• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soho Road Handsworth

Maggs it probably wasnt a full playing field, but it had small tennis courts and playing pitches for netball etc.

This is the Soho Road station building viewed from below where the platforms would have been. Interesting to see how the building works in terms of getting the passengers from the street to the platforms. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332023465.314466.jpg Photo from the Warwickshire Railways site.

Agree Paul. How busy this must once have been. Does anyone know if the station was replaced? Or did it close altogether? I didn't realise there was a station there. Viv.

I don't know Viv, as a boy I went regularly down the soho road and never saw one, also my aunties garden backed onto the railways and the trains always steamed through at a great rate.
paul

Original Soho Road Station opened by the London and North Western Railway 1st April 1889. Closed by the London Midland & Scottish Railway 5th May 1941 as a war time measure when many other stations in Birmingham were closed. The line is still used today as a divertionary route.

If you go to London Midland Trains route maps on https://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/our-route/#citymap you will see the line is marked on their map as a direct line from New Street to Hamsted on the Walsall line as still in use today.

Over the years I have managed to travel the Soho Line

Soho North Junct to Perry Barr South Junct (both directions)
Soho South Junct to Perry Barr South Junct (both directions)
Perry Barr North Junct to Soho South Junct (southbound)

Have not yet managed Soho North Junct to Perry Barr North Junct

Thanks for the map Viv, my Auntie lived at 112a, Vicarage Rd, which is on your map and only a little way away from the station as #102 says it shut down in war time and did't reopen so that's why I had never seen it.
paul

How beautiful is that?!!! The outside looks in such a sorry state though, as you say Viv let's hope this survives.

img682.jpg
Soho Road. 1939.
I can not be sure if I have posted this one before or not.
If someone knows for sure let me know and I will edit it.

Do you know Stitcher, that policeman looks just like my dad!!!, he was in 'C' Division Birmingham City Police, in 1939, and lived in Vicarage Road, Hansworth, I wonder if anyone knows if Handsworth was covered by C Division.
paul

Hello Paul, there will be a member better equipped than you or I who will know, or will be able to find out for you.

Hello Paul, there will be a member better equipped than you or I who will know, or will be able to find out for you.

img684.jpg
With the equipment I have, this is the best I can do Paul, does it help at all??

Do you know Stitcher I really think it is!!!!, thank you I have tried to save to show my sister but cannot.
Regards Paul

How wonderful to have found a photo with your Dad on Paul. Pity it isn't a bit clearer for you but a marvellous find if it is him. I must have seen him lots when I was growing up, living just round the corner from me. I remember your Mom's face well on that VE Day photo - was he on that photo?

Judy

Do you know Stitcher, that policeman looks just like my dad!!!, he was in 'C' Division Birmingham City Police, in 1939, and lived in Vicarage Road, Hansworth, I wonder if anyone knows if Handsworth was covered by C Division.
paul

hi paul what a find if this is your dad....by the way handsworth was covered by C division...

lyn

Hello Jay and Lyn thank you for your reply's, I really do think it was my dear old dad, No Jayell my dad was in the American 5th army hospital in Naples severely wounded at "Salerno", whilst an artillery spotter. when the photo was taken.
regards paul

Hi all
i see the Elite Picture house is mentioned and i thought you
may like to see a program from there.

Image2.jpg Image5.jpg

Regards Stars

Very good stars, just look at the prices for the cinema seats. I bet those picture houses were packed. Didn't realize that there used to be another cinema in that area other than the Paladium.

Wow Stars! Loved seeing that programme for the Elite. In 1951 I would have been visiting the cinema regularly as it was one of 3 cinemas on Soho Road, and within easy walking distance of where I lived, so it's more than likely that I probably saw one or more of the films on the programme. The manager was a friend of my Dad's and we used to display the cinema's poster in my parents' hotel's entrance.

Judy

re the early post about 113 Soho Road, I think it still is a hardware shop of sorts, and did you go to KEGS?

Hello. Lived in Babington Road 1956-1985 just off Soho Rd: Qu > Was the hardware shop called the "Little Red Shop" just opposite the Red Lion ? it was the "smell of parafin" that triggered me off - my mom used to send me round every week or so for a gallon of parrafin.

Great memories of the ABC Regal and the minor's on a Sat morning, used to be 6d stalls & 9d circle.
There was a scrap black model T ford on the car park for years.

There was a milestone (same as or very similar to the earlier pic) situated close to the wesleyan holiness church up towards the New Innes and I am 100% sure it is still there.

The Little Red Shop was not quite opposite the Red Lion, it was next to Darlington's on the other side of Boulton Road - more or less opposite the wine shop on the corner of Linwood Road (can't remember what that was called).

Back