• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old brum mag pics..

I was far too posh to live in a Back to Back house, because I was born and bred in Erdington. ( tongue in cheek )
I do remember staying with my big sister on some weekends with her 4 children in Communication Row near Broad street in Town. It was an adventure for me with a playground next door as well. When the trains come past on the other side of the tall wall, it covered everything with smoke and steam, couldn't see you hand in front of you face, great fun. Even loved using the outside toilet, seeing the way with a candle.But remember I was only a kid and it was weekends only.

you could be right paul...i have lots of pics and posted them on the forum where the street and court nos were painted or chalked on the walls etc..brearley st and tower st threads spring to mind..either way and no matter how upsetting and thought provoking they are this is a history forum and the images are most important..ive read many books on the awful conditions of years back but we do need the images to really bring it home and give us a true understanding..my main interest lies in the social history of birmingham as it relates the human element and as i have said many times before i have the highest admiration for those who lived through the hardships...if we think living in the 1900s was bad just imagine what the 18 and 1700s was like...
lyn

off topic on me own thread here folk lol..ive had this pic of baxters yard for years although not in birmingham i find it a fascinating pic..

baxtersyard.jpg

I was far too posh to live in a Back to Back house, because I was born and bred in Erdington. ( tongue in cheek )
I do remember staying with my big sister on some weekends with her 4 children in Communication Row near Broad street in Town. It was an adventure for me with a playground next door as well. When the trains come past on the other side of the tall wall, it covered everything with smoke and steam, couldn't see you hand in front of you face, great fun. Even loved using the outside toilet, seeing the way with a candle.But remember I was only a kid and it was weekends only.
Blimey, those were old houses. My ancestors were living in Communication Row in 1841!

I also had family 9/45 Commincation Row in the 1871 census. I am looking for pictures of Devonshire Street, Sarah Street and Richmond Terrace, Bridge Street West if anyone has got any. Thanks

Read the top of the page, you will see that older photographers arent there, because the site was hacked. If there is a particular one you need, I am sure if you ask nicely someone will put it back again for you.

Jojo - no you are not. Sometimes we dont always read whats right under our noses - lol. Hope you find what photos you are looking for. Regards Carol

Which Thumbnails Munch? If Pre the period (Circa November 2011) the forum was 'Hacked' then they are lost unless re-posted. The Hacking is mentioned a few posts back by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between Lyn and myself we have managed to replace most of the images on this thread, the odd one or two we haven't I have marked "Still looking for replacement image" So if anybody has got one that might fill the blank space please contact me.

birmingham meat market.
Hello Astoness. I've just looked at your photo of the meat market. I believe that the road running off to the left may be the side of the meat market that had carved bulls heads on the side of the building. Can you offer any information regarding these bulls head carvings (Carved in stone or cast concret I believe). I've been trying to get some better pics for ages.
Phil.Copy-mod_bulls head.jpg

sorry phil no i dont have any info regarding the carved bulls heads but hopefully there will be other members who can help

lyn

Back