• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dares Brewery

morris

master brummie
I remember a Dares brewery about 50 years ago. i dont remember exact location but it was somewhere near birmingham town centre. They made a lovely bitter. i remember going there when i was an electrical contracting apprentice.
reg

I remember a Dares brewery about 50 years ago. i dont remember exact location but it was somewhere near birmingham town centre. They made a lovely bitter. i remember going there when i was an electrical contracting apprentice.
reg

I think it was in the Highgate area, Belgrave Road way ?

Dare's was at 200-208 Belgrave road, about in the middle between Frank St and Gooch St on the north side
mike

hI REGGIE
I HATE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THE SUBJECT OF THERE BITTER,
WHEN I FIRST TRIED IT I THOUGHT IT WAS VINAGAR, BUT SAYING THAT IT WAS THE VERY FIRST TIME I TRIED IT WAS IN THE NAFFIE AT THE LICHFIELD BARRACKS
I WAS AN ORIGINAL ANSELLS MAN [ BITTER DRINKER [ RIGHT UP UNTIL THEY CLOSED THE BREWERY DOWN AT ASTON CROSS. AND THE GOOD BREWING MEN THAT WORKED THERE WAS BRILLIANT
THEY NEW HOW TO MAKE IT THE MEN LEFT AND FORMED A COALITITION AND STARTED UP
AT ASTON MANNOR BREWERS DOWN SANDY LANE ASTON FOR A GUY WHOM WAS RELATED TO OLD DOUG ELLISS , BUT BY THEN I GOT CONVERTED TO THE GREAT M.B BREWERS
BUT GETTING BACK TO DARED=S I NEVER RELATED TO IT PERHAPS THEY WAS USING SOME DIFFERENT HOPS BUT THEY NEVER REALLY LAST LONG IN THE GAME
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;;;

reg

Hi Reg,

There used to be a Dare's pub on the right hand side of
Broad Street, almost opposite what was then the College
of Commerce, now I believe the Registry Office.

Kind regards

Dave

Re: dares brewery

I was given this bottle opener yesterday, well I asked for it before it was thrown out. I only photographed one side as the other is a bit saucy...lol

Some of this info was taken from a Dares beer mat.

This company was located at the Southend Brewery on Belgrave Road in the Highgate area of Birmingham. The origins of William Dare & Son, a family-owned company, goes back to the 19th century, though they only registered as Dare's Brewery Ltd in August 1927. In addition to producing their own beers, Dare's had a bottling plant which was once used by Worthington's. The Southend Brewery was eventually acquired by Davenport's in 1961 by which time the firm had a tied estate of 30 pubs.
Dares_Ales_Bottle_opener_002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Wendy,

Just remembered the Dare's pub in Broad Street. It was the Hungry Man,
- popularly known as the 'Starving Ba---rd.'

Kind regards

Dave

hi jon
yes you are quite correct it was indeed the postion and across the rd there was a big pub at the junction which was used by unknow and some known actors in the thearter it was a green tiled building
and itwas if i remember correctly on the corner of long street by the old set of traffic lights on the belgrave rd
at this precise moment i cannot just think of its name but it will come to me with in momemnts of posting i am sure ;
as i have said previusly when i joined the forces and ryed dares it was like drinkin vinagar ;
best wishes astonian ;; alan ;

I was given this bottle opener yesterday, well I asked for it before it was thrown out. I only photographed one side as the other is a bit saucy...lol

Some of this info was taken from a Dares beer mat.

This company was located at the Southend Brewery on Belgrave Road in the Highgate area of Birmingham. The origins of William Dare & Son, a family-owned company, goes back to the 19th century, though they only registered as Dare's Brewery Ltd in August 1927. In addition to producing their own beers, Dare's had a bottling plant which was once used by Worthington's. The Southend Brewery was eventually acquired by Davenport's in 1961 by which time the firm had a tied estate of 30 pubs.
Dares_Ales_Bottle_opener_002.JPG
I worked at Davenports about 1970 -74, and I think Dares was taken over around then.

Peter Murphy the old Blues player worked there too.

hello all, the pub on the corner of longmore st and belgrave road was called the eagle, i used to live up the road from there.

shardeen

The Dares brewery was on Belgrave Road on the site where the mosque is now. The brewery was demolished in the mid 60s, I had to go there several times on contract work during my apprentice days and friends of mine lived next door in Belgrave Road and the smell of the hops was all pervading. So I remember it well, I lived in Upper Highgate St and then St Martins flats during the 50s and 60s and spent my childhood in and around the area.

HI JDISNEY ;
I Remember the brewery as well; when i worked for divis the builers in wrentham street we done all the houseing repairs around the area ;
around those times and i thught there beer was rubbish it tasted like vinaga to me yet alone the colour
may be it was because i was one of those men ; [which said in those days of advertizing are you an ansells man ; beer advert ;]
and yes i was i lived next door to ansells brewery and i mean next door ;when there work force used to wear wood cloggs
they was the number one brewers as far as i was concered until it changed and under when they stopped making it
i never liked M;B s . during my drinking years it had to be good old Ansels ; but then i was forced to go to thenm in the end
i eventualy got to like it and i eventualy ended up working for them for years
but dares terrible ; just like vinigar ; huh best wishes astonian;

I remember Ansells brewery very well, they had their own artesian well which they used to draw the water from and it was this that aledgedly gave Ansells mild beer its distinctive flavour. The water was also tapped by HP for their sauce mixes. I used to go to both factories as an apprentice and then as a fitter on the lifts.

Sadly both gone now, I haven't been through Aston for a long time, 20 years at least. I remember the HP tower was a lift shaft that housed 2 very big goods lifts and my job was to service them monthly and do the reports. The original plan was they would extend the building up 3 floors which was why the shafts were taller than the rest of the building.

Happy days

I remember Ansells brewery very well, they had their own artesian well which they used to draw the water from and it was this that aledgedly gave Ansells mild beer its distinctive flavour. The water was also tapped by HP for their sauce mixes. I used to go to both factories as an apprentice and then as a fitter on the lifts.

Hi,

M & B also had an artesian well, in fact their telegraphic address
was 'Artesian Birmingham'. R Whites soft drinks in Western Road
also had one, but it went out of use in the 1960's due I think to
pollution and the high maintenance costs. I wonder how many other
drinks businesses also had one?

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Alan
I have got to say you have just beatn me to the Dares Advertisment the excact one
I notice you never put any info on it as i can only presume you have taken the picture from the railway bridge
but never or less its great that you have got it on for members and the forum
I myself have taken it from the book which includes there advertisments ,
but i have no need to reprint the cartoon charactors as we have got
but mayy they can add more of it to yours at the bottom of your picture
Here is what it says ;
W,Dare,s South end Brewery, Belgrave road was between gooch street and frank st,
This advertisement card would be left with customers for theem to order supplies when necesssary,
The Quote price on the front 12 /- per dozen was according to a rubber - stamped message on the back of the card...
Subject to increaserd prices due to war tax

POST CARD DEZIGNED AND PRINTED BY David Allen of John bright street birmingham

Hello Allan, I never took any of those pics, they are from the Birmingham Images of the Birmingham Library collection.
That is why I only posted links rather than an actual photo. Don't like tre:Dading on others toes!

Back