• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Lyn. The blocks were still there when I visited whilst coming to the Stags Head meet 2 years ago.

sidwho. Lyn (Astoness) is the person to thank for the majority of the pics here. She really is a marvel, and nothing is too much trouble for her. Lovely to see the sights again isnt it ?

img199.jpg
37-39 New John Street West
img197.jpg
Alma Street 1960.

img196.jpg
Assylum Road 1960.

img198.jpg
This court was next to 58. New John Street West.

img239.jpg
This establishment was next to the River Rea on Deritend/Digbeth in 1935.

How times change we had a wholesale smokers market in Cambridge once "Bacons" some 19th C poet even wrote an ode to "Wonderful Bacons Smoking Emporium" .
PAUL

I'm afraid I don't know who the artist was. The painting comes from a postcard bought from Blakesley Hall, which I have since lost.

I've just spent the morning journeying through the old "Old street pics" thread, if you get my drift. Well I was so delighted to find that Frothblower had posted 2 brilliant youtube clips on that old thread of the photos (mostly originally posted by Lyn/Astoness). Hope Froth doesn't mind me re-posting the links here (as he made the videos). I was so chuffed to come across them as they show all was not lost. I also notice members like Phil, mikejee and stars have re - posted lost images on there too. Not an easy task as there are 44 pages on that thread. Thanks all and here's your opportunity to take another look at and enjoy Froth's great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nExaCmfu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpojhyyxXcM

From the original "Old street pics" thread
560791fc-ecaa-e56d.jpg

560791fc-ecbc-fa52.jpg

coventry road showing the yardley radio stores dated 1938

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
new st 1939..just one solitary man standing on the left..wonder what hes thinking..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
what a wonderful, atmospheric photo for the time, (1939) "Should be titled just before all the lights went out"!!!
paul

Yes agree Paul and Dek. Amazing atmosphere, especially as you say with WWII about to start. That post box must have been removed at some time. The oval enamel sign on top of it would have pointed to the nearest PO - looks like towards Stephenson Place. Maybe there was one in the Exchange. The Bank on the cormer of the Exchange Building isn't yet Midland as it's across the road still. Wonder which bank it was .... somethong Ltd. Very interesting view of New Street Lyn. Viv.

i also like this one...has an earie silence to it..think i may have the exact date of it somewhere..will take a look tomorrow and post if i can find it...
paul you are right that would be the perfect title for this pic....

lyn

Last edited:
Viv
Barcleys Bank Ltd was at no 131 , which seems to be on the corner
Mossg
The Strand advert is supposed to be an excellent example of how not to advertise a product, as it implied that people who smoked it had no friends, and ,as a result , was a bit of a flop

Thanks Mike. I expect Barclays chose to locate in the Exchange building to capitalise on all the potential trade transactions. However, I bet the Midland were slightly miffed! There's a lot of street furniture on that corner too, all those bollards and traffic lights. There're railings around Midland Bank too, but not for much longer. Would the railings and bollards have been removed as part of the war effort I wonder. Viv.

Wow! Good one Lyn. Thanks for posting the picture of Union Passage with The Cabin. I have been wanting a picture of this for ages and didn't think I would ever see one. I used to go to The Cabin a lot in the late 50s/early 60s but couldn't remember it or what it looked like. I wonder if anyone has a more up-to-date photo of The Cabin.

Judy

hi judy sorry its a bit dark though...ive just posted it under the passageways and alleys thread too...glad you like it...

lyn

Have you got a picture of Scotcher & Sons. They sold musical instruments/sheet paper Corportation Street - taken before it was bulldozed. It stood roughly where Rackhams/House of Fraser is today?

Like the photo Lyn. It must be the bottom end of Union Passage which opens out onto New Street. I'm sure I also used to go in the Cabin, the name's familiar but not the view of it. Maybe the frontage changed, or maybe there was another entrance? Just can't remember. Viv.

If the later Cabin is built on the same site as the one shown in this wonderful picture,it must be where Priory Passage is now.You know the one leading to Priory Square market (Oasis market) Hope this makes sense. Moss

Where was Union Passage? I think this photograph is quite amazing, it is just the sort of view I wish Birmingham still had. Is Union Passage the one from Union Street to New Street?

Mossg - I posted something about the passage that lead into that market - I cannot remember now, but it was a street, I think, not a passage. I got it from a book, but it will take me a while to find out where it was.

I think the Rothmans sign over the shop on the corner of Corporation Street was still there in the 1960's. We used to go into town on Sunday nights and buy roast chestnuts from the man on the corner of Stephenson Place.

Back