• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Going the other way and into town, did the 29 terminate in town or did go on somewhere else after that? And I've often wondered what was the difference between the 29 and the 29A. Viv

The southern terminus of the 29 was in Highfield Road, Hall Green - not far from Yardley Wood railway Station I believe. The 29A terminated at Baldwins Lane. Hall Green. There is a great pic somewhere on this web site showing two buses at the Baldwins Lane terminal and the lovely art deco style public house (The Baldwin, M&B) in the background. Seeing photographs of the 1960's era, after the whole marrass of WMPTE had come about, shews that differing passenger patterns caused many alternative endings to the routes by which time the routes were now numbered 90 and 92.

Hi Stitch - I can remember looking at that bomb case but could not remember it's location. I can remember seeing a big thermometer thing in the city showing how much had been saved towards some war effort fund. Looking again at your photo in #400, I wonder what that tall building was on the skyline ?
oldmohawk

Don,t remember a bomb case but I seem to recollect an old mine outside the Market Hall. Dek

Hello shortie, I did mean The Market Hall sorry about that.
Hello Radiorails, thanks for clearing that up.
stitcher.

The bomb was outside the market hall Shortie. There was a picture of it on here. You raise a point though; I always thought that the market hall was the fish market...they sold fish in there and other sea food. I think, though, that the fish market was across the lane ..down the hill, next door and I was never in there either. Anyway the 1890 OS shows the fish market next door.

I too remember all the fish on slabs with water trickling down and around the fish and into the metal gratings . That is where mom bought us cockles, whelks, penny winkles and if we were really lucky, a few crab claws albeit small ones. If I remeber correctly the bomb-case was near a corner on the right as we went in. Even with no roof on the place there was always a great odour of fresh fish.

I can remember the old mine in the Fish Market. It was painted red and used, I think, to collect money for war-wounded seamen.

These mines were in very many places; they were always used for charity collections. There many sited in the coastal towns in Devon and Cornwall for instance but some have gone and others moved into less prominent positions.

bbb~2.jpeg

New Street in 1952, looking at the entrance to Piccadilly Arcade.

dds.jpeg

Station Street in 1946, Mike or Lloyd will know more about the three buses.

Sure Trevor. On the right a FEDD type double decker on the 144 service to Malvern via Bromsgrove, Droitwich and Worcester; on the Left an ON or DON class behind an IM class, both single deckers.
A very atmospheric view of Station Street's junction with Worcester Street, later buried under the Bull Ring Bus Station.

Thanks a million for that again Lloyd, unfortunately a lot of these pictures are in a bad way and it is taking a little time to get them good enough to post. I will do whatever I can and to improve the appearance of them and post as many as I can get to a reasonable standard.
I drove the 144 numerous times but of course we ran out of the bus station in those days.

They look like Midland Red buses and I think there's a Midland Red office on the right. Would this have been some sort of terminus? Viv

1950 Corporation Street

Many thanks for this photo... My school.. Pitmans College was almost opposite the Midland Education. you can see the doorway with the PITMANS sign on the left hand side. Delighted.. Georgie

I first remember that Bomb (lord Mayors Charity Fund) on the BIG TOP SITE then in the old Market Hall in the Bull Ring (after it had it been bombed in the war)
Sorry if this has been said in other posts;0)

In the picture in Old Sq there are some hoardings with the companies name "Sheffields", my family worked for Sheffields who were bill posters but it looks like they may have been into other things when you look at this picture. Does anyone have any info on the company please?.

Don't know exactly when the Old Square photo was taken, but in 1888 William L.Sheffield was a billposter at 9 Upper Priory, only just round the corner from the site. by 1895, however the firm was Sheffield's Ltd, bill posters (William Lemon Sheffield managing director), Barwick St. By 1900 they were stioll listed as bill posters, but had moved to Smethwick. Maybe the Sheffield posters in th ephoto were advertisments to show that the space was available for posting

img031~0.jpg

What a beautiful photo this is, you can see St. Philip's Cathedral and Colmore Row in 1930.

Nice one Stich, what a marvalouse picture and shows what iconic buildings we had then throughout our City Centre. The ones that have been left behind are still great to see and appreciate, thanks mate any more treasures?

Hello Bob, I am de-cluttering while the non growing season for the garden is passing by. I have far too many pictures and bits of paper that I have collected over the years. I do not know if you can get them off Coppermine but you are welcome to whatever you want. I will do my best to post as many as possible before the spring is here again.
stitcher

I wonder where that shot was taken from in 1930. Would it be from the air; I can't recall a building that high.

Last edited:
Fantastic photo stitch I think it would have been taken from the air. I have seen a couple in Central Library they have a lovely one of Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries taken from the air.

I have no idea Rupert but it an interesting point.

Great photo and a lot of the buildings still standing, which is even better.
Given the date and what appears to be a fairly low altitude maybe it would have been taken from an airship?

Yes Rupert that's strange isn't it? They all seem to be scowling at the camera. Maybe the rope tying trick didn't quite live up to expectations! Viv.

Back