• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells

Image74-1.jpg

That's a good picture of washday training Stars. Love the miniature wringer. Looking at the shoes I'd guess it's about late 1950s. Vi.

stars if you look at the building to the left of the school well that is where the house training took place..our mom used to do it when she attended lozells girls school. and .i must have been in class when the school pic was taken...

lyn

I can vouch for that. I would meet my then girlfriend near there after school (I had started work but Mon and Wed afternoons were half day) and she had spent the afternoon learning how to be a good wife rather than occupying her silly girls brain on proper learning

Hi Lyn
So it's you i can see looking through the window, instead of doing you sums.

Stars[/QUOT

lol stars how did you know i hated maths....i was also very put out when i found out i could not take cse exam in history..had to take geography instead...

Hi just stumbled on this site. I was born at 216 Lozells Road in 1951 and left in 1973. Loved the pictures. I attended Lozells Street School I think for a year and then went to St Silas.

yes topsy they were all one family rene was arthurs wife, lilly hatten was freddies wife, freddie worked in the cutting shop with dereck freddie was a charge hand there and christine was there daughter, small blond girl worked in vic hipkiss shop, i have christine here with me now she said what year did yu work there
I can remember Derek Hatten, my father Bob Troman was a Foreman at Cheneys during the 60's early 70's.

RE: Pub oppostite the bell inn it was the lozells inn, my brother alan married the gaffers daughter.

Here we have the Old Farm Lozells on a 1918 postcard. Painted by W. Green, it says on the pc that it's a view of the farm in the 1850s and that by 1918 it was the site of a grocer, Mr. Adams. Hard to believe this view today, but a little historical addition to this thread. Will see if I can find out when the farm was demolished (obviously sometime before 1918). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361647498.509392.jpg

Lozells Road - looks about 1910s. The boys to the left seem more interested in the camera, the girl to the right seems more interested in the boys....... Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373574549.926092.jpg

Wife and I used to live on Lozells road behind a Jewelers opposite a Fish and Chip shop.
Cant remember exact address was about 1973.

Thanks Carolina, did a lot of zooming in and out on that one but couldn't work it out. Viv.

topsy that one of the skating rink is a new one to me...its says lozells road but i have no idea where...i think a kellys look up could be the answer as ive never even heard of on being on the lozells road but of course that does not mean to say there was not one....will be interested to find out where...

lyn

Would this be it by any chance? (From bgfl.org shows it within the triangle formed by Witton Road, Witton Lane and Trinity Road). The rink was part of a complex, shown just below the Holte Theatre. Carolina, it also mentions the Dovehouse Pool. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375005952.241228.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375005963.469964.jpg

Back