• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

thought we had a thread for park lane in aston..been through 20 pages and i cant find one...maybe i am thinking of park road...

park lane aston looking towards newtown row...dated 1969

img565.jpg
From what i remember thats a picture of Park Lane looking towards Aston Cross....Brenda

HI MWONJM
On the thread of park lane there was a rake of pages on it and the aston cross about four years ago before postie ;jim ;
took over and i beleive jimdid put some pics of it in pics form as well
my grand parents the jelfs owned the shops on the cross and a couple of chipies and the coffee houses and his brothers
latham apeared in the mid to late fifties and prior to that from many years back it was owned by the jelfs whom sold it to latham ;
i can recal the day they set lathams up and started decorating bussines
it was owned orininaly by george jelfs father ; whom interned sold it to his son arther whom in terned sold it to william jelf ; whom never had the bussiness accament to bussines whomthen sold it to my grand father ernest jelf; whom also had the coffee shop across on the park lane
and the two chipies across the lights facing the billard hall he sold the chippie directly next door to the billard hall to little guy called cyril
and he kept the other one facing along next door was the coffee house and at the rear of these shops was a housewhom he rented it out to the mack family and there was a two storey ware housefull of provisins which was for all there stocks for all there shops of coffee house arond brum
which goes back to there fathers days of starting up the shops charles had two booking offices one in alma street along with his coffee house the one with steamed up windows as people spoke about and he oherone coffee shop and booking office on the cornerof holly lane and tyburn rd
that wasthere first premises when there father moved up to brum from brettonford eversham way back in the thirtys
and he brought a special brick with himfroman brick making company in brettofordin the 1800s right up until aunty ivy died in the eightys
and when she dieda lot of things happenend but i will say before knocking down the coffee shop there was the special brick that wasplaced within the frontage of the shop and i have first handinfo; that before demolition commenced they care fully removedthe brick and took it away and put it some place of history
but as most of the older generation know the jelfs had all there coffee shops across the city ; from one end to anothe end of the city in the city centre as wel they had thirty three shops all in total in the burlingtomn arrcade , andon the snow hill front colmore row and in aston and hockley quarters
after there father died number one newcannal street was there head base there home and the bed and breakfast for transporters to the bull ring
next to the hide and skin and typoo tea the young george jelf is still around he his in is ninetys he had alot of involvemt with in the city of birmingham
and he also stood for canidate for small heath for many years i beleive at one time he worked for lucas.s and his father george senir was also a big name with in the city ; you can find moe about him on google if you type in there names and really see what they stood fot and it was certaily more than tea;
i sincerely opolgise if i have gone on rattling the way i did but that surposely was to answer about latham;
i was born along the rd from the cross at 5/92 lichfield rd at the end of the ansells brewery building and next to theold widdows pub ;
i remember the old back teraces on the old lichfield rd they knocked down those little shops on the front and he court yards that was there before any of ansells was built therelong frontage on lichfield rd and also there new entrance in the bottom halfof the drivers entrance and recall they brought in there oil
generators and bulding therenew style heating for the whol complex best wishes astonian

Hi all glad to be back on the forum thanks to Jean's help. I agree with Brenda that the photo Lyn posted shows Park Lane Aston looking towards Aston Cross. On the front right of the photo is the corner of Thomas Street and that plot was bombed in the war and a small petrol station was put on there. I can't remember the date Lathams opened but seem to think it was early to mid 1950s. After Lathams closed it was used as a car saleroom for a time.

Hi ray ;
i think where you said the pic was taken in park lane if you are correct and i am not sure it was the pub
they was taking the pic towards the cross but if it was then that pub was called the black horse and not the royal george
as that was on the cross next top hp sauce ; yes there was another one a little one thats escaped my mind but it was next door to old wrensons te grocers and down on the right hand of the pic was a vechicle and that was where my grand parents bussiness was three in a line one coffee shop and a chippie and the drive to the rear premises of jelfs grocery hire and banqueting services
they provided by contract the cateruring and food services to all the city council house meeting and partis and also the old gpo in hill street offices what ever they had there is a simlar pic ;to this with a mini van park out side the shopsloading up this was was changied when our mystry person whom knows who they are hacked all the pics of our valuabe sight ; for what reasons i do not know
but eventualythis will come to light one day in the not so distance to come
it was either fifty five or fifty six when lathams bought from grand father he sold the main quartes in new cannal street nd moved back to park lane back to his rootes along with the one lathams bought from him also another one along the lichfield rd by the vinepub all with about 12 months apart with his lady companion ; this was the shop that flower girl said she grew up in
along time ago when she said it was bought from ivy his sster but thats not the case she short changed her brother my grand father
we lived along the rd from both premises and he came along and told my mother what he had done and that he had sold the lichfield rd to a friend of the family and he said no more about it because him and his sister fell out over it and never spokein forty years
to each other he still had the catering bussiness up to the 1970s when he died
if you look t the picture on the right hand side the first shop was a paper shop
and where you see a figure of a lady on the rd thats where our other forum member wattons parents had there shop and
when grand dad sold the business wattons parents opened it up as a coffee shop for the atv stars to come and get a sandwiches ;
best wishes as always astonian

I thought I knew Aston Cross well (! worked round the corner in Rocky Lane at Hercules Cycles mid 40's) and I don't remember a Lathams ? many years later in the 60's when I was married my Wife shopped at a Lathams but it was in Nechells Park Rd also I did frequent a pub on Aston Cross but it was called the Golden Cross, where was the Royal George ? Eric Just remembered, I beleive there was a pub corner of tower Rd/ Park Rd perhaps that was the Royal George

Last edited:
Hi cookie
lathams moved from there small shop on nechells park rd up to the cross and the george was the onenext to hp sauce lower tower rd when you cross the lichfield from the george you walked to the crossing around the corner of ansells exits drive in and crossed over to hercule,s best wishes astonian

Thanks Asonian, my late Wife would have probably known for she worked at George Masons for some years around the late 40's and early 50s till we went abroard in1953. My Wife was also born in Lichfield Rd Rd in a court caledl Sunny Side Terrace in January 1928 (shw would have been 84 tomorrow) Eric

Last edited:
hi cookie
nice to hear from you can you aked your good ladt would she remember a lady called mrs cowell she worked there in the fiftys
at masons ; take care best wishes alan

Alan,
I remember Jelfs on the Cross,went in there often for my lunch.
On the corner of Thomas St.and Park Lane was the Royal Albert,it was an Ansells house.
As you said the Royal George was on the corner of Park Rd.and Tower Rd.that was an M & B.pub.

Back