• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

img176.jpg
The corner of Bradford Street and Rea Street in 1902, and the pub is The Anchor Inn.

HI PHIL ;
Thats a great shot of the pub i myself use the motorway qiute often ; but i must admit i never go that way up the old lich;
we used to play around that pub and drank in it ; and when i worked at the delta in arglie st way back in the sixty years
but if my memory serves me correctly i thought one of our guys on the forum discovered it as empty and he took pics of i
that must have been about three years ago i am sure
thanks again phill for putting these good old pubs up best wishes astonian alan ;;;;;;;

img246.jpg
An M&B house, Stratford Road Hall Green. it is The Bull's Head about 1925.

hi lynn;
hope you are well; ? .
many thanks for that info; i have not travelled that way in years ; whilst i have got you on line; would you have or remember the aramarder
pub ; on the lichfield rd and the junction facing tyburn rd on the island where the spaggetie motor way his
is was a biggish pub they built but later in time they demoolished for the alteration of the building of the motor way
years after it bacame the ship its up on a hill ; lynn ;i have just had a memory block as i started to write ;
it was the next pub built after the ressovoir on the oppersite side by gravel y hill
i am sure phill will remember if you cannot think of it but i dare say i will think of the other rd of it onthe approch ;
take care alan ;; astonian

The Armada still stands opposite Salford Circus.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/56069/

Good morning bev;
many thanks for the reply and for the information you havegiven to me and the forum
its nice to know that its still standing after all these years ; i would and hope the clientle as changed as to what it was from years ago;
have a nice day best wishes astonian;;;;;

In the past two days I have discovered my great grandfather was landlord of the Old Sun Inn, Coleshill Street, Sutton Coldfield, before moving the The British Oak pub in Highgate. His father, my great great grandfather was landlord of the Duke Inn, Duke Street, Sutton Coldfield, which has remained much as it was in his time.

img363.jpg It is getting increasingly difficult to be sure what has or has not been previously posted on this thread, but I will carry on because I still have a few pictures. If I repeat a previous post and it turns out to be exactly the same pub, from the same angle, I will ask for it to be removed.

This is The Stag & Pheasant and it is/was on Gosta green. The photo was taken in 1930.

hi stich;
there should be another one in the old gosta green and that was the king edward it was amongest the pareade of shops that was there ;
second thought it may havebeen the cavielier way back in the days gone bye at least up until the fiftys was when i was last int it
astonian

Hello My old mate, I am waiting to come across that one as I progress on my trawl through a lifetimes collection of papers, pamphlets, leaflets, books and my own family photo's. It is a slow and long job because a large briefcase can hold months of mooching and ferreting. I keep leaving my crafwork for a few minutes every hour or so to sort a few more and post one or two. I will post the photo's of any and all old pubs I come across.
stitcher

img365.jpg
This is The Red Lion on Soho Road Handsworth, I do not know the date of this photo but there has been a pub on this site since 1829.

there is still a red lion pub on that site..the original one in stitchers pic was rebuilt in 1893 to the designs of james and lister lea who also designed the bartons arms pub..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
img374.jpg
1870, Lady Pool Road junction with Stratford Road, note in those days Lady Pool was two words as opposed to it being one word nowadays. The pub was The Angel Inn.

img380.jpg
Around 1900 in Lower Stirchley Street Stirchley. The Three Horseshoes Inn.

img381.jpg
Sand Street and Weaman Street junction near to Snow Hill. The year is 1945 and the pub is the Green Man.

HI stich
another one for you ; the white heart in paradise street henry kimberly ;arrested in this pub for murder and he was the first person to be hung in a victorian prison
and the bell pub in bristol street where elie richards was arrested there ; he was arrested for a murder and he was one of the 400
people to be hanged by albert pierre point ;
stitch ; keep them coming mate ; great alan astonian

viv you are spot on i would say as we can just see the spire of st chads in your pic..to be honest i think i may have heard of weaman st but not sand st...amazing and i know which view i would prefer to see

Back