• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

same thing happend to me maggs at victoria road swimming baths...only a couple of weeks into learning and the teacher put her foot on my head and pushed me down..never did learn to swim after that..

lyn

Good Grief Lyn, imagine that happening today, the teacher would be sacked for abuse/assault. No wonder you never learned to swim.

morning maggs...thats what i was thinking..it put me right off i can tell you...

lyn

Thanks for the pic of Spring Hill bridge, Astoness. That stretch of the 'cut' was my playground as a kid in the early 50s, we swam in it

nicked barges and had a great old time. A few yards to the right, down Clissold passage was a forge where we would hang about watching

the horses being shoed.

Ed.

Right starting from Lancaster Place (now Lancaster Circus) lets make our way through Newtown as far as the Great Barr border with Walsall.

Attachments

• City Lancaster Circus Central Fire Station 1945.jpg
    City Lancaster Circus Central Fire Station 1945.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 197
  • City Lancaster St 1953.jpg
    City Lancaster St 1953.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 193
  • City Lancaster St 1957.jpg
    City Lancaster St 1957.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 197
  • City Lancaster St Brunswick.jpg
    City Lancaster St Brunswick.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Gosta Green Lancaster Street Perry Pens .jpg
    Gosta Green Lancaster Street Perry Pens .jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 211
The next two sets of images all lie between Lancaster Street and New John Street on New Town Row. Was it New Town Row or Newtown Row?

Attachments

• 5 Newtown J A Ryley Newtown Row 1964.JPG
    5 Newtown J A Ryley Newtown Row 1964.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 1 Newtown New John St Great Hampton Row.jpg
    1 Newtown New John St Great Hampton Row.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 2 Newtown Newtown Row - Cecil St  1914.JPG
    2 Newtown Newtown Row - Cecil St 1914.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 3 Newtown Newtown Row - Hatchett St 1900.JPG
    3 Newtown Newtown Row - Hatchett St 1900.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 4 Newtown Palace Cafe Newtown Row.jpg
    4 Newtown Palace Cafe Newtown Row.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 212
Here are the second set of images along New town Row between Lancaster St & New John St.

Attachments

• 10 Newtown Cecil St Marquis of Lorne 1961.jpg
    10 Newtown Cecil St Marquis of Lorne 1961.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 6 Newtown Newtown Row 3.JPG
    6 Newtown Newtown Row 3.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 7 Newtown Newtown Row 4.JPG
    7 Newtown Newtown Row 4.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 8 Newtown Newtown Row Lower Tower St.jpg
    8 Newtown Newtown Row Lower Tower St.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 9 Newtown Row The Palace.jpg
    9 Newtown Row The Palace.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 201
These next series of images run from New John St to High St.

Attachments

• Newtown High Street 3 bhf .jpg
    Newtown High Street 3 bhf .jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Newtown Dog and Duck Newtown High St.jpg
    Newtown Dog and Duck Newtown High St.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 191
  • Newtown High St (3).JPG
    Newtown High St (3).JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Newtown High St 3 bhf.jpg
    Newtown High St 3 bhf.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 189
The next five covering the same location.

Attachments

• Newtown British Lion Newtown Row..jpg
    Newtown British Lion Newtown Row..jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Aston Bracebridge St - Newtown Row.jpg
    Aston Bracebridge St - Newtown Row.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Newtown  Newtown Row Nr Milton St 1960.jpg
    Newtown Newtown Row Nr Milton St 1960.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 213
  • s Newtown Row.JPG
    s Newtown Row.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Newtown Aston Hippadrome Newtown Row.JPG
    Newtown Aston Hippadrome Newtown Row.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 226
And five more

Attachments

• Newtown Newtown Row - Cowper St.JPG
    Newtown Newtown Row - Cowper St.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Newtown Newtown Row (2).jpg
    Newtown Newtown Row (2).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Newtown Newtown Row by Miller St.jpg
    Newtown Newtown Row by Miller St.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Newtown Newtown Row St Stephens Church.JPG
    Newtown Newtown Row St Stephens Church.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Newtown Row bhr.jpg
    Newtown Row bhr.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 207
Great Photo's as always Phil.......posting 850..photo 3 (Woolworths) isn't that Aston Cross ?......I cannot fully recall Newtown Row shops on the side of the road which were pulled down in the early 1960's....but I can remember the Woolworths which was on the corner of Burlington Street and the Row......

