• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

Image16.jpg

Lovely pic Lyn, and brings back many memories for me. My mother worked at a pram factory on the left hand side of this pic. Is the pub on the right hand side the Shakespeare?

Probably the same one as named an area in Fosehill in Coventry - Paradise!
Mind - us "midlands" folk can take a joke!

mike ive heard that as well..something to do with the flow of water wasnt it...

bri it was by all accounts a rough and tumble street but then again there were others just like it..i believe that the birmingham arms pub was the best for a good old punch up...they would replace the windows one day and a couple of days later they were through again...lol..having said that from all i have read and been told from folk who lived down the lane there was also a massive community spirit..apart from fridays nights that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of repeating what has said before about this. I don't know how old the picture is...maybe early 1900 or so...the caps look old...I have seen worse circumstances around there. Anyway, the sad thing is that these abodes were around past mid century; when at the picture's, one would see a kitchen in a US house that would be larger than our whole house put together. Occupy Victoria Square would have recieved a rude reception in those days so perhaps things are a bit better now. I think that those folk would have traded community spirit for a private toilette or more than a single cold water tap from a lead pipe.

Last edited:
these shops were at the bottom of the lane..constitution hill end...it was at one time thought they may be saved but they were demolished a few years back...happy to say that at least i can say i went into a couple of shops down summer lane...

image.jpeg

tragic that this building is no longer there...

image.jpeg

stags head pub..summer lane...also showing st chads school on the right down brearley st..

image.jpeg

Back