• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingsbury Rd, Erdington

Interesting map... the letter 'e' in Birches is I think the Farm entrance which may have become Birches Green Rd. The later OS Map around 1908 I think shows it more clearly as well as the Farm buildings (in my photo) and the position of the pond.

That's the one David.. I was only 5 yrs out ha! So, 1913 map showing no houses in that portion of Kingsbury Rd. By 1917 No. 441 plus others were already built. They were owned by Dunlop to meet the needs of their management team (the houses with bay windows) coincidentally the house numbers corresponded with the particular managers Dunlop phone extension!

Would anyone happen to have a picture of our old house 100 Kingsbury Road?

We lived there from the middle 1940's untill the 1950's and I attended Riland Road School until we moved to Stockland Green.

It was a very large house with attic rooms and huge gardens, in it's day it would have been a grand 'big house' double fronted with a rather grand entrance porch and a double drive.......I know it was later demolished to make way for two blocks of flats that were built on the grounds.

No one in the family has a photo of this lovely old house that holds so many happy memories of my childhood.:blue: I would love to see it again.

Just a thought that some of you from the surrounding area must surely remember the Burr family!!! There were 5 kid's... Alex & Barbara B1941 Roger & Marian B1946 and Myself Ian B1953... we all went to Birches Green school Alex and Roger then went to Moor End Lane school Barbara and Marian to Fentham school and I went to Paget Rd Sec Mod.

I know this is an old post but I did remember Barbara Burr from Fentham School where I attended.

And I love this one. Afraid no date. But look at those wonderful thatched cottages. No idea where this would be on Kingsbury Road, doesn't look familiar to me. It may not be Birmingham of course, but it's labelled as Birminggam on eBay. If it's not B'ham shall remove it. Be interested to find out if it is. Viv.

image.jpeg

Kingsbury Road is a very long road it appears, running from Gravelly Hill almost to Kingsbury. so it could be anywhere along that road particularly as the photos are before the time of dual carriageways and the M6. However, the second photo (Post 32) does have a little affinity to the first one (Post 31) I believe.

I grew up in 123 Kingsbury Road during the 1970s, a semi detached house over 3 floors which had servant bells along with a rich history. I am seeking to investigate its history because it seems that the house was built by the Rackhams family back in the early 1900s which indicates that there is more to the house and Erdington at that time . Is there that knows of the social history of that time and can enlighten us all on what were the social mores of that time.

Would anyone happen to have a picture of our old house 100 Kingsbury Road?

We lived there from the middle 1940's untill the 1950's and I attended Riland Road School until we moved to Stockland Green.

It was a very large house with attic rooms and huge gardens, in it's day it would have been a grand 'big house' double fronted with a rather grand entrance porch and a double drive.......I know it was later demolished to make way for two blocks of flats that were built on the grounds.

No one in the family has a photo of this lovely old house that holds so many happy memories of my childhood.:blue: I would love to see it again.
I lived at 123 Kingsbury Rd, were you on the posh Cul de Sac ?

Would I be correct in stating that the houses on Kingsbury Road between Spring Lane and Holly Lane (including Tolworth Hall Road) would have been built around 1935? Also assuming the shops between Holly Lane and Tyburn Road were built much earlier?

I would have thought so. A lot of the houses on the left heading towards Spring Road are Pre-War social houses.

I believe that this is the view from one of the Council Houses between Holly Lane and Spring Road. The front garden looks immaculate so I am wondering if it one of the winners of the annual Council Best Garden Contest.

Kingsbury Rd Erdington circa 1963.jpg

I would have thought so. A lot of the houses on the left heading towards Spring Road are Pre-War social houses.
Thanks for your reply. I think I read somewhere the Birches Green estate was around 1926 but I did wonder about the date of the "even" side of Kingsbury Road where I live, backing on to Erdington playing fields and also with regard what point/year during war time when the concrete bunkers and gun placements on the field were installed.

I believe that this is the view from one of the Council Houses between Holly Lane and Spring Road. The front garden looks immaculate so I am wondering if it one of the winners of the annual Council Best Garden Contest.

View attachment 150541

I love that pic, Morturn! My Dad wasn't a gardener but our neighbours were, and often won the Council Best Garden Contest, and even individual ones for his dahlias. A bygone time...
Lynn.

Back