• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wellhead Lane

I worked at Bill Switchgear in the fifties and yes, it was further up Aston Lane towards Birchfield Road.

hi patty
many thanks for the pic you sent me just to say my brother was not on the pic but he often discussed your father whom he knew
on the job very well;i beleive they was in the terms of a mucker as the scousers would say as they was often on each others shift
meaning friends ; have a great day ; did yu find the one in the bull ring outside the banna house yet with the jelf brotheres
i do not know which edition ofthe carls chinns but it was an early edition but i am despersately seeking it
i am contacting jaynews whom is related to me through the jelfs have a nice day alan ;; astonian ;

According to an old mate of mine who I happened by pure chance to see last night, the Tufnol factory was built during the war, as the stuff it made was a strategic material used for insulation amongst other things. I couldn't see it being built in the early 1970's according to Astonian, as the pong of the phenolic resin used at Tufnol was a feature of my boyhood and the area in general. My mother used to complain that it made the washing smell. Also, and I forgot to mention it, I drove down Aston Lane a while ago and Dek is right - it's only been part demolished. However, there was no stink of resin in the air, so I assume they've had to install proper extraction equipment at some point.

Can someone please remind me of the name of the pub in Franchise Street, and is it still there?

Finally, does anyone remember the Land Rover Axle works on the corner of Wellhead Lane and Aldridge Road? My dad installed some heat-treatment furnaces there in the 1950's. It's now student flats.

Big Gee

I have an idea that the pub was called the Wellhead Tavern (even though it was actually in Franchise Street!)
The father of a lad in my class at junior school (Birchfield Road) was the landlord there in the late 50's/ early 60's.

No idea if it's still there, I haven't been round those roads for years.

WELLHEAD1959.jpg

The house on the corner is where the coal man lived and his black horse was kept in the yard at the back of the house.

The house Jean refers to is on the corner of Franchise Street, and opposite is the main entrance to the Kynoch Works, where my grandfather drove a shunting engine for years, all through the First and Second World Wars until he retired in the late 1940's. Sometimes we'd stand on the railway bridge to watch the Pines Express as it passed. It's all changed now, of course, but what hasn't?

Big Gee when we passed a couple of weeks back I went back in time and remembered the good times I had there as a child. I too used to look over the bridge when the train went by. It used to run at the back of Nan's yard.

What lovely memories from your childhood.... Jean , I wonder if the horse was originaly white if it belonged to the coalman ( ha-ha)

hi jean and ray if you spot my post would it be possible for you both to repost the photos that we have lost from this thread please..i think i may have saved one of yours jean but i would have to check my files

many thanks

lyn

Ray i,m with Jean on this one i used to plat tennis every Sunday morning with my then partner the entrance to the sports grond was on the corner in Wellhead Lane you could see the best pitch from Holford Drive but the large football area was I.M.I. Two large electrical Switch gear companys that were located in wellhead Lane were Bill switch gear and Ellisons Switchgear. Dek

Ray i,m with Jean on this one i used to plat tennis every Sunday morning with my then partner the entrance to the sports grond was on the corner in Wellhead Lane you could see the best pitch from Holford Drive but the large football area was I.M.I. Two large electrical Switch gear companys that were located in wellhead Lane were Bill switch gear and Ellisons Switchgear. Dek
it was used by Birchfield rd school

I can't find a specific thread on the Wellhead pub so have put this on here. My grandad is the first man front row on the left Jean.
Hi Jean can’t find a photo, my first time on this site , i us to frequent the wellhead around 1965 . Rey Hacket was an old workmate and lived a couple of doors up from the pub.

hello ted and welcome...the site was hacked a few year back and we lost all of our images ...many have been reposted some have not...if jean spots your post hopefully she will repost her photo..in the meantime later on i will check my files to see if i saved it if i did i will be able to repost it for you

lyn

hello ted and welcome...the site was hacked a few year back and we lost all of our images ...many have been reposted some have not...if jean spots your post hopefully she will repost her photo..in the meantime later on i will check my files to see if i saved it if i did i will be able to repost it for you

lyn
Thank you Lyn , I have been searching factories for Bill switchgear I think it was in astonlane cant find it.

I have an idea that the pub was called the Wellhead Tavern (even though it was actually in Franchise Street!)
The father of a lad in my class at junior school (Birchfield Road) was the landlord there in the late 50's/ early 60's.

No idea if it's still there, I haven't been round those roads for years.
Still there I drank there around 1965

ted you need to use the search box at the top right of the page...just put in what you are searching for...we do have a thread for bill switchgear click on link below

Back