• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham FC

earlgary

master brummie
Does anyone have any information on Birmingham City players around 1935/1936, I believe a Jack Sykes played for them some time around then.
Can anyone confirm this?

'ockey! 'ockey 'ockey Oi! Oi! Oi!

Aye aye aye aye Herriot is better than Yashin
Hockey is better than Eusebio
And Villa are in for a thrashin!

Many years ago when I worked for BT we refueled our vans in Garrison Lane Transport depot and then met for a 'cuppa' at a Cafe opposite, more than once I met Trevor Hockey in there, I remember he had an unusual car, I think it was a Triumph Herald or Vittesse completely covered with a grass-like material, never seen anything ike it. Also for a time I looked after their telephone system and press box telephones, they often gave me a pair of tickets not realising I was a Villa supporter, so I would give them to my Blues supporter mates. Eric

Last edited:
All great memories, I remember Jim Herriots last international for Scotland...he let in 6.
Can't remember if he was chosen again after that.
Trevor Francis is in shot..Johnny Vin..!!!

May 1969 I was at Wembley to watch England beat Scotland 4 - 1. Jimmy Herriot was in goal for Scotland. I think it was the only time I ever wanted him to have an off night. Peters and Hurst got a brace each for England and Colin Stein scored for Scotland. Me and my mate bought a couple of tickets off some spiv, only to be told that they were for the Scotland end and the guy said, I've got a couple of tickets and I don't mind standing with the Scots; so being dumb we swopped and guess where we ended up? Right in the middle of millions frpm north of the border wearing kilts and tamashanters! When England scored in our broadest scots-brummie we quietly muttered "I say chaps...reasonable goal, what?"

Here is an earlier shot of the team...can you get you teeth around who they are?View attachment 76810

I worked for BCFC for quite awhile,Certainly around the time this pic was taken,so I think the lineup goes like this-No Trevor Hockey, I am afraid.
Back Row-Alan Campbell/Gary Pendry/Denis Thwaites/Dave Latchford/Mike Kelly/Dave"Sugar" Robinson/Geoff Vowden/Malcom Page/Keith Bowker.
Front Row-Bert Murray/Malcom Beard/Trevor Francis/Johnny Vincent/Ray Martin/Bob Latchford/Phil Summerhill/Mick Harrison/Gordon Taylor.

I have Quite a lot of Photo's etc from the time I was there (up to about 1973),and I grew up in the area so had saturday job there before working there after leaving school.I could post them if there was interest.I thought the site was mostly Villa fans though.

'Wow' thats impressive keegs.
You know....I was always amazed byTrevor's ability to sky a ball and make it seem like it was a balloon that left his boot...(Very little effort)
Do you remember the pratice balls the team used back then when they were warming up for a game?
They reminded me of netballs, they were so big.
They 'bloody' hurt too, if they fly at you.
As one did to me one Saturday afternoon behind the Tilton Road end.
memories
redken

PS. Be fantastic to see your photographs.

Keegs. Im sure the Blue half of the forum would like to see more photos. It has been the wrong colour for too long.

QUOTE=redken;444373]Here's a face I idolized back then.View attachment 76812[/QUOTE]
Didn,t know Kevin Keegan played for the Blue noses when younger obviously did a runner when he saw the quality of his team mates.

Keegs. Im sure the Blue half of the forum would like to see more photos. It has been the wrong colour for too long.
I will sort 'em out and start posting asap.I will add what personal info I have too.
Keep right on.

'Wow' thats impressive keegs.
You know....I was always amazed byTrevor's ability to sky a ball and make it seem like it was a balloon that left his boot...(Very little effort)
Do you remember the pratice balls the team used back then when they were warming up for a game?
They reminded me of netballs, they were so big.
They 'bloody' hurt too, if they fly at you.
As one did to me one Saturday afternoon behind the Tilton Road end.
memories
redken

PS. Be fantastic to see your photographs.
I still have one of those old footballs they used in training.The bladder has perished away,so not a lot of use anymore.

IMGP3194.jpg
Right,here we go then in no particular order.First with a lot more hair and a GREAT taste in shirts,Trevor Francis from April 1973

IMGP3196.jpg
Another fom 1973.Dave,father Reg and Bob Latchford player of the year awards.Dave first place,Bob second.

IMGP3191.jpg
The idea was to sell Programmes at local newsagents as well as at the ground.
Some of the "blues"matchday programme ladies at the Cattle Road offices loading up to make deliveries.

IMGP3182.jpg
Training sesion St Andrews
Back-Geoff Vowden/Bert Murray/Ron Fenton/Joe Mallet(Trainer)
Front-Malcom Beard/Barry Bridges/Colin Green/Trevor Hockey.

Back