• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various street pics

I reckon it would have been a busy mobile shop having three staff. It was amazing, in the days when things were more relaxed, how much could be loaded into and on to road vehicles. There were many mobile shops in Britain, particularly in rural areas, and were a great help to busy housewives and country workers.

In Devon, before widespread use of buses, a drovers cart carried people to market once or twice a week. The waggon was usually more than full and had to accommodate articles taken to market and also returned with items purchased there. It was often a tight squeeze - well built farm hands and bucksome ladies - but everyone knew everyone else. It was a great day out, usually, and the weekly chat (gossip) was caught up with. ;)

I never herd of these methods of transport in Warwickshire or Birmingham but in the latter part of the nineteenth and earlier part of the twentieth centuries I am sure they existed in the Midlands as well.

Hi Stars - I remember those but possibly from 'Ten Acres and Stirchley' Co-Op (TASCO). Yes Viv they were definitely mobile. The stuff just stayed up there until needed a they would not have got up to that much of a speed. Yes I am sure you got your Divi.

Hi
I do remember a grocery van used to come down our road in the 50s, and we used to save the money off coupons and give them to him in exchange for sweets.

happy days Stars

Hi to all
A few mixed ones to ponder over.

Image4_Coventry_Rd_Small_Heath.jpg

Image3_Highgate_Rd.jpg

Image2_Belgrave_Rd.jpg

Image1_The_Bristol_Rd_ABC_Cinerama.jpg

I don't know if this is an older photo of the same church lyn, as the one you posted

Image5_St_Saviour_s_Church.jpg

Regards Stars

Here are a few to look over, some are old some are new.

Image11_Aston_Cross_1973.jpg

Image10_Aston_Cross_Picture_House.jpg

Image9_Aston_Cross.jpg

Image8_The_Co_op_Park_lane_Aston_Cross.jpg

Please keep your memories and comments coming, i love reading them. Regards Stars

Stars I love the old
2_Lichfield_road.jpg
Aston Cross ones as my gt grandfather had the shop to the right of the clock in the late 1800s. It was No 2 Lichfield Road

Hi Corolina
What a nice photo, it makes a difference when you have family conections to a photo.

regards stars

great pic carlolina and as stars had said made even better for you with the family connection to that shop...

lyn

I don't know if this has been shown before, but i think it is a smashing photo.
and before you ask NO they are not related to me.

A street scene in 1898 Aston

Image28_A_Street_in_Aston_1898~0.jpg

Regards Stars

That is a lovely photo, they do look poor but the two little girls on the left are very well dressed they must have been the posh kids of the area.

stars pic on post 114 has been posted before so thanks for putting it back on...ive always wondered what street in aston is was...

Hi Lyn
yes it would be nice to know where it was. It is a shame but a lot of people do not think
to put any details on the back of the photo.

Stars

Stars, Just found these great pictures. Very sad to see the children without shoes. Times were very hard for some. The picture #116 is fascinating as every available space is taken up with goods like an Aladdins Cave..........

Anthea
It is a good photo. Thats when you were served as a person and you were always right.
well so they tell me.

Stars

Back