• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What type of motor cycle?

there is a name on the tank but hard to read, I have seen the same set up of the type by his knee and tank on a early Valocette.
paul

I think looking at how low down the exhaust pipes are at the front its a 2 stroke of some sort

Pedrocut, I had a similar query about a motor cycle my nan and grandad rode and I was able to get all the details because a friend was able to tell me that the number plate was registered in Walsall, Dudley and the records were still on file...the plate was DH532D so I am wondering if your bike was registered in Dudley too. My bike was a New Imperial as shown below. If you can bear with me I could ask my friend if the reg is likely to be Dudley too...and also I will have to check back and find the phone number that I rang.

normal_Gorgot_Hill_1928_(Large).jpg

Last edited:
Great minds eh dwilly !!! Think you might be right with the OF on looking at it again..I thought it was DF...I really should get my glasses checked lol

Great link too !! DF was Gloucestershire

Last edited:
"OF" registrations were issued between May 1929 and April 1930, and being a high number would be very close to the latter date.

Dunno if it's a Frannie because of the gear lever mounting at the front of the tank - this is not a typical F-B hand shifter arrangement. It is, however,certainly a Villiers engine (probably a twin-port model) but these were used by a multitude of manufacturers.

To find out about the motor cycle my Nan was riding it was suggested that I contact the Walsall Local History Centre and they fortunately held the Old Registration records and the details for the Cycle were in the records :). I found out exactly when it was first registered, by whom and the Make etc and then when it was re-registered (by my Grandad) and then when and where it was finally scrapped.
I wonder if Birmingham Library might hold the records for Birmingham Registrations ?? Might be worth asking if they do or if they know if they survived and where they would be.

Some local authorities preserved their motor registration records in the local libraries or archive department, but many including Birmingham's were all destroyed when the DVLA transferred every still-current vehicle onto computer. A friend who worked at the Oozells St office at the time remembers all the dusty files from day 1 being brought up from the basements and put into a skip. EVERY local licencing authority had maintained EVERY record until then.

Oh no !! What a crying shame Lloyd..puts paid to that idea then, but also saves the trouble of trying to find them !! Thanks for knowing !!!
Back to the drawing board to try and help Pedrocut then I guess..
Pedrocut, you could try The National Motor Cycle Museum or some of the Vintage Bike sites on the web..

there is a name on the tank but hard to read, I have seen the same set up of the type by his knee and tank on a early Valocette.
paul

Thanks everyone for their interest in the motor cycle.

I do think it may be a Velocette, but most images on Google seem to show bikes from the other side.

Came across Classic Motorbikes.net that has a few examples.

https://classic-motorbikes.net/gallery~Velocette-GTP

Best wishes Peter

img129.jpgThis is a very old bike my cousin and I found at his father's farm in 1952. We assembled it, less a petrol tank, and by towing with a tractor had it going. The rear tyre we filled with straw and used a "Chemico" tin for the fuel. We new it was a Royal Enfield and by measuring the bore and stroke worked out what we thought the capacity was. We came to the conclusion it was a 350cc twin cylinder. (how wrong we could be!!). It had two "gears" operated by a clutch arrangement via a rod secured on the frame at saddle level. The front brake was a simple wedge of fibre forced into a concentric ring as can be seen. Great fun but sadly discarded like so many others.

Back