• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Mary

Laburnum Avenue, Grange Rd, Small Heath. if we are talking about the same place. It is the terrace on the right on this 1890's map. As I say that is if it is the Grange Rd in Small Heath you are looking for, as there must be at least half a dozen Grange Rd's in Birmingham.

Phil

Thank you Phil,

I have two* birth certs from 1876 and 78 which says Registration is Aston - Birth District Deritend? - and birth Address is Laburnham Terrace, Grange Road'
It doesn't mention Small Heath - although on the 1881 Census it states these two* people were born at Small Heath! So could be right maybe?

Mary

another one of my favourites with lots of atmosphere i think...

taken from moat row a lovely view of st martins church..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this photo as well Lyn I can just imagine what it was like then all those lovely old buildings now gone. Good job we still have St Martins.

Some old and not so old views of Birmingham, im quite sure you all know the locations ..... ragga:courage:

6021616489_0aff98815a_b.jpg6828200552_951def528e_b.jpg6899008937_64f7daa293_b.jpg6945698970_e362d57d0a_b.jpg 7074799421_9f256c27bb_o.jpg

It certainly is Wendy. If it wasn't for that church, I don't think I would know where I was in the city centre anymore. Lovely old buildings gone, and ugly new one's in their place, no character at all.

hi maggs...dont think i ever went to the gaumont cinema...i remember it being there though...

That's a shame Lyn, you missed a treat not ever going there. They used to have cream leather sofa's in the waiting area, whilst you waited for the film of your choice to begin. Lot's of 'Stars' photo's on the wall's. To me it was the best cinema in the town.

Love the atmospheric photo of St Martins church, thank you for that.

hi maggs...thing is as kids we usually stuck to the picture houses near to where we lived...by the time i was old enough to go up town by myself a lot of them had gone or if not i was then into going to the pub lol...here are a few more from me..

westley road..acocks green..dated 1975

image.jpeg

not exactly a street but a nice one..
christchurch passage with new st in view..dated 1970..not long after this pic was taken the buildings on the right were demolished..

image.jpeg

cattell road/coventry road...dated 1973

image.jpeg

hockley hill...dated 1960..love this one as it shows both the trees pub and the duke of york...sadly both now gone..ive walked past them both many many times on my way to work in vyse st..

image.jpeg

albert road..stechford....dated 1975

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Phil,

I have two* birth certs from 1876 and 78 which says Registration is Aston - Birth District Deritend? - and birth Address is Laburnham Terrace, Grange Road'
It doesn't mention Small Heath - although on the 1881 Census it states these two* people were born at Small Heath! So could be right maybe?

Mary

Mary, It is the right Grange Road. Deritend was a district in Aston before Birmingham became enlarged in 1911, and I have found relatives in that area shown as as such, and later calling it Small Heath, some nowadays call it Bordesley Green depending on which end you live!
Sounds like it was court or terrace - they often (and still) have names above the entries put up by the builders to make them sound nicer - They still do it today on the small infill building plots - "The Laurels", or "The Larches" etc!

Yes Lyn, that's absolutely true, we did stick to the picture houses close to where we lived. I had a choice of The Palladium, The Grove and the Edgbaston, and mostly I went to these. Suppose I only went to the Gaumont a couple of times. Great pics again Lyn, I like Christchurch Passage. The loss of those buildings is, and always will be tragic.

Yes Lyn, that's absolutely true, we did stick to the picture houses close to where we lived. I had a choice of The Palladium, The Grove and the Edgbaston, and mostly I went to these. Suppose I only went to the Gaumont a couple of times. Great pics again Lyn, I like Christchurch Passage. The loss of those buildings is, and always will be tragic.

totally agree with you maggs..will they never learn that once these buildings are gone they will never be replaced...

lyn

Lyn, they wouldn't have the know how or the money to build like that anymore. Makes me wonder who did build them, obviously good architects in their day, everything was so ornamental and finished with such flare, it all made Brum what it isn't today.

Hi Lyn,thanks for posting the picture of the Greenway Pub,corner of Cattel Rd & Coventry Rd.I dont think I have sen that Pic before.
Keegs.

ive left the caption on this one...just look at the photographers on top of the gaumont and on the ledge of the building next to it..

img861.jpg

Lyn, its fascinating to realise that almost certainly one of the photographers on the canopy of the Gaumont Cinema or the balcony of the Wesleyan Insurance (centre) was a 'Daily Mirror' reporter responsible for the capture reproduced here:-
00171904.jpg

Here's the second of just two photos Mirror-wise taken at the same location:-

00171918.jpg

*While I'm on, is it OK with you if I take a copy of the Gaumont one in order to send to my friends at CinemaTreasures?

richie please feel free...to my mind pics are there to be shared...

thanks for the other ones....smashing...

lyn

I think that photo was taken from the roof of the Gaumont rather then the canopy. great photo.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you are correct Frothy given that the picture looks down on the portico of the Wesleyan and General building to the left of the Gaumont whereas the canopy is roughly level with the top of the portico.

Back