• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

I have often thought about that myself, also where did all the younger looking spectators come from because the only time I was ever in the city centre I was with my mother.

Great photo, maybe back then children were given more freedom, Birmingham was much smaller then, they look like maybe they work,

HI Guys;
i was just wondering whether or not any of our member s ever recall a eating house called FANNY,S ON SNOWHILL ring way
it was a victorian style eating house and it had six all bar for a drink ;
and savour the epicurean delights of yesteryear it was birminghams own ;
i now one of my uncles had a coffee house next to the jewerlers and next to the station in the forty and fiftys , he was a george jelf was the brother to my grand father ernest ;whom had park lane ; best wishes to every body for 2012 ;; Astonian

img049.jpg

This one is looking down on the site that is being cleared to make way for the Library in 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoroughly enjoyed that clip bob. It's the Birmingham I remember so well. Seems incredible that the scenes around the Bullring show it as relatively new, but it's since been swept away and largely re-developed again in the space forty+ years. The only constant feature being St. Martins Church. Nice piece of footage. Thanks. Viv.

img021.jpg

Another lovely photo from 1957. What an elegant looking building our Town Hall is.
stitcher

This one is looking down on the site that is being cleared to make way for the Library in 1976.

You would not believe it was self-inflicted, looks more like it had been bombed by the Germans during the war.

Not sure how anyone could do that to their own city.

Hello davidfowler, I am glad you like it and it is my pleasure to post these pictures.

Hello also to guilbert53, I must agree with you, it does look like a bombed site.

Hello to Barr_Beacon, thanks for pointing out that error, I have edited it to the correct date, 1967.

img022~0.jpg

Another lovely old office building on the corner of Easy Row and Broad Street, again I have no other details about the picture.

Broad Street Chambers, 1929

Broad Street, Birmingham. Well known today for being somewhere to go for entertainment, nightclubs, hotels, eating and drinking. It was a little different in the 1920s. In 1929, Broad Street was known more for insurance companies, typewriter repairs, tailors and charitable organisations.

The photograph shows the site, today, of Alpha Tower and the old Central TV studios. The land around the Hall of Memory was then in an unfinished state. The foundation stone of the Hall of Memory itself was laid by The Prince of Wales in June 1923.

Baskerville House was to stand, later, behind the photographer location. It hadn't yet become part of the proposed Civic Centre, which was the subject of an architectural competition launched in 1935 to design the Council and Civic offices for Birmingham.

The buildings on the corner of Broad Street and Easy Row were a collection of agencies and small shops of varying trades, a little like the Bull Ring shopping centre of the day. The buildings were known collectively as the Broad Street Chambers. This consisted of the City Chambers at numbers 318 & 319, the Holborn Chambers at number 321, the Grosvenor Chambers at number 324 and the Temple Chambers at number 325. Each set of Chambers contained offices and shops, with businesses as diverse as Estate Agents, Motor Car Agents, Masons, Tailors and Tobacconists, and many others.

One of Birmingham's cinemas at the time, the Gaumont, was just around the corner, on Easy Row, which is to the left of the image. The Central Goods Station was a little further down the road, on Suffolk Street, next to Holliday Street.

Thanks for that interesting input carolina. I have said before that my picture carry little or no information with them.
stitcher

This photo showing the Oyster Rooms is somewhere else on the forum - I'll find it eventually with a 'super search' and put a link to it.
The people in it fascinate me, a busy scene. The well dressed lady hurrying past the door - is that her boss in front and she's trying to catch up?
A lady further down New Street, nice dress and a sunshade, and I love those nice lamposts.

NewStreet.jpg

Found the previous post the photo was in - I searched for an oyster ! The photo is Here

img028~0.jpg

I am quite sure I posted this photo a long time ago but I can not locate it. I have no information with it at all so we need someone who
will tell us all about it.
stitcher

Well on the right we have the Museum with the clock cut off in it,s prime in front of us we have the bridge that links the two parts of the Museum together we are in Edmund St not far from the Fountain. Dek

Hello carolina, I do occasionally look at that but I am too busy to get really interested in anything just now. I have posted several times that I am heavily involved with my collection of music gathered over the last 50 years and sorting out all my clutter as well as sewing a large Xstitch which is really tedious in small patches. So I have my headphones on whilst sewing and when I need a break after a short time, I sort through a few pictures and papers, then I trash what is no good and post on the forum what I think others might be interested in.
stitcher.

Back