• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

All Souls Church, Birchfield, Stafford.

Dr Di

Brummie babby
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me what happened to this church please? I've looked everywhere for it. It did exist, and its parish was formed from Holy Trinity Church and St Peter & Pauls Aston. But I can't find it on maps, was it demolished during the War? My great uncle & aunt Arthur Davis and Hannah Elizabeth Bates nee Carvell were married there in 1920. They were living at 32 The Broadway at the time. Can anyone tell me why both people gave the same address? I know that Arthur was living with his parents in Gerrard St in 1920, so why would he give his address as The Broadway?
I just want to say how wonderful this site is, and how helpful people have been with my family 'brickwalls'. Particular thanks to Sopiri and Ladylinda:beam:

Hi Dr Di

Firstly, people gave one address to save costs - reading the Banns of Marriage in two churches was twice as expensive as reading one lot.

I have looked for this church on Bham.de, and it is not listed on the site - have you any idea when it was built? Bham.de is quite good, and I have not ever known a church that is not on there. Why would there need to be a parish formed from St Peter and St Paul and Holy Trinity? They were close and covered a large area - I find this a bit baffling. What road was it on? Give us a clue and the hunt will commence.

Shortie

Dear Dr Di

All Souls, Wenlock Road, Witton was designed by Phillip Chatwin and consecrated in 1907, it was originally served by the clergy of Holy Trinity, Birchfield. In 1926 it was assigned a parish out of Ss Peter & Paul Aston and Holy trinity, Birchfield.
Birmingham Archives have baptism and registers from 1907-1980 and marriage registers from 1908-1980.
The Diocese of Birmingham declared the church redundant on 18/03/1981 and on 31/07/1981 it was sold to the Church of God (Universal).

Hope this helps
regards
Andy Parkes

I lived at 61 The Broadway, right at the T-junction between The Broadway and Wenlock Road, and I remember All Souls very well from the early 1950's onwards. The first incumbent I recall was the Rev Charles Lee, who left I think in the lateb1950's to take up an appointment at Crowland Abbey, Lincolnshire. I sang in the choir at his induction. The next incumbent was the Rev George Bernard Walmseley, and following him the Rev Foster who was the last incumbent prior to All Souls being made redundant. I was married in All Souls on July 3rd 1971, by my brother the Rev Michael Bryant, with the Rev Foster officiating. I recall it as a dark, dismal church, and when I was a child it always seemed to smell of stewed tea! The church hall was also used for a period as an annexe by Canterbury Cross Primary School. The last time I visited was for a funeral in about 1976.

Hope this is of interest, Dr Di.

Big Gee

I lived in Woodall Road which was the next road along The Broadway to Wenlock Road. My memories of All Souls are the dances that were held in the Church Hall every Tuesday afternoon / evening. The first was for us youngsters, all early teenagers, the second dance was for the adults, and amongst them was my mom and many of my friends mothers. I also recall mom saying that All Souls was a 'High Church' and that incense was used, which she considered was unnecessary.

Thank you Andy, Big Gee and Shortie! So the church is still on Wenlock Rd then? I wonder if it would it be possible to visit it, or is it locked up like most churches are these days. Does anyone know how I could find out who was living at 32 The Broadway in 1919/20, I keep wondering if Hannah Elizabeth was living alone and what she was doing for a living? She was a widow, and the widow of a soldier, but I don't think they had widows pensions in the early 1900s? Dr Di

Hi Dr. Di: The church building All Souls is still standing in Wenlock Road. Since it's records are now at the Birmingham Central Library, Archives & Heritage Department - 1907 to 1980 and it's not listed as All Souls in the Churches List I am assuming that it is either not used as a church anymore or may be used for some other purpose. Someone else may know more. I had a look at the building via Google View and it is a very nice builiding.

All Souls had a very proud history. Many a young personat attending the church found their future spouses there either in the church or social clubs. I personally played cricet for 45yrs for All Souls Cricket Club which has just past its 80th Birthday from its foundation. Anyone with a connection should get in touch with this blog. Incidentally the vicar prior to Charlie Lee was Vicar Pitt. The church had a wonderful vicarage in Normandy Road. Incidently you can get a good photo to download from Google Street View.​

Are you really telling us that there is still an All Souls Cricket Club? What blog are you referring to?

The last incumbent to live in the Normandy Road vicarage was the Rev Foster. I think the vicarage building, which is still there, is now apartments.

