• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford - The Village

Another Albert Road

Image1_Albert_Rd_Stechford_1930.jpg

Stars

Stars, I've never seen either of these photos before - absolutely great, thanks very much.

The shop window is fascinating, I wish I could just pop in for a look around!

He was a policeman and ended up as an Inspector I think. He used to call in at the Richmond on his way home. He lived near Hay Mills nick at the time which is a pub now.

I remember Ray Parfitt. A big Welshman. He was an Inspector at Washwood Heath nick and lived in one of the Police houses just by Hay Mill Police Station. A very likeable bloke.

Does anyone remember Mc Knabbs [sp.] Ices opposite the swimming baths? I used to know the daughter of the family. I think I went to school with her. Although it was called Mc Knabbs, I think the family name was Pierce. Many years later I went to live in Station Road. I've often wondered what happened to her. And, of course, Station Road is noted for being the home of the singer Joan Armatrading. Somewhere between the Baths and YF Rd, IIRC.

Stars, more excellent pictures, thanks, the early ones are so clear and detailed, I am enjoying them all very much.

Hi
Glad you are enjoying them. I do put the photo into a program and do a bit of tweeking to improve the quality of the photo, time consuming
but worth it. I have more to come on Haymills and Yardley.

thanks Stars

Stars,
Thank you so much for the lovely pictures of Albert Road and Stechford village. As a schoolgirl in the early 60s I used to walk the length of Albert Road to catch the no. 14 bus from the Bulls Head to Tile Cross. Your pictures bring it all back to me.
Viv

Interesting pics of Corpus Christi church, Sister Sue. Nice detail to be seen. I have never been there: when I lived in the Midlands, and visited there when in in the RAF, my favourite place was of The Oratory. Apart from the Papal Visit to the Oratory last year, I have only seen the Oratory on television once, and that was American TV. It is a beautiful building of fond memory.

Now to a secular structure. I wonder about the history of that ancient building, in Albert Road, (Telco Pressings et al) shown in the post by Stars.

It looks early Victorian but sadly has had some 20th. century spoilations made to it; not surprising as it is an industrial structure. Nothing serious however and if the building is still in existence and hopefully has a preservation order upon it, maybe an expert restoration could be done - assuming that did not already happen.

I love the Oratory too Alan, so peaceful and dignified, went a couple of times with my great-aunts, their family were staunch catholics as was dad as a child, he was an altar boy at Corpus Christi. The pics were found in a box from my great aunts flat when they died some yaers ago, thought they may interest folks.
Sue

i remember mcnabbs ices.on station rd.and there depot in granbury avenue,i did some work for them.on there bedford.
albert rd.anyone got a pic of albany garage?

Thanks sistersue61 for such super pictures. Although I never went inside the old Corpus Christi church I used to walk past the outside frequently. They are much appreciated.

Can anyone remember Mrs Henns shop who sold toys @ cycles etc also Turners iron mongers, also Kings sweet shop and Coxs outdoor sold beer from kegs. they were in Albert road l will try and think of a few more

Hi, the Toy shop was called Henns a old lady used to have it, the off licence was called Coxs, also a the post office, and Turners ironmongers next door was Kings sweet shop i think there was paper shop accross the road I think they were there in 1949 I will ave to try and think of a few more, I was born in Stuarts road that was in and moved to redthorne grove.lived there for from 1954 to 1967 not sure of dates will have to check my house was in the square by the gully I had a lot of pals in redthorn there was Alan, Paddy, Edward, Mary I think I had better stop dont want to bore you

H,i yes I remember Mc Nabs the son was a friend of mine from Albert rd school they used to live at the top of Yardley fields rd in church road opposite the prefabs on the corner, Iwill have to try and find out about them

Winston, photos are always welcome, thanks for sharing them.
I particularly like the one showing the shops across the road from Stechford Station - I wonder what year that was.

When i was a school boy in the fifties i worked at J J Smith the greengrocers on Albert road at that time Doug Smith along with His mother I think owned it , I worked there along with my friends Jimmy Kelly and Roy Phillips we used to take the orders out on one of those bikes with the large basket at the front , During the school holidays we worked full time for £2.00 a week and were lucky to get that if doug Smith had a bad saturday trade, Not forgetting Vic who was employed there on demob from the army I think.

Today around that location is absolutely disgusting .

Just looked at the Stechford thread as suggested by Winston and enjoyed seeing more photos from Stars.
How interesting to see two almost identical shots, taken in different eras, of a group of shops on Station Road.
I remember them well from the 1960s. I sometimes got off the number 11 bus there on the way home from school in Erdington - a good bit of my pocket money was spent on sweets in the shop with the pram outside!

Im trying to trace a Frederick Jennings that Lived on Albert Road, Stetchford on behalf of a friend any info would be a great help thank in advance. Just to update this would have been around 1967, since posting we believe he is still living in Erdington, hopefully someone may know something thanks

Hi All, is there any possibility of reposting any of the missing photos prior to May 2011 please ? A big ask, but its such a shame that they are missing from this great thread.

There are 22 images related to Stechford and entitled the 'lost images' in the forum's Coppermine Image host ... two random ones I've pulled out below ... click to enlarge

Albert Rd Stechford 1952
Albert_Road%2C_Stechford%2C_1952.jpg

Albert Rd Stechford Holtoms Bakery vans
HoltomsBakeryVans.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

Wonderful site it needs re-building so much lost Ive got bits and bobs from my time
there from 1953 to well around 1985. When Nan died that was that. Full years at Albert Road
with Mr Cunningham Mr Partridge Head was a Mrs Evans I think. Star in the recorder group.
Ive a report some where. 2 further years at Alston Road Mr Frankum Mr Garret and Mr Ninnis.
Mr French was the Head. Escaped with 13+ to Handsworth Tech. 5 years at Kynochs !C!.
Use to catch the no 11 bottom of Yardley Fields lived top of Hill Rosemary Road (Yardley Arms)
DRs on Corner I remember. youth club at Yardley Church Friday Night dance wow.
Happy Days.

Mike Jenks

Back