Micks for two terms in 1A Joe parkers class, sat next to Jonnie Griffin who became a B'ham counciller I believe. Yes I was in the class when Joe Parker was arrested due to a complaint from one of his girl students. There's a lot of activity & photos on the friends united site.
I hope you like the 1st year football team. Any one know the missing names?

Reposted the Photo

1st Years St. Michaels 1959.jpg

Hello

Would anyone be interested in a reunion of ex pupils of St. Michaels RC Secondary School Floodgate Street?

Hi Maureen
John Duffy contacted me about a school reunion this year 2014? Do you know anything about it?
Sorry I could not make it last year hope all went well.

Bob Summers

Hi Maureen
John Duffy contacted me about a school reunion this year 2014? Do you know anything about it?
Sorry I could not make it last year hope all went well.

Bob Summers
Hello Bob

sadly we did not have any response so it was just the usual group who meet up every couple of month who came.

what year did you leave Bob?

Maureen x

I attended St Micks 1950 on wards,The teachers I remembers are Mr McCoy Miss Hill,Mr Parker Miss Carey and a spiteful cooker teacher Miss Carter,Classmates I remember are Winifred Larkin, Eleen Knowles. Maureen Spalding Peter Flynn and Leon Warren. I remember St Micheal. I think it taught me how to survive and to have a how to laugh at my self. I have lived in Australia for over fifty years and have visited Birmingham three times.and had a look at the old place each time.

Back