Big Gee

Big Gee, I am sorry to inform you that the All Souls Cricket Club no longer exists. It played its last game about three years ago. It toured Pembroke for many years as well as playing in and around Birmingham. They used the sportsfield in Romilly Avenue, Handsworth from 1958 onwards. The members still keep in touch and have the occasional reunion dinner. Members attending span 60 years of playing. If you had contact with the team at any time you would know some of the ex-players. We are in the process of writing a club history which we hope to have available by the year end.

Di.Poppitt. Were you a member of the All Souls Social Club either Junior or Senior? Perhaps you are too young. I am thinking of the late '40's and '50's. Do any of the following names mean anything to you? Yvonne Le Roux, Peter or Eddie Leicester, Graham Juggins, Sheila or Betty Jones et al. Let me know if they have any resonance. Best wishes. willey

Di.Poppitt. Were you a member of the All Souls Social Club either Junior or Senior? Perhaps you are too young. I am thinking of the late '40's and '50's. Do any of the following names mean anything to you? Yvonne Le Roux, Peter or Eddie Leicester, Graham Juggins, Sheila or Betty Jones et al. Let me know if they have any resonance. Best wishes. willey

Hello Willey,

I remember some of the people you mention. Yvonne Le Roux's father was a churchwarden at All Souls. I think Yvonne married Peter Leicester, who I also remember. Graham Juggins and his brother David lived on Bragg Road and were involved in the 177th Scout Troop at All Souls.

Do you remember Mike Bryant, Graham Gomm, Derek Peatey, Roy Hines, Mary Neale, John Spaull,
Derek Spaull, Colin Mitchell?

Big Gee

Hi Willey, I wasn't a member of the Social Club, but it was my era and I probably knew most of the people who were members, I knew Yvonne Le Roux, Sheila and Betty Jones, and the Juggins boys. I also knew the Spaul boys who Grahame mentioned. There were lots of families in Wenlcok Road who probably went to All Souls, The Mehans, Greens, Clutterbucks to name a few. Lots of memories being stirred here. I was a Brownie with the pack that was involved with the church, and we used to meet in the Vicarge garden in summer. That was such a treat, because the garden was large and beautiful, and we were kids with a postage stamp back garden overlooked by every house in the terrace.

Last edited:
Hi Di.Poppitt! Sorry that I have not replied sooner. I have had a lot of contact with Graham Bryant and he says that he knows you well. I think that our paths probably did not cross at All Souls. I guess that I have a few more years on the clock than your goodself. I see you were a Brownie there. I was a Cub Scout and a Rover Scout. Are you aware that Yvonne Le Roux and Graham Juggins are no longer with us!? Yvonne died some ten years ago and Graham even earlier than that. Regards, willey

I am sorry to hear that Yvonne and Graham are no longer with us. One of the Juggins boys had Polio, and we were all told to be very quiet when we passed the house. They lived on the corner of Woodall Road and The Broadway, and I can remember standing outside the house and looking up at the bedroom windows. When he was getting better, but still in bed, we all trooped in to see him.

Willey I almost forgot, I think our time clocks are ticking at just about the same time My era was very myuch the late 40's early 50's. By '57 I was married.

Sorry to hear that Yvonne La Roux (spelling?) and Graham Juggins have gone. I remember both of them.

Big Gee

Hi, sorry to gatecrash a thread, Yvonne LeRoux was my mum, as the thread say's she was married to Peter Leicester, they seperated in 1978 having had two boys, both re-married, mum to Rob Pither whose first wife , Sheila , had sadly died, they lived first in Melrose Road then in Brownhills, mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer and passed away some eleven years ago, Rob then moved down to Devon where he is still enjoying the countryside! My dad, Peter, is still going strong and lives in Worcester with his second wife Sue. Mr Leroux (Claude) passed away at 96, his wife , Gertrude (or Peggy as most knew her) actually outlived my mum and went on to reach 100!
Eddie Leicester passed away around nine years ago.
I have many happy memories of the All Souls cricket tours to South Wales, they were great fun!
Regards, Andy

Hi Andrew! Remember me? Keith Wilson. I have just given your father the newly completed history of All Souls Cricket Club (80yrs old). If you contact him you will read some of the happy, funny memories of those cricket tours plus photos of your father and grandfather. If you are interested we could exchange e-mail addresses. Regards. Keith

Back