• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells

thanks wend i thought it may be..

topsy what amazings pics...i myself have not seen either of them...the one where they are placing the bridge at samuels is cracking... then of course they put the clock in place... i also wonder if barrie could tell us if the houses in your pic of hunters road are from the bottom end (now demolished) which would be his end... if memory serves me the houses that remain at the top do not come straight out onto the pavement...athough i would have to have to pay a visit to confirm this....

brilliant..thanks for posting them...

lyn

Last edited:
I remember a shop in Lozells road called M & Js it was great in 1961 for a sixteen year old. I bought a red and black striped jacket from there and a pair of grey winkle picker shoes too. My Mom was amazed that I wanted my trousers to be tapered to 12 inches at the ankle.

About the same time as you 61 I got my first pair of winkle pickers but being younger I only had a paper round,so mom got them from the provident cheques and I paid the weekly instalment, same for my angora jumper, and I was sent home from school for having my school trousers tapered to 6" as well.
paul

Great memories guys, i have recorded my memories about this shop on earlier post. Keep em coming in. Max

Hubby, also bought a lot of clothes from M/Js in the mid 60s when we were courting. I was only at school at the time and my friend and i used to pay so much a week on a club card out of our pocket money to save for xmas/birthday prezzies for our boyfriends. I can,t remember if the shop was Nelson House or called Gordons.

Apologies if this has been posted before but its a cracking Photograph. Max

how many times did my mom tell me of the villa cross picture house from when she was a young girl, I tried to to picture it and the photo is truly cracking.

Lozells_Road_1960.jpg

Lozells Road in 1960

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember M & J Styles? on the Lozells road. It was a clothes shop in the early sixties that catered for the styles of the time. I remember buying a red and black striped casual jacket and a pair of grey pinkle picker shoes from there in 1961

In the sixties there used to be a couple of coffee bars not far from lozells ,on the Soho road. they were the Alzona and the Riviera. Does any one remember them?

Just refound this map. It is interesting to compare with recent maps. For instance you can follow Aston Brook (Bourn) past Aston Furnace (the bottom of Furnace lane). Potters Farm would be at Potters Hill; the Park Wall follows the route of Park lane. Lozells Lane would be Lozells Road. Bartons Close is there and would Birch Coppice be something to do with Birchfield Road. I was paticularly interested to see Great Hill which covers the area of Wheeler Street to Guildford Street.

georgianAston.jpg

lovely mike...would you say that paddington st was developed in the area of hall park...look like it to me....

lyn

Sorry, I don't think so Lyn. Look at the bottom and find Aston Furnace - that would be at the bottom of Furnace Lane. Aston Brook, labeled Bourne runs just above the words Aston Furnace and so Paddington Street would be about there just to the left below the Great Hill area

im not that good at directions mike lol....its just that i thought if you stand at the bottom of furnace lane paddington was just slightly to the right ...

lyn

ok mike....my sense of direction has never been good but i did think that if you stood at aston furnace paddington was just slightly to right..mind you i am going on this map...

1940s20map20of20asto1.gif

Back