• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Thanks for the photo's Dek. I listened to a chat show on radio WM and people were phoning in about their memories of the old Birmingham cinema's.

Quote---- If anyone knows the name of the Pub it would fill a gap in the old memory bank.
Alf the pub was the Red Lion

The News Theatre was next door between Albert St and Carrs Lane M&S was the other side of the Lane. Dek

Thank you Dek can't get No2 photo to work

Those are just brilliant, Toecaps, and my only fear is that this theatre stuff will get lost amonst the cinema thread. This theatre should merit a thread of its own.

I wonder just how many of these acts got a mention in subsequent theatre notes in 19th century newspapers, i.e. how many made it into the big time provincial theatre.

Maurice :cool:

HI elizabeth great to see the old "OAK" in all its glory I had some smashing times there.
regards
paul stacey
I went there a few times Paul, late 60s early 70s, its long gone, Sainsburys supermarket now,

What about the Mayfair Cinema on College Road, Kingstanding. Where the Cinema was is now the Mayfair Passage.

Went to the Newtown Palace once in the 40's or early 50's , what a dump !! and the audience were completely out of control, shouting and running up and down the aisles, if I remember part of the seating was wooden benches. My usual 'local' cinemas were the Vic ( Victoria Play House) in Victoria Rd, the Astoria and the Aston Cross why I went to the Newtown Palace (??) I'll never know, there was another one nearby, almost as bad called the Globe. Eric

Who remembers the Apollo on Tyburn Rd, Erdington which was more or less opposite the Norton pub and Maidens shop? A block of shops stands there now.

Back