• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tastes Of The Past

remember all these lovely foods but how about the treat in winter, camp coffee didnt have it often but a divine taste
to die for edd

Ahh, Camp Coffee....you have to draw the line somewhere and that is it. My dad loved it made with steri milk a taste I never shared. Anyone remember the Tow Rope cafe opposite the Rum Runner? They used to sell it. Roll out of the runner about 02:30 and if you couldn't afford a curry and a jug of 'water' at the Star of Asia it was into the cafe for tea and a fry up.

Ahh, Camp Coffee....you have to draw the line somewhere and that is it. My dad loved it made with steri milk a taste I never shared. Anyone remember the Tow Rope cafe opposite the Rum Runner? They used to sell it. Roll out of the runner about 02:30 and if you couldn't afford a curry and a jug of 'water' at the Star of Asia it was into the cafe for tea and a fry up.

Had a few late night fry ups in the Tow Rope after Barbarellas closed. Cant remember what coffee they sold, but from what I remember of the place it wasnt the Coffee that was camp !

You can still get Camp Coffee. I saw some on sale here in Canada about a year or two ago. The little bottle still looked the same to me. I prefer the regular coffee beans. They must have used this in camp during the Criamean war. Actually this was on sale in a butchers store.

You can still get Camp Coffee. I saw some on sale here in Canada about a year or two ago. The little bottle still looked the same to me. Can't think why anyone would buy this in place of the real stuff though. They must have used this in camp during the Criamean war. Actually this was on sale in a butchers store.

It was actually chicory with a tiny amount of coffee added.

I recall two treats from my childhood that I revisited as an adult. Rum Baba's a childhood treat from 'Barrows Store' (Barrases if a Brummie) in Birmingham when Mom was feeling like indulging herself and Big Choux pastry buns filled with cream we got from the baker's van on Fridays. The Rum Babas were sad shadows of what I remembered or was it simply that the ones I had as a kid were both a treat and naughty indulgence (even though the Rum was probably but a flavour)? The Choux buns were filled with what my Dad called Sympathetic cream.

Bernie when we moved from Hockley to Edgbaston, we used to get rum babas from cake shop on Broad Street at Five Ways - the syrup used to just drizzle through your fingers when you eat them. Delicious.

I used to use Camp Coffee for coffee and walnut cake, because it gave a better flavour in cake than instant coffee. I believe it is still available. Much prefer fresh coffee, but I do (or did) prefer synthetic cream to fresh.

We've just invested in a breadmaker. I got fed up with supermarket stuff full of preservatives that bloat me (I don't need any help to bloat myself, thankyou)!
A damson jam butty while the bread's still warm.....nomnomnom.

Just after the war when I was a youngster and sweets and chocolate were still on ration, Mom used to give us a cup with some cocoa in it mixed with a bit of sugar to dip our fingers in and lick. That was delicious to me.

We've just invested in a breadmaker. I got fed up with supermarket stuff full of preservatives that bloat me (I don't need any help to bloat myself, thankyou)!
A damson jam butty while the bread's still warm.....nomnomnom.
My son bought me one (I didn't want one) it got used now and again but not a real lot.

Recently I discovered Bread Mixes and now even better ones. Now we use it regularly and I often stop it at the Dough proven stage and bake in the oven. Much better and no tell tale hole in the bottom if you try to make out it is all your own work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my Nan buying an eel in the old Market in Bull Ring, and when she put it in the crock sink in her house Butler St South in Small Heath, it started swimming around .

I never did try her eels, but her toad in the hole was to die for

I have a large bottle of Camp Coffee in the cupboard. I put it on Vanilla Ice Cream to make coffee ice cream. My other half is from Yorkshire and makes really Yorkshire Pudding. She also makes Apple Pies that make your mouth water. She has a website where she puts the recipes.

If you want to save some money on food and other things have a look here www.approvedfood.co.uk

Have to go bye for now.

hi all
ive just been reading through this post and its bought back so many memorys for me
bread pudding, dripping sandwiches, rice pudding to name but a few.
I work in catering and one of our supervisers is a lady in her 60's she makes the most wonderfull bread pudding on a large scale, the only ones who seem to eat it are the old boys lol Myself and my manager have a habbit of syrup sandwiches for breakfast a few of the girls i work with says it turns the tummys and they dont know how we manage to eat it its what i grew up on

I make my own bread and bread and butter pudding and rice pudding at home and have an old soup cup in the fridge thats used for storing home made dripping makes the most wonderfull roast potatoes. im going to try and make some steamed pudding as i tell me kids it will stick to ya ribs and keep the cold out lol

im going to have to go into the kitchen now and start baking all this reading of old fashioned foods is making me hungry but you cant beat them can you

My Dad loved syrup sandwiches too celia!!
Nan was in catering and it was her job to cut up the wedding cakes so she would bring home bags of the crumbs and bits of icing, Dad had these on sandwiches too.
I make rice pudding in the slow cooker, I love bread-and-butter pudding, haven't made it for ages.
rosie.

i did make a treacle sponge last week the old fashioned way
when i turned it out and looked at my handy work my son whos 15 said "what in gods name have you made mother" "treacle sponge i replied feeling rather proud of my first attempt. He looked at it poked it and sniffed it and said "give us the spoon i'll have a go". I had to pul the bowl away from him otherwise there would be none left for thr rest of us.
Now when he comes home from school and asks what for dinner he also asks if we are getting pudding with it lol

Now when his mates come to call for him they ask "have you made any cakes james's mom" apparently their mom dont bake cakes

Back