• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where are these pubs...???

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks ive been given quite a few nice pic of pubs in brum..only trouble is there are no locations written on the back of them:cry: so i wonder if our pub experts could take a look at these 3 and perhaps tell me the st/rd where they are or more likely were....

cheers..

i love this first one with the workman getting in on the act..maybe a clue with the sign on this one..

the turks head...

Attachments

• Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 6
pub 3...the cross keys...sorry if these have been posted before but i cant recall seeing them..

Attachments

• Ladywood Cross Keys Steward St.JPG
    Ladywood Cross Keys Steward St.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 5
Hi Lyn Thats the best Photo of the Turks Head i,ve ever seen its on the corner of Bloomsbury St the bus is the 43 going toward Nechells Green and you can just make out Bloomsbury Library on the Saltley Rd Great stuff thanks for posting.Dek

thanks dek..thats great and ive now written the location on the back of the pic i have...

1 down 2 to go:)

thanks dwilly ive written that down....just the cross keys to sort out now....:)

lyn

There appears to have been a few cross keys in Birmingham over the years, have you any other details on it?

hi dwilly ive just got my magnifing glass out and the shop next door looks to say E PRICE licensed to sell tabacco so maybe if someone could have a look in the kellys to see where they were trading....cant see this pub being here now though...

Lyn
Hav edone that for 1956 and all the E Prices that could be it (ie listed as shopkeeper, confectionary store, newsagent etc listed of that date were not listed as next to licensed premises. Hav eyou any idea s to the approx. date ?
Mike

I think I have found it . The Cross Keys , 81 Steward St . I have a picture (from forum presumably) more recent , as shown below. No 80 Steward st in 1950 and 1955 was Ethel Price

the_cross_keys2Cstewart_st_dec_2008.jpg

Hi Lyn Thats the best Photo of the Turks Head i,ve ever seen its on the corner of Bloomsbury St the bus is the 43 going toward Nechells Green and you can just make out Bloomsbury Library on the Saltley Rd Great stuff thanks for posting.Dek

I Agree Dek, Could not have put it any better.

Is there anything about " The Cross Keys " that was at the corner of Coleman Street and Windsor Street ????

oh well done mike...is steward st off dudley road/spring hill...i think it was me who took that pic:D as i remember mumbling under me breath about the parked car...:D

Now if you had shone me the latest photo i,d have got it, right opposite is a Cafe I used to use quite often when i was in that area. Dek

what a shame to see it like that...but at least we have a pic of how it used to be...

lyn

this one maybe more difficult as i cant see any clues as to the name of the pub on the corner or the location...

Attachments

• DUKE OF YORK ASTON RD NORTH 1960.jpg
    DUKE OF YORK ASTON RD NORTH 1960.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 3
thanks phil..thats great...i have one or two more to solve so will post them tomorrow

lyn

morning mike...im confused again..lol..are you saying that ells recent pic of the craven arms is not the same pub as i posted a pic of...it looks like it to me....

thanks mike...

lyn

Sorry to Ell and Lyn. Was getting confused. Swear I wasn't on the pop. Have deleted post
Mike

:D mike..confuse is my middle name...must say i like the look of the exterior of that pub..wonder what the inside is like.....must try and pay it a visit....:)

thanks mike....

Lyn

The Craven Arms is nothing special inside, no different to many other pubs of the period. I haven't been in there since the 60's I was in there with a mate and two girls and we were asked to leave. We were in this very room and it was empty so we were having a little cuddle with the girls, I think the landlord must have gotten a little jealous.

Phil

CravenArms.jpg

thanks for the pic phil...dont mind pubs that are nothing special it usually means they havnt been knocked to pieces...had to laff at your story of being asked to leave the pub..similar thing happened to me at the crooked house in himley:D....hasten to add i was only about 17 at the time...

Thanks Lyn some nice photos there which i haven`t seen before , the first one is
the best though of the Turks Head , it has a lot of details to it
the bus , gas lamps , sign post , beacon , and not forgetting the man whos just
dug that hole in the road .
ragga :)

Back