• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

There was a lot less things to litter with, things then not being overpackaged. Many things, such as bottles, were returnable, others usable for some othe purpose or collectable by the rag & bone man for some recompence. You couldn't afford tpo throw away things that might have some value. I expect tobacco ash was still strewn around the place, but this wouldn't show on photos, and there was one thing that was littered not directly from humans, horse dung , amd this was probably quickly collected for peoples gardens

Stitcher
I hope all is well at the hospital and look forward to future postings.

Regards stars

stars, I may have misled you a little and I appologise for that. My appointment today was with the Hearing Aid clinic official name H.A.R.C. at the old Selly Oak Hospital, and it was to see how I am getting on with hearing aids which I have had for about two months. They asked questions and I answered them and they said everything was okey dokey and they do not wnt to see me again unless I need help. My next important appointment is with the Cardiologist at the Q.E. in February. Thanks forshowing concern.
stitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
kkj~0.jpeg

The Bull's Head Coventry Road, on the right just after the Swan Yardley as you travel towards the city. I am not sure of the date but the pub was open 1890s, the one and only time I have been in the place was a farewell evening for a friend on the eve of his departure from England for a new life in New Zealand. He was one of Eddie Fewtrells doormen and the place was full of doorstaff from the Brumbeat era.

bbb.jpeg

Deritend High Street about 1880-90, and the building is The Golden Lion.

dfr.jpeg

This is again the Golden Lion in its final resting place, Cannon Hill Park in the 70s. I admit it was four years ago when I last visited the park but the building did not look this well kept at that time.

bgt.jpeg

Not an old pub but it did keep them stocked up with beer. An M.& B. horse drawn drayin 1938.

either i read or heard some time back that it was under consideration to bring the golden lion back to digbeth..cant see it myself but it would be great if it happened..

If you are talking about the Bulls Head Coventry Rd Yardley, it was demolished some years back. The Old Bill & Bull was opened shortly after in the converted police station across the road.

Phil

phil is the bill and bull still open do you know...i meant to go in there many years back but never got round to it..

Lyn

To be honest, I don't know but I haven't heard of it closing so its probably still open. It's a good pub as far as I remember but not as good as the Old Bull. I found this photo of when the police station was up for sale in 1977, before the brewery bought it and converted it.

Phil

yardley old bill & bull 1977.JPG

Last edited:
nice pic phil...i remember it as a pub as the ex mother in law lived near...im sure i had a pic of it..will take a look after dinner.

33~1.jpeg

In Perry Barr with this one and it is A nice picture of The Beeches in it's early years, 1950.

44~0.jpeg

This one is The Apple Tree in Dudley Street and a handwritten line on the back says the year is 1898

This is how the Beeches looks today all lower windows fitted with Sitex panels and the whole area fenced off and plenty of concrete blocks to deter vehicles entering the site.
On the bright side, word is that it is going to receive a massive refurbishment during the next three months and will open late March as a Hungry Horse venue, whether the Beeches name will remain is not clear.
moto_0283~0.jpg

sss.jpeg

The Bristol Road Northfield and the pub is The Black Horse in the 1960s.

This is how the Beeches looks today
I used to play around that pub before the 1950's and can remember my Dad getting me to take an empty bottle to the out-door to have it filled with 'Nut Brown Ale'.
It's sad to see it boarded up. I've never heard of 'Hungry Horse' venues. I put an Image somewhere on the forum of the area being built in 1936, and maybe they had started on the pub.
oldmohawk

hi hump;
theres been a few hungry horses venues knocking about but not in brum
as you know the hunters moon is one now ; and what a great job they done there through out i was there with big family about two weeks ago the food wa next o none great service all round by management and the young staff they have got employed there out of all the faily the whole twenty of us my meal got lost
but after bringing it to the staff attentention on waiting for the one meal ; they opologised and gave me an extra piece of steak ;on my plate and a frre drink to compensate my waiting ; i recommend the horse at the old hunters great big venue postionioned in the right area for its cliental
but on the subject of the beeches i personal think its a no go on that one wrong area we wil be certainly going back there again ; astonian

on the subject of the beeches i personal think its a no go on that one wrong area we wil be certainly going back there again ; astonian

I think you are spot on there Astonian it will be a challenge for the new owners to change the image of the pub. It gained a bad reputation a few years back and that has stuck, maybe the new owners will drop the name and hopefully make a sucess of it but I think it's a big,big risk.

zzz.jpeg

The Five Ways Shopping Centre now stands where this old pub once stood.
It is The Anchor Inn on the corner of Tennant Street and Islington Row in 1965.

Hi all, hope you all had a good Christmas!
I've done some searching but have drawn a blank - does anyone have or know where I can see a photo of the Birmingham Arms in Dudley Rd? I've just found out from a military record that a rellie of mine was once the proprieter of this pub. It would have been about 1918, her name was Hellen Luckman, husband's name was Arthur (?) I think. Thanks in advance.

Barbinoz, If you go to google earth and search for Heath St South you will see a good image there, though it is now boarded up by the looks of it. Its on the corner of Dudley Rd/ Heath st south opposite Western Rd also opposite city hospital

Terry

Am I right in thinking in photo post 172 that The Crusader pub is in that position now? Or has that gone by now to maybe?

Barbinoz, If I come across a picture of The Birmingham Arms I will post it on this thread but as I have previously posted I am working my way through a large number of pictures of all aspects of old Birmingham. As I sort through them I am putting them in some sort of relevant order so I could not look specifically for one image but if I do have one I will come across it eventually.
stitcher.

The Birmingham Arms, Dudley Rd and did someone mention the Crusader?

Phil

Winson Green Birmingham Arms Dudley Rd.JPG

Five Ways Auchinleck square Crusader.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Phil, I remember both of these, especially The Birmingham Arms because it was a regular pick up place when I was on Golden Line private hire whose offic was on Holloway Head in the very late fifties and into the sixties.

xcx.jpeg

I have no information with this picture other than it was The Hollybush on The Hagley Road Quinton.
I have just been informed that this picture is from 1926 and when the dual carriageway was put in place the pub was demolished and re-built further down the road. That was also named the Hollybush until it was renamed Jeffersons which is still open today.

Back