• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

The Grange 1899 owned by Benjamin Stone ( now John Taylor memorial home)former MP for Birmingham East. Sutton Coldfield's first Lord Mayor and photographer.

grange.jpg

Mason road 1955.
You could stand in the same place today and see no difference. Only the gas lamp has gone.
And of course you can't see the roads for parked cars.

Thanks for this photo Froth..it spurred me on to locate my Pop's (r.i.p) Mothers home on Google maps..she lived with her parents at No.7.
Pops also spent time in The Cottage Homes.

I haven't seen this early photo of the Erdington Village Green before.
Not sure of the date,1887 has got to be close?

erd_green.jpg
plaque.jpg

Glenthorne 1896
Anyone who was brought up in Erdington will know this house. Had some happy and risky hours scrumping in the grounds of this place
house.jpg

Great photo Froth. The drivers in their pristine white coats make a good advertisement for the laundry! Viv.

I had a Saturday at job Boots in the High Street near what was, I think, Tescos, almost opposite the Music Box (i.e Six Ways end of the High Street). This was in about the early 70s. But I've never seen any photos of that stretch of the High Street. Boots was a lovely place to work. I don't think I've ever worked for such a caring place since. That might, of course, have been down to the branch - it was quite a small branch - rather than Boots the company. We used to have 'porters' in those days who'd carry all your shelf refills for you from the upstairs stockroom down into the shop. Lovely group of lads, mostly part-time firemen. Used to go and spend all my hard earned money ( Boots' staff were relatively well paid in those days) at Chelsea Girl near Six Ways Erdington. And there'd be the 17.5% staff discount on all makeup etc too. Came in very handy. Oh happy days! Viv.

I had a Saturday at job Boots in the High Street near what was, I think, Tescos, almost opposite the Music Box (i.e Six Ways end of the High Street). This was in about the early 70s. But I've never seen any photos of that stretch of the High Street. Boots was a lovely place to work. I don't think I've ever worked for such a caring place since. That might, of course, have been down to the branch - it was quite a small branch - rather than Boots the company. We used to have 'porters' in those days who'd carry all your shelf refills for you from the upstairs stockroom down into the shop. Lovely group of lads, mostly part-time firemen. Used to go and spend all my hard earned money ( Boots' staff were relatively well paid in those days) at Chelsea Girl near Six Ways Erdington. And there'd be the 17.5% staff discount on all makeup etc too. Came in very handy. Oh happy days! Viv.

That's funny I put a post on here through my phone and I can't see it.
I worked for Boots about 14 years ago at their warehouse on Holly lane. I was made redundant when they closed the warehouse. It was a shame because we were one big happy family. As you said Boots were good company to work for. I still have my staff discount card though and it's 22.5% now.

I have great memories of working for them too Froth. Even to this day I remember clearly one of the essential jobs was to clean every glass display shelf with surgical spirit and cotton wool. Not a very rewarding job but we all just got on with it and had fun doing it. We had real pride in our little shop! I doubt that the shop's still there now. Viv.

Back