• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

I mentioned in post #197 I had never seen a 1940's/1950's photo of the Perry Beeches Pub and was hoping that one would appear - I have never been able to find one and maybe it was never photographed before it ceased to be an Ansells Pub. I can remember as a youngster watching men on the Beeches Estate setting off in the evenings for the pub and watching them come back rather unsteadily later in the night. It was said that 'regulars' had their 'own chairs' in the lounge and woe betide any stranger who made the mistake of sitting in them....:friendly_wink:

Thanks Jennyann - That is the pub but much later than the time I was looking for. I thought Sticher had found it in post #103, it was the right time, but wrong pub, the photo was of another Beeches Pub in Northfield.
oldmohawk.

I originally posted this photo under the heading Lea Village Tavern where my great aunt was licencee in the 1930's, although I was not certain of the true identity. However a number of members posted their own pics of the Lea Village Tavern which had many similar features to my photo but were not exactly identical. Alas most of those pics were lost when the site was hacked so I'm re-posting it here in the hope someone will recognise it.

Unidentified_Pub.jpg

Lyn

I think you will find that the Beeches you have posted is the one in Northfield again, I think oldMohawk is after a copy of the one in Perry Barr.

Phil

oops..sorry oldmohawk will keep searching...thanks phil for pointing that out..
lyn

img007.jpg

Not really an old pub but it was built in the 60s so it's not a new one. Very popular for a few years after the opening but it needed a refurb in the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo's of the black horse
38064_1398151149602_1106957590_31097996_753053_n.jpg
38334_144674355548817_141612979188288_435911_7370025_n.jpg
263283_268369483179303_141612979188288_1290131_2076824_n.jpg

Thanks for posting that Elizabeth, OldMowhawk was wondering what sort of state it is in nowadays and I was going to take a phto but you have saved me the task now.
stitcher.

It was refurbished a couple of years ago, it is now a Weatherspoons pub, which I think means it has a restaurant,

When I was about 19 I went to a stag-night at The Black Horse. It was snowing hard and freezing cold. When we staggered out at closing-time there were no buses running and there were cars skidding all over the place. Me and another idiot walked the whole way into town, and I eventually managed to get a lift on a delivery lorry to where I lived in Perry Barr. My parents didn't speak to me for about two years.
I've never been in The Black Horse since.

Another good pub that has been gone for a good few years now. The Corner public house on the corner of Carrs Lane and Moor St.

Phil

City Corner PH Moor St - Carrs Lane.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Liz for the photos in post #254. It's nice to see the Black Horse pub still looks good.
oldmohawk

It seems that in the 1930's, the breweries decided to build large pubs on many of the new estates around Birmingham. They built in the style of Manor Houses or Mock Tudor. I seem to remember a 'Tudor' looking one called the Golden Hind on the Kingstanding Rd, and streetview shows it still there looking pretty much as I remember it. Another one I remember (except it's name) was on the Chester Rd near New Oscott, I have looked on streetview but cannot see a name.
One small old pub I remember from childhood was the Old Horns on the Queslett Rd. I had my first ever meeting with Americans in the garden of that pub, they were GI's from the Pheasey Base. I posted a couple of photos in the link below...
oldmohawk
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33790&p=354652#post354652

It seems that in the 1930's, the breweries decided to build large pubs on many of the new estates around Birmingham. They built in the style of Manor Houses or Mock Tudor. I seem to remember a 'Tudor' looking one called the Golden Hind on the Kingstanding Rd, and streetview shows it still there looking pretty much as I remember it. Another one I remember (except it's name) was on the Chester Rd near New Oscott, I have looked on streetview but cannot see a name.
One small old pub I remember from childhood was the Old Horns on the Queslett Rd. I had my first ever meeting

with Americans in the garden of that pub, they were GI's from the Pheasey Base. I posted a couple of photos in the link below...
oldmohawk
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33790&p=354652#post354652

Old Mohawk to pubs in that area 1 The Beggars Bush,2 The New Oscott Tavern.There is also The Drakes Drum on the Aldridge Rd.Dek

Old Mohawk to pubs in that area 1 The Beggars Bush,2 The New Oscott Tavern.There is also The Drakes Drum on the Aldridge Rd.Dek
Hi Dek - Yes I remember the Drakes Drum. The parents of three brothers who raced in the Birmingham Mohawks Ice Racing Club took over the Drakes Drum in the 1960's after running the Shakespeare Pub on the corner of Lionel St/Summer Row for many years.
We held our committee meetings upstairs in the Shakespeare - nice wood furniture - nice wood panelling.
The Drakes Drum had a basement which we used as a gym, but somehow it did not have the 'atmosphere' of the old pub. I notice on 'streetview' that the Shakespeare was still there in 2008 - looking good.
oldmohawk

Some of those older larger public houses that we all knew, are they all still with us now?

1. The Towers Walsall Rd
2. The Beggars Bush Jockey Rd
3. Drakes Drum Aldrige Rd
4. The Golden Hind Kingstanding Rd
5. The Bagot Arms

Phil

Perry Barr Walsall Rd Towers.jpg

Oscott Beggars Bush Jockey Rd 1953 x .jpg

Oscott Aldrige Rd Drakes Drum.jpg

Golden Hind Kingstanding Rd.jpg

Bagot .jpg

Last edited:
Some of those older larger public houses that we all knew, are they all still with us now?

1. The Towers Walsall Rd
2. The Beggars Bush Jockey Rd
3. Drakes Drum Aldrige Rd
4. The Golden Hind Kingstanding Rd
5. The Bagot Arms

Phil
The Towers, Beggars Bush, Drakes Drum, and Golden Hind are still there, I'm not sure about the Bagot Arms.
There seem to be old photos of Mitchell & Butlers pubs but not many of Ansells pubs - did M&B have a publicity department ?
oldmohawk

img014.jpg

This is a close up of The Star Wine Vaults as in post 222. The picture is a few years later than the the first one and they now advertise Whiskey on the window.

Still following the large old pubs theme, here at Perry Barr two for the price of one. The old and new Boars Head.

Phil

Perry Barr New Boars Head .jpg Perry Barr Boars Head x .jpg

Last edited:
We also have the Church Tavern in Church Rd. Is there a photo of this one ? And of course The Tennis Court both of which are still trading.Dek

I always thought how interesting the (older) pubs around Kingstanding and Perry Barr were with their Dutch gables. I expect that was because of the Perry Hall architecture. Even Warren Farm had them too. Must have been in fashion. Seems such a shame that the Boars Head was replaced with the less interesting architecture. When I was yoinger I used to like going past the Golden Hind and to look out for the sign hanging outside. I thought it was a wonderful painting of the ship. Viv.

Back