• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

General Hospital Birmingham

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
Does anyone know if the Chapel at the old General Hospital survived when it was changed to the Children's Hospital,and if its still open to the public.I last saw it in the early 70's when I went to meetings at the Hospital

Colin

I went in the Chapel when my son was in the (new) Children's hospital about 6 1/2 years ago...
whether it's the old one retained I'm not sure.

What a nice picture , I was looking at this thread wondering if any photos of the general hospital were on the forum...I recall inside the hospital there was a lovely chapel and was wondering if any photos were available of the inside of the hospital???
Birmingham%20General%20Hospital.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I only just found this thread. That is a nice post card of the hospital. I worked there before I got married so brings back memories.:) Mo

Those views are more familiar to me, as I walked arose the forecourt every day that is in your 2nd picture or I would go through emergency if I used the parking lot. I actually remember the trams although I don't remember when they stopped running. :) Mo
(Photo replaced with what I think is the original)

general hospital2.jpg

Great photos. Looks like that might be the last tram leaving Steelhouse Laneon that one photo. I remember when my Mother was hospitalized in 1985 seeing the cornerstone in the front forecourt laid by Queen Victoria on my way through. I wish I had a pound for every time I passed the General Hospital on a bus or tram over the years. I was always fascinated by those open arches which eventually were filled in.
Had my broken wrist fixed there years ago.

Lower Steelhouse Lane was always interesting to pass through. The back of the Law Courts, The Police Station, The General Hospital, Pickford's corner and The Fire
Station over in Lancaster Place.

Jenny - Some people on here may have been born at Loveday Street, just across the road from the general. That was also a very old building I had to go over from time to time. The place I hated to go was the dental hospital that had those lifts like boxes and you had to leap in or out as you went past your floor.:shocked: Mo

Great pictures of the General Hospital - and grand architecture too. My husband spent a couple of weeks there in 1985/6 after an operation and I was working at Aston University at the time and was allowed time off to visit him during visiting hours.:)

Anthea:)

Hi Mo: When I was living in Brum for five months in 1972 I applied for a job at the Dental Hospital. I remember those lifts very well and I had never seen them before. I waited until no one was around before I jumped in the first time. Got the job but decided I didn't want to work there in the end.

Here's a photo of a similar lift. They have proved quite dangerous in some medical facilities I remember reading about.

Those lifts were in the university as well. Some students got into the habit of staying on them as they went over the top. Apparently there were large cogged wheels up there that the lifts ran on. Even before "Health & Safety" the authorities were not very happy
mike

what a good hospital,and staff,very kind,and,(was going to say patient):Di remember it well.the smell of CLEAN and antiseptic always linger'd in a/e

At Aston University where I worked there were lifts similar to your 'photo Jennyann, and they were know as Paternoster lifts. (a lift consisting of a series of linked doorless compartments moving continuously on a circular belt). They were especially dangerous when students decided to play tricks with them.:redface: The lifts were eventually sealed up.;)

Anthea:)

Mike I always wondered what happened if you went over the top, I assumed they stayed upright. Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like them. From what has been said here I guess there aren't any used now. We were used to using the stairs at the General as were not supposed to us the lifts. The one flight of stairs went past the lab and if they were short of blood you might get grabbed so sometimes it was worth getting caught in the lift. The matron was very strict. :rolleyes: Mo

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum so I hope its in the correct place. Trying to find the final resting place of a relation who died in the General Hospital Birmingham in 1915, the only referance to a general hospital I can find for this date is the 1st southern general hospital which appears to be military? would civilians have been admitted and treated here? also assuming no family were avalable to lay this chap to rest where would the hospital have sent him for burial? would Witton cemetery be a good starting place?. many thanks for any advise you can give

Hi fuseman

Welcome to the forum:)

Are you able to give the name of your relative as people on here may be able to search burial records for you?

Suzanne

Hi fuseman

Welcome to the forum:)

Are you able to give the name of your relative as people on here may be able to search burial records for you?

Suzanne

Hi and thanks for the reply, yes the person who's burial place I would like to find is, Thomas Winter who died in the general hospital Birmingham on 27th March 1915. once again thank you

fuseman, Welcome to the forum,
The Birmingham General Hospital was located on the corner of Steelhouse Lane and Loveday Street it is now the Birmingham Childrens Hospital. https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/BIRMINGHAMGENERALHOSPITAL.htm
The 1st Southern General Hospital https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/THEWARYEARS.htm was a group of hospital used for the treatment of WW1 wounded, so is it possible he may have been a casualty of war.
If he died as a war casualty there is a good chance he could be traced but as Suzanne says more information is required.

Colin

Hi fuseman

The only Thomas Winter I can find who died in 1915 is one born 1845 and buried in Coventry and BMD suggests he died OND quarter so not your man. If yours is the one born c1875 died 1915 in Bham the burial search isn't throwing anything up I'm afraid for Warwickshire or Staffordshire:(

Suzanne

Hi, yes he is the one born 1875, he died from liver cancer. he was not in the forces so not sure how he came to be in this particular hospital, at the time of his death his address was in Walsall, but I have searched all the burial records for Walsall and drawn a blank thats why I thought the hospital may have buried him, is there a possibility that he was cremated?

Back