Hi Phil, once again realy great photo's !!!!!! you are certenley walking me down a lot of my memory lanes. from lancaster place and down newtown row. was borne in 1945 so i remember
shopping with my Mother in the shops along newtown row. and going to th palace cinema also the aston hip.. what year was it that the fire across the road from the fire station burn down. My Dad worked some place not far from the warehouse's that burnt down.

Many Thanks Pete

Aston Lad

You are correct it is Woolworths on Aston Rd North bracketed by Hunts the pawnbroker and Timpsons the shoe shop. Once again I was relying on the tag with the photo, I will go and remove it and re-tag the photo in my collection. Thanks for pointing it out.

The 3rd picture in post #850 is of The House That Jack Built,High Street,Aston.(Newtown Row) moss

I insured my first cars at P M Hart on Newtown Row. There was always a queue in there. The company moved to Great Barr at some point, but as far as I'm aware no longer exist.

I remember The House That Jack Built very well - it was one of my mother's favourite places for hardware and other bits and pieces.

G

The 3rd picture in post #850 is of The House That Jack Built,High Street,Aston.(Newtown Row) moss
Was there another branch of the House That Jack Built at the top of Potters Hill ? or am I getting confused(Which Is quite often these days)
Regards Reg

Hi Reg: As far as I remember there was W.M. Taylor's shop at Potters Hill and only one "House That Jack Built" in Newtown.

Hi Phil,
I'm enjoying this journey along Newtown Row. In the 50's we used to go into town on Saturday mornings and homewards we would catch a No 6 tram even though we had to get off at the terminus in Perry Barr and then catch a bus to Great Barr. We liked to ride on the open balcony trams as seen in photos 1 and 4 in #852. The tram in photo 3 in #850 is on the stretch where the road was so narrow, the tracks had to be overlapped, and I wonder whether such track layout occurred anywhere else in Birmingham. There was a possiblity for a 'meeting' of trams on such stretches especially if it was foggy.
Phil

Great group of photos Phil. I'm a little saddened though that I only recognise a couple of them. This stretch must have been virtually obliterated in the 1960s. Viv.

smashing trip down memory lane phil...phil in answer to your earlier question..it is spelt newtown row and can i just draw you to post 848 pic 2...this is not of the newtown row run...its a pic taken on the corner of new john st west and gt hampton row...njs west is off newtown row...

keep em coming phil..

lyn

Lyn you are right of course, it's even tagged as you say Great Hampton St & New John St West. I get my new glasses next Tuesday.

phil even though my necko of the woods im constantly referring to my trusty 1940s map of the area..didnt not even know until a few years back that njsw ended at newtown row then after that accross the lights it was new john st...from time to time i repost this map for members who may find it useful for getting about...

lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My next two sets of images run from High Street Newtown to Trinity Road Aston, once again this is not my side of town so if there are any errors please tell me as you will be doing me a favour.

Attachments

• Aston Birchfield Rd Saddlers Arms.jpg
    Aston Birchfield Rd Saddlers Arms.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Aston Birchfield Rd  The Orient.jpg
    Aston Birchfield Rd The Orient.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 208
  • Aston Birchfield Rd (2).JPG
    Aston Birchfield Rd (2).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Aston Birchfield Rd (3).JPG
    Aston Birchfield Rd (3).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Aston Birchfield Rd Aston Wallpaper House.jpg
    Aston Birchfield Rd Aston Wallpaper House.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 206
The next set of five

Attachments

• Aston Birchfield Rd.jpg
    Aston Birchfield Rd.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 189
  • s Birchfield Rd.jpg
    s Birchfield Rd.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 192
  • Aston Six Ways 1949.jpg
    Aston Six Ways 1949.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Aston Six Ways Birchfield Rd.jpg
    Aston Six Ways Birchfield Rd.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Handsworth Holy Trinity Birchfield Rd 1978 .jpg
    Handsworth Holy Trinity Birchfield Rd 1978 .jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 193
hi as anyone got any old photos of Haymills I live in Arthur Terrace off Arthur Road from 1948 to 1957 the terrace was knocked down in the 60s. I have searched the web for photos taken in the 40s and 50s, but to no avail. Can you help.

Back